SA-43 Hammerhead Fighter

Gandolf50

Researcher of obscure between war vehicles...
Staff member
Hmmmm that would enter into the realm of miracles also...just tooooooo much to do! I got the mesh...and I even got most of the main textures to work..( amazing how no matter what type file or what software...the textures NEVER import correctly!! ) ..not that that matters..they are really crude and need to be totally redone! as well as dumping the pilot out and re-working the cockpit!

Hammerhead.jpg

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
This is funny, I don't think Gandalf has agreed to do it. I don't know if you can realize how hard it is to certain types of models that aren't boxes and triangles. It is extremely time consuming.!!

starbuck

This is funny, I don't think Gandalf has agreed to do it. I don't know if you can realize how hard it is to certain types of models that aren't boxes and triangles. It is extremely time consuming.!!
You´re right, but I think we try to convince him with our comments to do it. ;)

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
I understand the sentiment, but it is why I have so many finalized designs and do not release them. Too much pressure. However, he is psychologically more stable than I am, and I can't, and am not implying (though it may seem that way), that I speak for him. ;)

p.s. Love the work you've been doing, and the variety. I got a metal blimp, and my big fat fingers are problematic, also my wife picked it up moved it, and I think I am missing parts. I have a Cameo Silhouette cutter that can cut out these things. :)

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I know the feeling. I have so many open projects, too. I pick them one by one. It is very easy for me to come up with a nice GC model but texturing, test building and making the instructions are the most labour intense parts. One thing which makes everything even more complicated is, some steps are preliminary in the final unfold and will be fixed during the first test. That's part of my workflow. Mostly I know where and what the issues are, even before unfolding, but I have to determine how to fix it. So in fact I am the only one who knows how to put the things together and therefore I can't just pass the unfolded pattern onto someone for test-building. :)

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
I know the feeling. I have so many open projects, too. I pick them one by one. It is very easy for me to come up with a nice GC model but texturing, test building and making the instructions are the most labour intense parts. One thing which makes everything even more complicated is, some steps are preliminary in the final unfold and will be fixed during the first test. That's part of my workflow. Mostly I know where and what the issues are, even before unfolding, but I have to determine how to fix it. So in fact I am the only one who knows how to put the things together and therefore I can't just pass the unfolded pattern onto someone for test-building. :)

That is why everyone wants your models. You ALWAYS go that extra mile (kilometer ;)) to make certain that the models that you produce are topnotch!:Drinks:

Gandolf50

Staff member
And here I was trying to get a group of OTHERS to work on it for the good of all!!

COOP! COOP! COOP!

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
If it wasn't for the hours I put every day into this forum, I'd probably actually build one of the many models I have designed! :)

Last edited:

Sky Seeker

Well Established Member
I understand the sentiment, but it is why I have so many finalized designs and do not release them. Too much pressure. However, he is psychologically more stable than I am, and I can't, and am not implying (though it may seem that way), that I speak for him. ;)

p.s. Love the work you've been doing, and the variety. I got a metal blimp, and my big fat fingers are problematic, also my wife picked it up moved it, and I think I am missing parts. I have a Cameo Silhouette cutter that can cut out these things. :)

That sure would make life easier having one of those. How well does it work and how twitchy is it? The model above looks great.

Sky Seeker
:tank:

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
I think if I had read the instructions carefully, wasn't so presumptuous in thinking "I don't need no stinking instructions", it would have come out reat. It was going along nicely after I did read the instructions, but my wife put a pile of mail and book on it and flatted the assembled piece out. The metal could probably be straightened out, and redone, but I lost interest it in. I like blimps, and have built a few paper ones, (they make great gliders if you add a litle weight to the noce!) but I'd rather have one of the neat ones like Starbuck made.

The Cameo Silhouette pissed me off as I spent a good 8 hours trying to get it to work, called them up, they said nothing was wrong. I spend eight more hours, called them up again, got a different tech, and he asked me to perform one test. I did, he said the results of that test showed it was defective, and they would be sending me another one. You make to take the model and trace out the edge you want cut with control points. It is extremely laborious., for one model. If you were going to make a bunch of the same model, then it would be great. Pepakura has a program you can buy the works with the Cameo cutter and cuts the parts out automatically. I never tried it because I never work with Pepakura. The machine does do what it says, but it does take a lot of work. The company, by the way, are an extremely nice group of people, they were extremely apologetic. Wasting 16 hours of my time trying to get it works just has turned me off to try and bother with it. It is essentially brand new, with maybe 1 hour of cutting, but I have no inclination to work with it again in the near future. :)

Sky Seeker

Well Established Member
I think if I had read the instructions carefully, wasn't so presumptuous in thinking "I don't need no stinking instructions", it would have come out reat. It was going along nicely after I did read the instructions, but my wife put a pile of mail and book on it and flatted the assembled piece out. The metal could probably be straightened out, and redone, but I lost interest it in. I like blimps, and have built a few paper ones, (they make great gliders if you add a litle weight to the noce!) but I'd rather have one of the neat ones like Starbuck made.

The Cameo Silhouette pissed me off as I spent a good 8 hours trying to get it to work, called them up, they said nothing was wrong. I spend eight more hours, called them up again, got a different tech, and he asked me to perform one test. I did, he said the results of that test showed it was defective, and they would be sending me another one. You make to take the model and trace out the edge you want cut with control points. It is extremely laborious., for one model. If you were going to make a bunch of the same model, then it would be great. Pepakura has a program you can buy the works with the Cameo cutter and cuts the parts out automatically. I never tried it because I never work with Pepakura. The machine does do what it says, but it does take a lot of work. The company, by the way, are an extremely nice group of people, they were extremely apologetic. Wasting 16 hours of my time trying to get it works just has turned me off to try and bother with it. It is essentially brand new, with maybe 1 hour of cutting, but I have no inclination to work with it again in the near future. :)

Z - That's good to know. Something like that was conveyed on the Genet site regarding their models. However, they have made their models explicitly for cutting out in that fashion. Would be interesting to see one of these cutters in action - when they work. That's again for sharing your experience.:)

Sky Seeker

Gandolf50

Staff member
Z - That's good to know. Something like that was conveyed on the Genet site regarding their models. However, they have made their models explicitly for cutting out in that fashion. Would be interesting to see one of these cutters in action - when they work. That's again for sharing your experience.:)

Sky Seeker

I don't do a lot with mine..but do use it for things that are time consuming or I have to repeat over and over...had trouble with it at first..but I was following tutorial from someone else and got fed up with it..I then did it my own way..and get great results in very little time...you do have to go in and tweak the control points to get quality results..when you trace something...but if you are doing multiples of things ( like tank treads or tire treads ) you only have to do it once, and copy and paste!
the card I made for the wife took perhaps a total of ten minutes to trace and cut out..( I had the design already!) http://www.zealot.com/threads/what-do-you-mean-its-december.179663/ and that is on some heavy duty card stock!
My main cons are I did not get the upgrade to import svg files..but I can work around that...and I did not get the scan and cut mat...which will let you scan the work on the mat..trace it...then cut it.

Pepakura has the designer to use Cameo $$..but there is also a plugin that will allow you to send it directly from Inkscape..so you can bypass the Cameo software altogether! For FREE!

So all in all I give it 8 out of 10...for what I can and do with it!

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
It is quite a piece of machinery, but having to trace all the parts with control points, yeech. I believe there is a way of doing it with .DXF files, by extracting the boundary of the part, but I mostly do one off models, so the time isn't worth it. I'd say 7 out of 10, but could see 8 out of 10 too. I'd never get another one though. :)

wulf111

@Gandolf50... decent looking Hammerhead model. i would like to offer to help i do well with 3D models in 3DSMax but i cant texture worth a darn.

@all ... i have had my Cameo for a couple of years now and have used it a lot. usually takes me about 5-10 minutes to set up a page to cut. and using the software i can upscale letter size pages to print on 11x17 and cut them out. the best way i have figured out is to use PDFill to extract the PDF pages to .png images and import them to the Silhouette Studio. i then manually trace the cut lines with the line tools (the trace function is worthless as far as i am concerned). so far i have traced 54 pages of Alien99's Sulaco and several other models.

Gandolf50

Staff member
@Gandolf50... decent looking Hammerhead model. i would like to offer to help i do well with 3D models in 3DSMax but i cant texture worth a darn.

@all ... i have had my Cameo for a couple of years now and have used it a lot. usually takes me about 5-10 minutes to set up a page to cut. and using the software i can upscale letter size pages to print on 11x17 and cut them out. the best way i have figured out is to use PDFill to extract the PDF pages to .png images and import them to the Silhouette Studio. i then manually trace the cut lines with the line tools (the trace function is worthless as far as i am concerned). so far i have traced 54 pages of Alien99's Sulaco and several other models.

Got ya! I hear ya..but it actually depends on what you are scanning... or importing rather.. if the PDF page is a scan and therefore a raster image ..your way is as good as any.. but quite a few are vector images and therefore importing into inkscape and cutting from there is really better...as you have quite a bit more control over the vector or you could take it and convert to dfx and then import to Cameo..( i don't have the upgrade to import SVG) but that is possible also. As soon as the problems are worked out here with files I will let you know about the model..would love someone to help with it!