Rolex watch w/ Rolex box under constuction

Craftman

So, I decided to make my own Rolex watch from paper with a nice classy Rolex box to keep it in!
My design and idea for the watch itself is based on the Fauxlex papercraft watch by Matthew Nicholson, however I have changed so many details (and dimensions) that it feels like a brand new design.
Still, I want to give credit to the original designer! Matt, you did an amazing job!

The Rolex watch box is my own creation from scratch!

I started with printing the inside of my watch with the classic green back side label and all the important engravings...

01.jpg 02.jpg

...then turned it over and used a gold ink pen to fill in about where the spaces between the parts will be. As I built it on the back side with no help from any pattern except for the one I drew on it, it was an interesting challenge! :)
I also glued on a housing (just a long strip of paper curved to fit)...

Last edited:

Craftman

Then it was time for the glass cover, because I wanted that on my watch! :) Well, plastic anyway.
I cut out a small piece from the date part of a duplicate dial and then used that to make a very small plastic piece, made from laminate plastic, that I put between two bigger pieces of laminate plastic (and laminateed them) and the end result was a flat piece of clear plastic with something that looked like a small enlarger glass on it!

05.jpg

Last edited:

Craftman

And then there was the watch box! Made a quick design of what I had guessed would be a quick build.
But, oh no! It was quite hard to make the design go from thought to paper to folding.
Started with the lid, and after a while I actually made it all fit together! :)
Also did an inlay to the lid with holder for certificates etc (like the real box)!

09.jpg 10.jpg 11.jpg

Craftman

I then whent on to build a very complicated inlay for the bottom part of the box, just because I wanted it to look like the real thing. Took some time to make everything fit like I had imagined (and not done any blueprints for). Why make it simple when you can make it hard? :)

Anyway, after a few (many) hours it all suddenly came together nicely and...

13.jpg

Last edited:

Craftman

...here is the end result!!! A finished watch with box!
Every little thing is made of paper (except for the dial glass), the certificates, the booklet, the leather folder, the red seal tag, even the strings and threads, I just LOVE papercraft! :)

14.jpg

Last edited:

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
WOW!!!
That is AMAZING!!!
You did a SPECTACULAR JOB on this project!
KUDOS TO YOU ON A FINE JOB WELL DONE!!!

If I may ask: Is this just for yourself, or are you planning to make this into a kit and have it available for download?

Ron Caudillo

Creative Advisory Consultant
Staff member
I really like to see projects other that the 'normal' stuff (not that I like them any less)! REALLY great design and build, a great showpiece. There is a real sense of accomplishment when you take a concept and end up with something tangible that you can hold and know that you did it.

I have two of the watch paper models (have to search for them), not sure if they are Matthew Nicholson's work. Where did you find them? I've not had the guts to try and build them yet.

Best Regards,

sjsquirrel

FANTASTIC project Craftman. A very impressive design and build, and like Ron, I too love seeing unusual subjects like this. You've provided an outstanding example of what can be done with papercraft when you set your mind to it. Very impressive.

Thanks for sharing this wonderful project.

Steve

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Absolutely amazing work! You should send the templates to Rolex; they will surely be blown away! :)

Craftman

Thank you all so much, I´m just happy with the end result, glad you liked it too!
I am also attaching a build picture I left out, just to show that I actually built the red tag seal too! :)

To Rhaven Blaack: Thank you! :) Really! If you think people would be interested I can surely turn it into a kit (I already have everything except the bottom part of the inlay done)! Should I?

To Ron Caudillo: It was a tough project, but worth it! Nice that it is appreciated!! I just used search engines to find the base model, wich is the Fauxlex illustrated watch, and then changed all the textures (and some measurements) to fit what I needed!
Oh, and when it comes to guts regarding builds, just build anything and have fun! :)

To sjsquirrel: Thank you very much! And yes, more things than I thought can actually be made from paper! Just very happy it turned out nice and that somebody liked it! :)

To PaperAir: Thank you!! It is real! Real paper! :)

To Xavier: Thanks so much! Happy you liked it! :)

To Revell-Fan: Thank you, thank you!! I wouldn't dare send it to Rolex! :)

To starbuck: Thanks a million! It took a long time and it was worth every minute! :)

And the promised missing build picture... By twisting a thin slice of paper that was green on one side I could make it look like it was one white thread and one green thread twisted together!
Fun to construct, for sure!

See ya on the next project! :)

16.jpg

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
With the reaction and comments that you have received, that is a STRONG indication that people are interested in this model.
Since you have everything done, YES, BY ALL MEANS, please turn this into a template for download, and upload it to the RESOURCE Section (in the "EVERYTHING ELSE" category).
I do believe that this will be WARMLY received by all!