Re-Introductions:

-Jim G

Hello everyone! I have been an inactive member of this forum for quite a while. I see that I joined in 2005. Over time I started having troubles with pain in my hands when handling an X-Acto knife, and it was that pain that caused me to wander away from this hobby. I like to design models, but when doing so I end up building a lot to make sure everything fits and lines up. Then Ecardmodels crashed and my collaborators at Design Group Alpha lost all of the models that we had listed.

Last year a co-worker asked if I could create a model of an airplane that was fond in his memory. His neighbor owned the aircraft when he was growing up. He produced a picture and I went to work. That model is a Piper Super Cruiser in 1:48 scale. I learned to use a Stanley utility knife for most cuts and that alleviated my hand pain. The other members of Design Group Alpha took my new model and started to create liveries, and we decided to restablish our selves at Ecardmodels.

The Super Cruiser models lead to creation of a new Piper J-3 Cub model and got us all digging through our hard drives to find and recover most of our old DGA models. It is a lot of work to list them, but we are coming right along with it.

IMG_20210215_115203.jpgIMG_20210204_115343.jpgFlock.jpgIMG_20210314_133918.jpg

Last edited:

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Hello Jim,

Please let me be the first one to welcome you back to Zealot! I am sorry to hear that you had issues with your hands and that you had to drop the hobby because of it. With that being said, I am glad that you were able to find an alternative that actually helps you out.

Your models look AMAZING! They look very life-like! IF you are interested, you are more than welcome upload your model templates here. We can host them for you. You will have full control over them and take them down when every you wish.

As you may have seen, there have been quite a few changes to the forum as a whole. So, if you have any questions, comments, concerns, need help or advice. Please feel free to ask and we will do what we can to help you (or at least point you in the right direction).

Once again, welcome back. I hope that you enjoy yourself here. I look forward to seeing more of your work.

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hello and welcome back to the forum! :)

Thank you very much for your re-introduction. Your planes look awesome! Thank you for showing them to us here. :)

I hope you will be able to cope with your hand issues to enjoy the hobby for a long time.

Have fun and enjoy! :)

RF

-Jim G

Thanks for the kind, and encouraging words!

I have a link to the Design Group Alpha models in my signature. With the Piper J-3 Cub model we have about 30 liveries so far, including a number of L-4 Grasshoppers. This is an easy model to build and would be great for any beginner. It is true to scale. I have done some elaborate step-by-step photo instructions. The instructions are downloadable for no cost here: link removed Violation of forum rules

All of the money that Design Group Alpha collects through model sales is donated to Aviation Museums.

Last edited by a moderator:

micahrogers

Moderator "Where am I, and how did I get here?"
Staff member
Hi Jim,
Welcome Back Aboard!
I too have issues with pain in the arms and hands. I can simpathize with you on that. There are days when I can barely hold a cup, but most days I can make due.
Glad to hear that you are found a way to cut that works for you!

mijob

Tie designer
Staff member
Hello Jim, nice to see that you find your way back to this forum.

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
First, welcome back to Zealot. It's great to see members start posting again.

I hate to be that guy, but I must. Even though you donate your profits to aviation museums, no advertising of "pay for" models can be done of this forum. There is a work around for that. If you do a complete construction thread on an aircraft, at the end of the build, you can post a one time link to where it can be obtained. That is the only way. Chris Gutzmer knows this and understands this about Zealot. I send many people his way through P.M.'s, which is fine to do. Otherwise, only free works can be posted, and you will noticed that threads are made for "purchased" models.

Read the forum rules and policies, it's all in there. Welcome back. I am a former pilot and have a weak spot for aircraft, and you ave some beauties there. To be honest though, I can find far more detailed models for free, and design them myself. Please understand that this has always been what Zealot is about, free, and sharing models, knowledge, CAD techniques, but all for free, no money involved. I have also removed you "Design Group Alpha" link in your profile signature, as that also violates forum rules. Thanks. If you have any questions P.M. me with them. Don't do it in the forum section, everyone here already knows the rules.

Zathros
Administrator
Zealot

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
No problem. I'd love to see your aircraft build threads. Aircraft are my soft spot. If you are ever looking for something FREE, let me know, I have tons of FREE aircraft, and these are legitimately FREE. SOme are quite difficult, but worth the effort. The Dehaviland Dragon Rapide model thread is a great example of a pay for model, full interior, and a 2 foot wingspan! He can post where he got it because of his build thread.

There are too many free models to be listed, some where frankly are not available in any other form. :)

Check out the free model list on this page: https://carton.pierreg.org//projet/myproj.htm