Raketoplán (Space shuttle) Endeavour STS-49 / ABC 1:100 / L. Badalec

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
That's coming out very nice. If you could mitigate some of the white outlines of the nose tiles to very fine (maybe with a pin, then wipe) you would improve an already excellent model. Those tiles fit in very tight, tighter than most people could believe were possible. No two tiles were the same, such was the nature of the beast. The picture below explains it. Or don't bother, the model is fantastic! The tiles are much more than the others I have seen, that is why I mention this. It's not a criticism. Just an observation on an ultra-detailed model. ;)

NASA Shuttle Tiles.jpg

Last edited:

wedge

Thank you very much guys, it is always a pleasure to read such positive comments.

Zathros, you are right and I was going to make these white stripes, but the problem is, that I am building STS - 49 in space. That was the first flight of Endeavour, so it was clean and new. It was before the first reentry of this shuttle. But still, I would like to make this kind of patina anyway

So I decided to cut the windows, because I felt that it was a right think to do, but to be honest I don't have the backup plan for this situation I need to figure out, chow to put some sort of interior here. I have some idea, but I am opened to suggestions

I was afraid about the integrity of the cockpit, but it is not an issue at all. I reinforced the struts with the super glue, so It should be fine. I will probably cut a much bigger opening from the payload bay and just insert the interior (it will be very simplified probably) also thinking about the interior lights..

Attachments

• IMG_20230910_113605.jpg
    IMG_20230910_113605.jpg
    333.7 KB · Views: 12

micahrogers

Moderator "Where am I, and how did I get here?"
Staff member
Jul 12, 2012
Shannon GA
At that scale you could cheat, and just build a dash visor and put a pic of the flight deck behind it. Great model, I saw STS 49 come home, watched the reentry fireball crawl across the sky.

Reactions: wedge

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Thank you very much guys, it is always a pleasure to read such positive comments.

Zathros, you are right and I was going to make these white stripes, but the problem is, that I am building STS - 49 in space. That was the first flight of Endeavour, so it was clean and new. It was before the first reentry of this shuttle. But still, I would like to make this kind of patina anyway

So I decided to cut the windows, because I felt that it was a right think to do, but to be honest I don't have the backup plan for this situation I need to figure out, chow to put some sort of interior here. I have some idea, but I am opened to suggestions

I was afraid about the integrity of the cockpit, but it is not an issue at all. I reinforced the struts with the super glue, so It should be fine. I will probably cut a much bigger opening from the payload bay and just insert the interior (it will be very simplified probably) also thinking about the interior lights..

The cut out windows really adds so much to the model. Don't worry about the interior, if you were that far from it, you couldn't see anyting anyways. I understand now this being a first flight, don't bother listening to me. I only make comments on models like that when I feell they are "1%'er's" models. :)

mijob

Tie designer
Staff member
Jul 5, 2020
Netherlands
I decided to try lights also. My first time. alli express searched. We will see. Do you have some experience with it?
I dont have experiance yet. I will use smal LED's and a rechargeable batterie.

micahrogers

Moderator "Where am I, and how did I get here?"
Staff member
Jul 12, 2012
Shannon GA
Those are the evalons, and thier in pitch up position, The ailerons are outboard. perhaps at this time the pilot is commanding pitch up an the joystick? I don't remember is the aerodynamic surfaces move with the reaction control system.

wedge

Well I was thinking what to do with the instrument panel. I asked my daughter if she has some blue foil because I was thinking about putting lights behind the panel. She gave me this swim suit label and it was perfect I can just put the light inside the cabin somewhere and the display will illuminate in a different blue shades.. I think, it will do the job :)

Attachments

• IMG_20230915_223115.jpg
    IMG_20230915_223115.jpg
    750.1 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20230915_223050.jpg
    IMG_20230915_223050.jpg
    531 KB · Views: 8

wedge

Because the window surroundings took quite a lot demage, I decided to change them. I used the Fortezza shuttle windows and start to cut the older ones and replace them.

Also I decided to erease the lines that I made with the pencil and hide them quite significantly, because I was not quite happy with them ( you can compare the left and the right side) Instead I used the knife to "draw" them and it works better for me. The skin looks more plastic and also it helped to optically separate the different white paper that is used around the windows and the rest of the thermal blanket made from much whiter paper.

Attachments

• IMG_20230928_133959.jpg
    IMG_20230928_133959.jpg
    748.6 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20230928_133928.jpg
    IMG_20230928_133928.jpg
    648 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20230928_133905.jpg
    IMG_20230928_133905.jpg
    518 KB · Views: 9