R.I.P. mates ( ... but only today! ;-) )

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Moderator
Aug 1, 2009
11,738
12,553
228
Vreden
Hello strange creatures, monsters and otherworldly beings,

today's crosswords called for the furniture of the day, necessary for any everlasting nap. And what else could it be other than - a coffin? And since it is Halloween it was time to make a whole collection for my colleagues at work. You see, I simply love them to death! :biggrin:


:skull:skull:skull


Now then. Everything started with Ravensblight's magnificent deluxe coffin templates which you can find here.

I chose the Mahogany version and assembled a prototype to see how the parts go together:

DSCF1707.jpg

DSCF1708.jpg

The model is very well designed and comes with very cool textures. Ray even added a padding to the inside:

DSCF1709.jpg

The double lamination makes the model stronger than usual but I needed even stronger card to make the coffins sturdy enough to fulfill their purpose.

DSCF1710.jpg

So I transferred the pattern onto thicker card and made a stencil. I resized it to a size of 18cm.

DSCF1600.jpg

I re-arranged the pattern to make cutting and assembly easier.

DSCF1601.jpg

Then I traced the pattern onto heavy cardstock and began assembly.

DSCF1602.jpg

As a side effect this procedure allowed me to save paper. Each coffin would have needed three pages of paper which would have resulted in 48 pages in total for this project. The way I did it only required a total amount of 5 pages (two pattern pages and three additional pages for decoration).

DSCF1603.jpg

DSCF1604.jpg

DSCF1605.jpg

This is the first of 16 coffins. In order to make the collection more attractive I chose three different colours to make them:

DSCF1606.jpg

Now it was time for decoration. I thought it would be a nice gimmick to have a corpse inside each coffin and luckily Ray provided one complete with a quilted blanket. I resized it to fit with the new pattern.

DSCF1609.jpg

DSCF1610.jpg

The outside was to feature the golden handles from the original template. I isolated them and printed them on a separate page. After cutting them out

DSCF1631.jpg

they were glued around the bottom halves of the coffins. I used a paper strip as a guide to determine the position of the handles.

DSCF1632.jpg

DSCF1635.jpg

With the addition of the handles the bottom halves were finished. Now I was able to turn to the decoration of the lids.

DSCF1637.jpg

Several square pieces were cut from leftover card (three pieces for each coffin).

DSCF1638.jpg

At a local store I found these adorable ghosts made of felt. A clear thread was knotted to one eye.

DSCF1639.jpg

Each thread was glued to one of the card squares.

DSCF1640.jpg
 
Last edited:
DSCF1643.jpg

There were three different lengths for the threads (3.5, 5 and 6.5cm).

The template for the lid got some holes to add position marks.

DSCF1641.jpg

These were used to add a cross to the surface. The cross was made of two golden sticker borders.

DSCF1642.jpg

The lids were turned around and the ghosts were added to the inside. The short-threaded ghost was glued into the middle, the others were attached randomly. Each lid got three ghosts with different lengths.

DSCF1644.jpg

DSCF1645.jpg

DSCF1646.jpg

The lid was turned around again and six nails were painted on using a golden marker:

DSCF1647.jpg

The body was filled with sweets:

DSCF1648.jpg

DSCF1650.jpg

DSCF1657.jpg

So many coffins! :)

DSCF1658.jpg

DSCF1661.jpg

Once you lift off the lid

DSCF1686.jpg

DSCF1687.jpg

the ghosts begin to float!

DSCF1679.jpg

DSCF1681.jpg

DSCF1701.jpg

And when you finish the sweets you uncover the dark secret of the coffin:

DSCF1682.jpg

The Haribo man whose cold bones are crushed, grinded and boiled into gelatine to create new gummy bears!!!

BOO! :D
 
Last edited:
1667246819733.jpg

All coffins were then prepared for transport, and what would be better suited than my good ol' trusty coffin box which was used to transport the very first Halloween gift I made for my colleagues 9 years ago! :)

DSCF1684.jpg

DSCF1685.jpg

When I made the box I knew that I would put a series of coffins inside some day - and now this day had come.

We had an absolute blast when we came together at work. The coffins were gone in no time and I think I have to make two more. At the office they even started to trade the sweets! :biggrin:

And if you ask me what will happen to the prototype coffin - it may be transferred to another location, too. Good ol' Frank has gratiously taken care of it:

1667246819696.jpg

Thanks for watching! :)
 
Last edited:
Thank you very much! :)

One of the best side effects was this: I had so much leftover black card from previous prjects in my stash and I did not know what to do with it. There were many pieces of various sizes which were too small for any bigger project, however, here I was able to use ALL of them to build the walls of the caskets. Even the new card I bought was used with almost no excess (one sheet of 50x70cm card is enough to make six coffins). :)