Proof of concept...

Vortex_4200

Jun 17, 2008
Oklahoma
I am trying to figure out a good proof of concept for showing off stuff I have created which is basically liquid plastic.
The cool thing about it is (literally and figuratively) I combine the components to make the stuff and there is no thermal reactions and no need to apply heat to combine the materials.
I have a paper stormtrooper helmet that I had created and used a spray bottle and sprayed it on, and it hardened into plastic, with a few coats it could be hard to tell paper from real molded plastic.
First problem I found is the spray bottle cannot give an even coating over the surface, I think I have a solution for that problem.
But now is this problem, what should I build to create a good proof of concept?
Suggestions or ideas??

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
If you say what your spraying and using to spray, you will get some good advice of how to make it spray and leave a smoother coat. :)

Vortex_4200

Jun 17, 2008
Oklahoma
The idea I have for spraying is a pump spray bottle, I figure that will give me the smooth even coat that I am looking for, but any suggestions for WHAT to build for my proof of concept, I have been entertaining the idea of the batman armor, you have to admit it is very cool :)
Just not sure where to go next with the idea(s)

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
You say you've "created", are you a chemist, or is something you concocted that works. If it is the latter, usually a thinning agent will give you a better finish, it just might take more time, or a little heat, like an incandescent light bulb, to speed it along. This thread needs some pics though. IMHO :)

spaceagent-9

Right Hand Man and Confidant
Jul 10, 2013
pheonix
I would build something that would have lots of curves and seams, but will look good after your plastic skin is applied. I would suggest something simple and small, any of my models would work, jleslies saucer, maybe a cannon printer site animal or dinosaur, I cant remember the author, but a small Gort and klatu saucer would look really good smooth.

Vortex_4200

Jun 17, 2008
Oklahoma
test001.jpg Here was the first test that I did with the use of the spray bottle, the blue color I added to show how even the (or lack there of) the spray was, I have been thinking of spraying a few more coats on to see if I can even it out, and no I am not a chemist, I just like playing with ideas and concepts and then try to create them if I can, that is what really got me into papermodels in the first place...

Reactions: Cybergrinder

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
You could always sand before building. When you have enough coatings, primer before you sand, and you will see the high spots. :)

ps. Nice looking helmet.

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
I have to agree with Bill, he's right. Airbrushing is the way to go. You get constant even coat. Much more controllable. :)