Proof of concept...

Vortex_4200

I am trying to figure out a good proof of concept for showing off stuff I have created which is basically liquid plastic.
The cool thing about it is (literally and figuratively) I combine the components to make the stuff and there is no thermal reactions and no need to apply heat to combine the materials.
I have a paper stormtrooper helmet that I had created and used a spray bottle and sprayed it on, and it hardened into plastic, with a few coats it could be hard to tell paper from real molded plastic.
First problem I found is the spray bottle cannot give an even coating over the surface, I think I have a solution for that problem.
But now is this problem, what should I build to create a good proof of concept?
Suggestions or ideas??

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
If you say what your spraying and using to spray, you will get some good advice of how to make it spray and leave a smoother coat. :)

Vortex_4200

The idea I have for spraying is a pump spray bottle, I figure that will give me the smooth even coat that I am looking for, but any suggestions for WHAT to build for my proof of concept, I have been entertaining the idea of the batman armor, you have to admit it is very cool :)
Just not sure where to go next with the idea(s)

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
You say you've "created", are you a chemist, or is something you concocted that works. If it is the latter, usually a thinning agent will give you a better finish, it just might take more time, or a little heat, like an incandescent light bulb, to speed it along. This thread needs some pics though. IMHO :)

spaceagent-9

Right Hand Man and Confidant
I would build something that would have lots of curves and seams, but will look good after your plastic skin is applied. I would suggest something simple and small, any of my models would work, jleslies saucer, maybe a cannon printer site animal or dinosaur, I cant remember the author, but a small Gort and klatu saucer would look really good smooth.

Vortex_4200

test001.jpg Here was the first test that I did with the use of the spray bottle, the blue color I added to show how even the (or lack there of) the spray was, I have been thinking of spraying a few more coats on to see if I can even it out, and no I am not a chemist, I just like playing with ideas and concepts and then try to create them if I can, that is what really got me into papermodels in the first place...

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
You could always sand before building. When you have enough coatings, primer before you sand, and you will see the high spots. :)

ps. Nice looking helmet.

Bill Nelson

if you could figure out a way to clean it, an airbrush might give you more control, and an a more even coat.

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
I have to agree with Bill, he's right. Airbrushing is the way to go. You get constant even coat. Much more controllable. :)