Please tell me I'm not the only one... (Serious)

Hello! I figured it was time to reach out and talk about something I struggle with on a daily basis...
I've began to feel like I am at my breaking point, every single hobby I sit down to enjoy, I end up failing before putting the pencil to paper. Drawing, Writing Music, and most of all Paper Modeling. I sit down, excited to work on projects that I have been hoping to work on for months and I don't even get done with one part before giving up. I don't know why I must struggle with these issues, if something doesn't fit right, I loose my work ethic, if something has a messed up print mark, I loose my work ethic, and if my cuts aren't clean and if it isn't perfectly assembled, I loose my work ethic. I don't know why I have been cursed with this mentality and I have no clue how to get rid of it. I FEEL LIKE I AM LOOSING MY MIND because I can't do any of the things I enjoy anymore. I hate doing every thing that I used to love and I have no clue how to regain my love for my hobbies anymore. I was curious if anybody felt the same as I did about these things and had any ideas on how to fix it because I have no clue what's wrong with me and I feel like I have nothing left. Don't worry about me though because I do have a therapist I meet with weekly and I am in a good state mentally, I just don't know how to fix these issues I have and was curious if anyone had any ideas on how I could combat that mentality because It would be greatly appreciated of me. I can't recount the last time I finished a project entirely and I just wish someone knew what approach I could have to combat these issues. Thank you all so much for reading and I hope that you all are having an excellent day.
-OSN Paper Models

Chuffy70

I'm truly sorry to hear that, if anything the hobbies we all enjoy are supposed to offer release from anxieties in the world offering a creative freedom through our ability to switch of and get stuck in.
Inability to finish anything is a mystery though, something must be afoot. It matters not to me whether the projects turn out okay, bent, sloppy or unfinished - the whole idea is to have fun and enjoy.
Sadly I am at a loss to offer any suggestions, I enjoy my hobby even more than ever, especially posting on this forum where the love, help and support is second to none.

The mere fact you have a therapist is a step in the right direction, maybe they have the answer you seek...

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Hello!!!
I wholeheartedly understand what you are going through. I have dealt with similar. Back in 2009 (which is when I discovered , the very first paper/cardstock model template (non-scratch built) that I built was the Buck Rogers Thunder Fighter. It looked like a "dog's dinner". I was greatly disappointed with how it turned out. I found other build threads of the Thunder Fighter and figured out what I had done wrong. After that, I proceeded to build it again (and again, and again). I had built that template so many times, that I could (more than likely) build it in my sleep.
It order to get through something (especially something that you may not have done before), it is always a good idea to see how others are doing the very same thing and see if there are any tips, tricks, or techniques that you might be able to garner from how the other person has done that very same thing. If you are not certain how to replicate said tips, tricks, or techniques, ask that person to help you through it, to help you understand. That is one of the many reasons why I have always encouraged members to post build threads (just for this very issue).

I hope that this helps you.

spaceagent-9

Right Hand Man and Confidant
Break it up into small tasks.
Keep a to do list of each task of a part assembly and then mark each one you complete.
Take pics of each part, ready for assembly and assembled, so you can post a build thread here.
Make sure you do something on each task every day. I do this and it really helps--

I have been very sick this winter with what was discovered as a sinus drip, from a tumor on my pituitary gland, located behind my nose and on the underside of my brain.
I get these adrenalin bursts, which I can't shut off and the production of the hormone wears me out after a big rush and then my sinuses drip, making me dizzy and very sick.
Finally, I found this out and got an over-the-counter decongestant, and I have been good on that ever since.
But I also had started Trulicity last summer for D2 blood sugar leveling, and after a few months developed an allergy to it.
Rashes, blisters and other emotional outbursts then crashing out.
Not fun and full of shame.
They stopped that and put me on insulin and metformin and Invokana.
Also, I use Cinnamon tea my friend Ron here at Zealot told me about, and Red Yeast Rice. which lowers blood sugar incredibly.
Both are over the counter. (I use the cinnamon tea instead of capsules because it upset my stomach).

I'm 62 and the health thing is really kicking my butt, but I love paper modeling and finding answers to the projects I start gives me satisfaction. I hope that you find the answers you need and continue to enjoy your hobbies. Maybe talking with a friend about them would help, giving you the ability to report progress and ideas, and other stuff about the hobby we all here love.:CHEERS:

THE DC

Highly Esteemed Member
Sometimes when you suffer extreme stress, or have been weathering a great deal of challenge, the hobby challenges that are normal and expected opportunities to overcome become tedious and stressful.

Been there...survived it.

I find taking on a similar, accomplishment-likely effort before entering more complicated efforts more attuned to you skill levels.

Sometimes you need a win before you take on another challenge. Try something more simple but different than your usual poison.

Remember; there's an old Irish saying; "a change is as good as a vacation."

mijob

Tie designer
Staff member
So sorry to hear this I hope your therapist can help you forward. Small steps can help. My wife went outside to get energy from the nature she walked for hours during the week.

micahrogers

Moderator "Where am I, and how did I get here?"
Staff member
I have just had a serious case of the "Blahhs" for almost a month now. My Millennium Falcon, and my Lego Light Cruiser are starring at me wondering when I'm gonna get back at them... I go thru these boughts regularly, and I have often just walked away from whatever I was working on, never to touch it again. I am determined to finish my MF, and the Lego ship, but I have had no desire to work on them. I know if I clear my bench and start something else, I'll be ok, but them my current projects will never get finished.

ennder

Go to your Dr. and have your thyroid and blood vitamin levels checked thoroughly. having a high thyroid lvl will make your body pass vitamins and minerals without absorbing what it needs. so your vitamin lvls (especially iron) will drop, causing listlessness.

mijob

Tie designer
Staff member
I have to say that it is good to see that we as a community try to help a member. It is also good to see that it is possible to share your feelings and thoughts.

OSN I hope you find out whats going on with you and I hope you can find away to enjoy your hobbies again.

micahrogers

Moderator "Where am I, and how did I get here?"
Staff member
Go to your Dr. and have your thyroid and blood vitamin levels checked thoroughly. having a high thyroid lvl will make your body pass vitamins and minerals without absorbing what it needs. so your vitamin lvls (especially iron) will drop, causing listlessness.
I have low thyroid hormones, so I take a pill to raise them, the Dr checks every 3 months and adjusts my meds as needed. Mine I think is more like SAD, Seasonal Affected Disorder, cause it always seems to hit right around Christmas.

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Don't make a whole model. Make a subsection, like the engine, or wheels. Make a pile of parts. Each one is a model unto itself. You are having a problem by looking at the end and it seeming over whelming. When I was a machinist, I enjoyed it. I would make a part, not having any idea (in the beginning) what it did. The I'd go to the flight line and see thee part on the helicopter. Little steps. Brick by Brick, build your church slowly. ;)

Last edited:

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
I have low thyroid hormones, so I take a pill to raise them, the Dr checks every 3 months and adjusts my meds as needed. Mine I think is more like SAD, Seasonal Affected Disorder, cause it always seems to hit right around Christmas.

My son is dealing with issue for the last 4 years. He could not finish his senior year. All the scholarships were coming in, then a problem with his hypothalamus and pituitary gland caused then to stop reacting with his adrenal gland properly. A very difficult situation. My heart goes out to you. He lost all those opportunities, but God is good, and I know it will all turn out well, he believes this also. WIth the tooling and equipment I have and am teaching him, he could start manufacturing whatever he would care to. :)