Oldies but Goodies. The Old Stuff.

toptrain1

Another Car Red Ball made is the Overland Oil and transportation Company. A weird box car with a oil tank built into the floor. Overland Oil and transportation Co..JPG

toptrain1

Other Red Ball kits I have not done yet are Express reefer ( 2 of them), Wrecking Crane, and Pay Car. Lookin at the Wrecking Crane kit and seeing all the parts and the 2 instruction sheets is kind of scary. The 2 express reefers are almost complete, I just need decals and the Pay is just a lot of parts with no instructions or decals. The Funaro & Camerlengo Milk car I spoke of 4 posts back aren't touched just open and looked at. So just these things alone are quite a bit of work. This post and the last 6 previous posts were all placed here at one time so you got a lot of looking and reading to do to catch up.

Bill Nelson

Check ho seeker.com they have a bunch of old instructions folks have uploaded.

I was running an HOn3 box car on the Bugtussel Loop built ancient Binkly kit recently.

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Trains intimidate a lot of people, personally, I just can't hold all those facts in my head, so if I'm with a group of train people, I'm just a fly on the wall. I do enjoy them though, and appreciate layouts, within my ignorant bounds, just like when I see real trains go buy, and they have some strange attachments that I can't imagine what they're for. The weirdest one I saw had a at least 40' foot diameter wheel with saw/cutting teeth on it, and was digging a trech alongside the track, at an angle, traveling slowly, but it did not pick up the any gravel or soil, just just dug in the ground around 5 feet, the cutting wheel as angled and left everything in place. I guessed it was to keep water from heaving the track but it was huge and barely cleared some power lines. Never saw that apparatus again. When they laid the track from Danbury Ct. to Norwalk Ct., this train had incredible long pieces of track that would be passed forward, laid on the new pilings, and would automatically weld them and finish grind the sections. I still do not understand how they would make the incredibly long gentle curves in the track, must have been computer controlled with the side wheels bending the track as it extruded them through the apparatus. You had a hard time seeing where the track was welded, and after a couple of rains, the surface rust hid all of the joints. :)

toptrain1

IMG_4118.JPG I went to a Wayne NJ train show and acquired some more trains. You'll recognize most of them.
The four box cars in the left row are Penn Lines. Bellow them are 2 HObbyline cars. The whole middle row is more HObbyline cars. the right-side row is first 5 tank cars, Walters Athearn's, Gilbert, Mantua with no trucks, and another gilbert that's been redone a yellow and black Du Pont. bellow them is a HObbyline flat car and a Mantua operating hopper. o the two on the bottom are a New One 0-4-0 camelback and a Sakai NYC open hopper with a coal load. It was a good day and a little better that what is seen in that group of trains. There were also 4 cars still in original boxes. 3 Thomas tank cars, 1 Gould CNJ box car. There were other thing not worth talking about.

toptrain1

Well, the old stuff still attracts my attention. A couple of week back a group of 9 tank cars came up at auction on the bay. Here's what they looked like. 3 Varney's, 2 HObbyline, 2 Gilbert,1 Thomas, and 1 Tyco. I was looking for another Rohm Hass tank car and the Union Starch is also nice. All 9 were is very good condition. I won the auction.IMG_4041 - Copy.JPG

toptrain1

This photo is items which arrived on 4-13-22. These are another group of vintage tank cars I viewed on the Bay. As you can see these aren't as nice as the last group of 9 tank cars. First car is Mantua Hercules gun power. Recording number HPCX 575 next a silver with black dome Conoco CONX 593, next is a Athearn black tank car GATX 90034. This car has some history. It was made by Athearn for sale by Roundhouse. Next is a Varney, Silver Grace SHPX 26023, next is a Globe Hercules Power Co., HPCX 310, 2nd row Thomas APO APOX 8295, (next is not even close to being Vintage. Model Power plastic Fire Car X-07,) next is a Varney GATX 1004. This horrible, messed up tank car will be stripped of all use full parts and the body thrown away. Next is Red Ball, MCNX 110 Monsanto Acid car, last is Mantua Quaker State CVCX 10852.

Capture.JPG

Last edited:

toptrain1

Vintage trains from Bethlehem Train show 4-24-22IMG_4204 - Copy.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_4206 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_4206 - Copy.JPG
    422.2 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_4207 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_4207 - Copy.JPG
    524.7 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_4205 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_4205 - Copy.JPG
    352.2 KB · Views: 1

toptrain1

Does anyone remember the American Model Toy company. They sold this set of metal passenger cars. When running this set in a totaly dark room the interior car lights lit up the layout.
frank

"It's a heck of a day"American Model Toy Co set.JPG

micahrogers

Moderator "Where am I, and how did I get here?"
Staff member
American Model Toy Company, later known as AMT Model company, then bought by Ertl, and now owned by Round 2/Polar lights. Another great find.

toptrain1

Hey Mike! I've had that set for 20 years. I have never dated that set and know nothing about when it was made and released. I have a Kusan set that is very much like it. Also most all collectors know of another similar set the Mantua metal sets set.
feoda frank.
here is the Kusan setKusan metal set.JPG

toptrain1

Post 20- Here are three all wood express reefers. These three are the only ones I have ever seen Made of Wood with Round Roofs. If someone knows how made the kits and the conversion roofs please inform me so as To properly label these three.
frank

IMG_5461.JPG

toptrain1

I know which one you speak of and It is also something I don't have. I kept thinking that sooner or latter I'd get one. That hasn't happened yet. Gilbert made 2, 0-b-0 diesels a Blue one with a standard wheel sets and also a black one 31013 with side rods and a jack shaft counter weight. Keep looking and you may find one of them. Here is the Gilbert one. I am sorry I just don't have the mantua one to share with you!31013 Jackshaft diesel red is 21.JPG31021 black is 13 - Copy.JPG
This is the blue which I have a spare one. #31021. Ir has side rods.

Last edited:

toptrain1

In hobbyline I reciently put together a Imaginary train set using a Cataloged B&O H12-44 Hobbyline locomotive with my uncataloged HO B&O passenher cars.

Here is what I call HObbyline set 413 " The B&O Clocker". HObbyline did make 3 sets, PRR, LVRR and UPRR that used their H12-44 painted for each road name. They were Set #410 The PRR Commuter", Set #411 the LVRR Wall street, and set # 415 The UPRR Surburbinate.
First here are theses three original sets cataloged and made by HObbylne.
410 PRR commuter - S.jpg411 LVRR Wall Street -S.jpg415 UPRR Surburbinate 1954 S.jpg

Here is my imagnary "Set 413 The B&O Clocker". The loc is a 1956 release FM H12-44 B&O diesel seitcher. It came in a small freight set. The passenger cars are uncataloged items made by hobbyline for a hobbyshop who was to sell them in oct & nov of 1955. What you see is something that should have been but never was.

413 B&O Clocker M  Copy.JPG

This last set was never released by HObbyline. I do wish it was. Frank

Last edited:

toptrain1

Here is what I have put together On The uncataloged B&O.
Here I have some older all metal John English Day Coaches and combine I painted and lettered to match the Uncataloged B&O Passenger trains.

The first FA-1 is a Train Minature FA1. The Trailing FA-1 is a uncataloged HObbyline.

1787 0 (1).jpg

Last edited: