Oldies but Goodies. The Old Stuff.

toptrain1

A Baby Ruth Metal reefer I have had for 3 weeks now. It is in good condition for an early 1950 kit car by Mantua. I have other reefers from this time period by the builder. This is one of the best. IMG_0245.JPG
frank

micahrogers

Moderator "Where am I, and how did I get here?"
Staff member
I'm not a train guy, but I love the candy bar, and the stuff you train guys do with scenery is mind-blowing to me, I'm trying to get my scenery skills up for he miniatures I paint.

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Well, my Baby Ruth got a thumbs up from micahregers. I hope he comes back. Not a lot of folks to talkta here!

I know from my statistics board that a lot of people look at this thread. They don't post like, but they spend time here. Your threa d is being read. Keep posting on. These beauties are a part of Americana that may be seeing a resurgence as families are forced to stay indoors and spend time together because of COVID. Once kids get a taste of railroading, especially with all the technical advancements, haveing cars being able to go opposite directions on the same track, computer controls, cars that traversd on roads with almost magical performance, no slots, just driving along, making for some really interesting layout possibilities. This may help the hobby survive on and into the future. :)

toptrain1

Zathros I know what you're talking about. As a truly senior citizen retired for12 years now, my pension and social security doesn't let me afford the new DCC trains. I am glad my old trains are still running.

Bill Nelson

reporting in. do most of my photography with my phone, don't have clear guidance on maximum file size , so editing them to size is hit and miss. have figured out how to do photos from my camera, but my camera is in Tennessee at the lake, and I'm in Texas at the bungalow.

train works is at a stand still. the layout at the farm is going to have to come down. will have train space both in Texas and at the lake, but both spaces are considerably smaller then my space at the farm.

been doing some small train projects, but the retirement related moves have everything in upheaval. last year I had a massive car shortage. and I probably have a surplus now, at least of standard gauge cars.

my modeling efforts have mainly been on an R/C paddle wheel steamer I have been scratch building without plans for the last 15 years off and on, mainly off. It has been on the mantle at the lake. with the trains shut down, and me retired, I have time to work on it, and have been doing so at a steady clip, hoping to have it lake ready by the time I get there in the spring, or shortly later.

Bill Nelson

Looks like photos from my ancient I pad might work on Zealot. Look for a thread , or continuance of a thread in the RC section!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 2

micahrogers

Moderator "Where am I, and how did I get here?"
Staff member
reporting in. do most of my photography with my phone, don't have clear guidance on maximum file size , so editing them to size is hit and miss. have figured out how to do photos from my camera, but my camera is in Tennessee at the lake, and I'm in Texas at the bungalow.

One of the admins can quote the proper size file, but I just use Windows Paint to re size mine to 1000 pixels on the longest side, and that always works. I am still learning how to take pictures with my new Note 20, and have barely scratched the surface.

gbwdude

General Manager, W.R.Ry.
Here's my insanity, there's eight Varney Casey Jones's in the workbench picture in various states of disrepair. Mostly taking the good parts from which ever to make (hopefully) four runners, maybe five. Included with my insanity is figuring out how to can motor these the most effectively and convert them to DCC. Not all will get can motors, some will get their original motors really cleaned and then have the neodymium magnet treatment. I don't have enough valve gear parts to make all work, so one will have simplified valve gear (Stephenson valve gear) instead of Walshaerts. That loner will be a stand in model of Soo Line 2645 while the rest will be added to the Whiskey River Railway fleet.

Tyler
20201227_203054.jpg20191230_151455.jpg20210113_134755.jpg122792817_10158869582378064_2002587085349757884_o.jpg

toptrain1

Tyler, I wish you all the luck in the world. Hope you keep us informed of your progress. Looks interesting.

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Here's my insanity, there's eight Varney Casey Jones's in the workbench picture in various states of disrepair. Mostly taking the good parts from which ever to make (hopefully) four runners, maybe five. Included with my insanity is figuring out how to can motor these the most effectively and convert them to DCC. Not all will get can motors, some will get their original motors really cleaned and then have the neodymium magnet treatment. I don't have enough valve gear parts to make all work, so one will have simplified valve gear (Stephenson valve gear) instead of Walshaerts. That loner will be a stand in model of Soo Line 2645 while the rest will be added to the Whiskey River Railway fleet.

Tyler
View attachment 192879View attachment 192880View attachment 192881View attachment 192882

Nice set of Locos. These really look vintage, they're so strong with castings and all. That bottom one could probably tow a really long train. That motor is freakin' awesome!! Those Brass flywheels on each end of the stator stores so much power once it's up to speed. They don't make stuff like that anymore. The first VCR's used flywheels made out of Brass to regulate speed from the 60 Hz. buzz. As time went on, electronics caught up and they heavy Brass components disappeared. That's when VCR's dropped in price in a two year period from $1600 bucks to "Free with new Bank account". :)

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Fun fact, those big Brass bushings store rotational energy from their mass and when the engine gets bogged down, the energy is returned, and makes for a smoother running train, and the weight gives a lot of traction. :)

toptrain1

I found at the New York Society of Model Engineers train show 4-10-2021 at Carlstadt NJ two old Varney steam locomotives that were made during the 1940s and maybe into the 1950s. One is the 2-8-0 consolidation. the other the 2-8-4 Berkshire. Both had a newer type of tender as you will see. Both look like they will run., needing only some black touch-up painting.

frank2-8-4 3 - s.JPG2-8-0 1 S.JPG

Last edited:

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
The craftsmanship in these vintage trains speaks volumes. Great, no, EXCELLENT find!! :)

toptrain1

Well now to cover a HO train line I only have a few trains they produced. I have never seen a ready to run car by them., only kits. The first ones i got were to easiest to find at train shows because of their very different shape and done in either white or red always stuck out almost saying here I am. Their style is unique and the only other older company making them was A. C. Gilbert. First the company is Red Ball. The car I would call a bath Tub car because it look like the old bathtub that was in my home as a kid groin up. It defiantly was streamlined. The road-name on the HO cars was "Borden's Milk". A new name I recently heard is the "Butter Dish". To me both are good names that describe the shape of this car. My first red ball one was the white one and the last is a red one. A newer American company making this type car is Funaro & Camerlengo. I have two unbuilt kits of theirs #1008 the Borden's Milk tank car and 6911 the Twin Tank Milk car. I also have the gilbert version I mentioned already.
Here is the Red Ball car 2018 3-30-18 Edison 3 Red Ball.JPG2018 3-30-18 Edison 3 Red Ball.JPG