NASA Orion orbiter

micahrogers

Moderator "Where am I, and how did I get here?"
Staff member
Hi all,
This should be an easy build, the plans were posted by Zathros in the resources section, but I downloaded them from the link he provided.
Link=http://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/files/2014_Orion_Desk_Model.pdf

The model is pdf format, and prints out on 8 sheets, 6 of which are parts, 1 is instructions and the last is the official NASA splash page.
DSCN0574.JPGDSCN0575.JPGDSCN0576.JPGDSCN0577.JPGDSCN0578.JPGDSCN0579.JPGDSCN0580.JPGDSCN0581.JPG

my "New" printer is already messing up... the images have lines thru them that are not in the pdf files... Ohh well.

micahrogers

Staff member
Looks like my trusty Nikon Coolpix L27 is showing it's age, the lens has a smudge....

micahrogers

Staff member
Simple slot and tab construction, designed to be taped together. I am reinforcing the seams where needed, and adding glue instead of tape.
Construction starts with the Orion module itself, 3 part, Docking collar, Crew Module, and Crew Module fairing.
DSCN0582.JPGDSCN0583.JPGDSCN0584.JPGDSCN0585.JPGDSCN0586.JPG
I added 4 strips to try and help keep the circular shape of the fairing,

micahrogers

Staff member
working my Sunday away... this is such a simple kit....

the stand is supposed to represent the Orion in flight

DSCN0596.JPG

and the Service Module is taking shape...
DSCN0597.JPG
and just to show the overall size, I've sat the Crew Module, on the Service Module without all the greeblies
DSCN0598.JPG

I might have to add this one to my list of models to try again with more skill and added greeblies.

micahrogers

Staff member
More progress, I got the engine bell and umbilical shroud installed,
DSCN0599.JPGDSCN0600.JPGDSCN0601.JPG

and the first 2 of 4 reaction control units added, and set it on the stand to see how it looks.
DSCN0602.JPG
just 2 more reaction control modules to do and she'll be done.

micahrogers

Staff member
and finished, a very simple model, and it suffers from it's simplicity. a good learners model, as it teaches how to make cylinders and cones. It also teaches how to fold correctly, and laminate sections and still have them flat and true.
DSCN0603.JPGDSCN0604.JPGDSCN0605.JPG
DSCN0606.JPGDSCN0607.JPGDSCN0608.JPG
DSCN0609.JPG

simple enough for a beginner, and difficult enough to make me want to throw it in the garbage...
It has lots of room for improvement, and so do I.

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
I'm happy you made this model. It's a good kit to start on, printing extra sheets allows for some greebling, but you end up with a representation of a space capsule system that will be in use for decades to come. ;)