Slovakia
zax.sk
Spread Eagle
(PAPER AUTOMATA)

Author: Keisuke Saka

Source: etsy.com

Video:

Spread Eagle-dog-gif.gifSpread Eagle-cat-gif.gif

Another paper automata from Keisuke Saka. I didn't make any adjustments, just 2 variants can be built, either a dog or a cat, the difference is only in the head. So I don't have the head glued on, but it can be replaced...when gluing, everything fit and the finished machine works nice and smoothly.

DSCN4263.jpgDSCN4266.jpgDSCN4271.jpgDSCN4276.jpgDSCN4240.jpgDSCN4242.jpgDSCN4247.jpgDSCN4253.jpg

mikezax

Jan 3, 2010
Slovakia
zax.sk
Thanks ;)

SUPER ROBOT DOG
(OPTICAL ILLUSION)

Author: BY MAN STUDIO

Source: free model/internet

Video:

Super robot dog optical illusion GIF.gif

......this is not paper automata, but an optical illusion that gives the impression that the dog's head is spinning, so I'll put it here. ;)

I've had this little thing for a long time and I still didn't understand how it could deceive the eye... so I glued it on and still nothing, until the moment I took a picture of it, or made a video... it's unbelievable how it can deceive the eye - from a certain angle it looks like it's still looking at you :bulgeeye:

DSCN4324.jpgDSCN4326.jpgDSCN4328.jpgDSCN4370.jpg

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
I like the way the illusion of the head following you by being built "negative" (in reverse) works. :)

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
Yes, it depends on the angle you are looking at it. It helps to close one eye while walking around it and looking at it. I built the dragon version a few times ago:

:)

Last edited:

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Mike, if you ever wanted to design something more intricate, this online program allows you to make multiple gears in any arrangement you can think of. Once done, you can take a screen shot and reproduce the gears. It's free online. They charge to download the file, but you can capture the image with "PRT SCN" button, and import that image into XNView, or any other image opening program. I have a CAD program, and use parametric scaling to get the gears to the size I need. I could easily do that for you, I would just need the diameter of one gear, and the picture. :)

mikezax

Jan 3, 2010
Slovakia
zax.sk
Puss on Roomba
(PAPER AUTOMATA)

Video:

Puss on Roomba-gif.gif

Another pretty funny automaton by Keisuke Saka with a cat driving a robotic vacuum cleaner. :) This paper automata can also be purchased on etsy.com. (pdf: 4 pages with parts + 2 pages with instructions) I didn't make any adjustments, everything fit when gluing and, as always with this author, the finished paper automata works without problems.

DSCN5173.jpgDSCN5175.jpgDSCN5177.jpgDSCN5179.jpgDSCN5232.jpgDSCN5246.jpgDSCN5250.jpgDSCN5188.jpg

mikezax

Jan 3, 2010
Slovakia
zax.sk
Tyrannosaurus
(PAPER AUTOMATA)

Source: free model (Canon)

Video:

Tyrannosaurus-gif.gif

Another paper automata from Keisuke Saka that can be downloaded from the Canon website. This one is interesting in that the reverse movement is ensured by a rubber band. It is quite gratifying that the author continues to create automatic machines for the Canon site, so anyone who wants to try a free paper automata can try this one, for example.

DSCN5551.jpgDSCN5555.jpgDSCN5556.jpgDSCN5559.jpgDSCN5561.jpgDSCN5565.jpg

mikezax

Jan 3, 2010
Slovakia
zax.sk
Brachiosaurus
(PAPER AUTOMATA)

Video:

Brachiosaurus-gif.gif

Another paper automata from Keisuke Saka that can be downloaded from the Canon website. The author works nicely with the paper, there is no rubber band inside, the whole thing moves thanks to the appropriate cut of the neck and the weight of the head itself. I realized late that the white inside of the neck would be visible, so I painted it only after cutting it, which wasn't exactly the case... either you have to paint it uncut, or another option is that I tried to use printing from the back side for the next paper automata as well, and then it's not necessary to use so much paint...

DSCN5648.jpgDSCN5652.jpgDSCN5653.jpgDSCN5656.jpgDSCN5660.jpgDSCN5662.jpg

micahrogers

Moderator "Where am I, and how did I get here?"
Staff member
Jul 12, 2012
Shannon GA
I need to find the plans for this dino, and build it for my grandson.
Great work

mikezax

Jan 3, 2010
Slovakia
zax.sk
Thanks ;)

All paper automatas on Canon:

Dragon
(PAPER AUTOMATA)

Video:

Dragon automata gif.gif

Another automatic from Keisuke Saka that can be downloaded from the Canon website. Similar to the Tyrannosaurus, the back movement is provided by a rubber band. Built without modifications, except that I printed the back of the parts, so I didn't have to retouch the white areas as much that would be visible...

DSCN5691.jpgDSCN5693.jpgDSCN5695.jpgDSCN5697.jpgDSCN5698.jpgDSCN5701.jpg

mikezax

Jan 3, 2010
Slovakia
zax.sk
Expected Delivery
(PAPER AUTOMATA)

Video:

Expected Delivery gif.gif

Another paper automata by Keisuke Saka with a stork carrying babies. This paper automata can also be purchased on etsy.com. (pdf: 3 pages with parts + 2 pages with instructions) I didn't make any adjustments, everything fit when gluing and, as always with this author, the finished paper automata works without problems.

DSCN5770.jpgDSCN5773.jpgDSCN5776.jpgDSCN5778.jpgDSCN5781.jpgDSCN5784.jpg