my N scale layout, gone!!!!! fire

ozzy

everything i had gone !!! layout, box's of new stuff i never got to opens yet. all rolling stock, all engines gone!

fire started in a wall, bad wiring, the wall all the stuff was next to.

im done, i have had it. i all ready started over 2 times in N scale. moved and what not.

the good news is the fire was put out fast and the trains was the only thing in that room, so just lost the N-scale layout and just need to rebuild the wall, and a lowered ceiling. and needs new carpet. thank god i was home.

and the best news is that all my o- scale stuff was all boxed up at the other end of the house . all safe. so im not completely without trains.

bigsteel

Call me Mr.Tinkertrain
AWWWW MAN THATS HORRIBLE :eek: :confused: wall1 :curse:!!!! i cant believe everything is gone! will insurance cover them? i really hope you don't quit on us,everything can be redone,trust me.i had stuff stolen before and its just objects,it can be replaced,but at least you were home and your still safe :cry:.good luck oz.--josh

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
That's what I ws gonna say - - Will Insurance cover them??? Man - that stinks - - It is a great thing you were home!! :( :(

bigsteel

Call me Mr.Tinkertrain
It is a great thing you were home!! :( :(

yeah ozzy! could you imagine what this hell would be like if EVERYTHING had gone up!?!? like i said and mikey said,atleast you could stop it before it too the whole house.good luck.--josh

ozzy

not sure if the insurance will cover the trains, i have to look into it and try to remember what all i had and what it all cost, the ins will cover to fix the house tho.

im not going to start over, the N- scale again, but i will stay in the o-scale, . i have a walk in closet full of o-scale in box's. i buy stuff and just store it as i did not have room to run o scale.... but i have plans for a 3 car garage to be built in the spring, with a loft. loft is all for o scale....lol

ozzy

when the firemen got there they found me in that room with the garden hose....lol

and to think, i had just got home 20 min before. bad things could of happened if i was running late.

bigsteel

Call me Mr.Tinkertrain
not sure if the insurance will cover the trains, i have to look into it and try to remember what all i had and what it all cost, the ins will cover to fix the house tho.

im not going to start over, the N- scale again, but i will stay in the o-scale, . i have a walk in closet full of o-scale in box's. i buy stuff and just store it as i did not have room to run o scale.... but i have plans for a 3 car garage to be built in the spring, with a loft. loft is all for o scale....lol

you dont have to "remember" everything you had in there,just look in the walthers catalog for all the "replacement cost" of all the engines,rolling stock,and scenery and give it to the ins company if ya know wata mean :twisted:.
it does suck though your not starting N scale again,but im sure a garage full of O scale couldnt be all that bad :mrgreen:.oh well,good luck with insurance.i really hope you get all your money back.

P.S on another note,i wonder how many layouts are lost a year due to a house fire or faulty wiring on the layout itself.i have seen some rats nests in walls and under layouts.i also beleive the gorre and daphetid RR was lost to fire...--josh

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
It could of been worse. You could of lost everything.

When my house got hit by a car last summer(ref thread "Wreck Of Ol' Blue), my insurance company gave me $150.00 for the replacement costs of the locos and rolling stock (Which there was only Ol Blue. my NARA car, a Walthers A&B FA-1 set, plus a couple of old Model Power rolling stocK) that I had stored on the Christams Layout, which took the brunt of the hit. Better-Half got $300.00 for the damaged ceramic houses.They even paid me for the tear down and replacement of the table I made for the Christmas Layout.
So, I'd check. Might be better off than you thought.

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Oh geez Ozzy! I'm sorry to hear that. I am glad that no one was injured.
Think about the N scale decision. You don't have to make choice right now. Best wishes for a safe Holiday this Thanksgiving.
Ralph

Russ Bellinis

One concern that I would have apart from the trains is what about the rest of the wiring in the house? If the wiring is done correctly in the wall, you should never have an electrical fire. You might get a fire in a faulty appliance plugged into the wall, but not a fire in the wall.

ozzy

One concern that I would have apart from the trains is what about the rest of the wiring in the house? If the wiring is done correctly in the wall, you should never have an electrical fire. You might get a fire in a faulty appliance plugged into the wall, but not a fire in the wall.

this is a very old house, its all the old style wiring, heck, in the attic there is no coating on most the wires anymore, all bare. i got a guy coming to look it all over to see what it will take to up date it all and make it safer.

steamhead

Bad news.....Lucky you'd just gotten home so the loss was not anywhere what it could've been....Just roll up the sleeves and go to it again...In whatever scale you like. I'm sure O is also a BIG pile of fun..!!

Good luck..!!

CAS

ozzy,
sorry to hear what happen. Glad your ok, and anyone else that was home.

What a bummer thou.

CAS

myltlpny

Good thing you were home! Like others said, it could've been worse. Lost the entire house, or a loved one. At least you still have your O-gauge. Now you can focus on your loft layout.
Good luck. From bad comes better.:thumb:

Pooh Bah
ozzy: that's bad. Do you have a list? Do you have a list of the O scale stuff? (I don't have a list of mine.)
And what value do you put on a layout?
Th Gorre & Daphetid was destroyed by a fire that started in a furnace in the layout room.

ozzy

no list of the n-scale stuff, but you can bet there will be of my o scale stuff real soon....lol

rr9731's girl

Man, i'm sorry to hear about your loss. My husband and I have an Conrail N Scale layout in our room and an HO layout in cellar. I'd feel the same way you do, Again I'm sorry for your loss.