my N scale layout, gone!!!!! fire

RailRon

Oh, what a loss! This is really a strike of bad luck - but still you were lucky to be at home at the right time...

I wish you luck that the insurance pays in full for the damage. Some companies are champions for finding lame excuses when it comes to paying a damage...
BTW, I sort of keep an accountancy for everything I buy for my hobby - not only rolling stock, but also tools and other stuff - just for such a case. A friend of mine went all through that, too - and he was glad to have such a list for the insurance. That's when I started to copy his idea.

I'm glad for you that you still have the 'big stuff'! :thumb: Go on and happy railroading!

Ron

ozzy

the one thing i will miss about N scale is its easier to sneak an n scale car or engine in the house under the other 1/2's radar . much harder to do in o scale.....lmao

tetters

Rail Spiking Fool!
the one thing i will miss about N scale is its easier to sneak an n scale car or engine in the house under the other 1/2's radar . much harder to do in o scale.....lmao

With a decent sized knapsack you can sneak in HO stuff too! :mrgreen:

Good see you are keeping your sense of humour up. :p

steamhead

A question...Was the G&D re-built after the fire..?? I remember reading somewhere that a couple of our current ol' timers were asked by his widow to disassemble the layout after he passed away..

brakie

everything i had gone !!! layout, box's of new stuff i never got to opens yet. all rolling stock, all engines gone!

fire started in a wall, bad wiring, the wall all the stuff was next to.

im done, i have had it. i all ready started over 2 times in N scale. moved and what not.

the good news is the fire was put out fast and the trains was the only thing in that room, so just lost the N-scale layout and just need to rebuild the wall, and a lowered ceiling. and needs new carpet. thank god i was home.

and the best news is that all my o- scale stuff was all boxed up at the other end of the house . all safe. so im not completely without trains.

Ozzy,Sorry to hear that..:sad: Glad all wasn't lost and you and your family is safe.:thumb:

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
Oh, man, Ozzy. :(
Sorry to hear about the fire.
I'm glad you're OK and the damage wasn't more severe though.

Sounds like it's time to start planning another O gauge layout. :D

Pooh Bah
The G&D fire occurred a couple of weeks after John's death. The group held an operating session and it's thought that, while John knew his furnace was dangerous, the operators didn't.
Between the fire and the water, the layout was unsalvageable. A couple of modellers tried to recover one of the more famous sections and it just crumbled.