Mowe

goodduck

Nausicaa's Mowe. Started this project over a year ago, I think. Don't remember if I posted it anywhere before, but anyway, finished the inner frame from UX-1 last night, thought I'll take a break and pull Mowe out to work on the jet intake and exhaust. The handrail is only stand in for now, but so far so good. Still need legs and rifle, then I can move on to the inner frame, when I will get to it.... only GOD know.

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 19
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 19
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 36
  • 04.jpg
    04.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 17
  • 05.jpg
    05.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 19
  • 06.jpg
    06.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 23

goodduck

few more pic.

Attachments

• 07.jpg
    07.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 60
  • 08.jpg
    08.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 15
  • 09.jpg
    09.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 66
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 19

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
OK, I know absolutely nothing about this, but I can say that it looks really good and you are off to a great start.
If it were really, I would be willing to learn how to fly it.
I look forward to see how this turns out.
I will follow this thread closely.

Z

Zathros

Allen, our model is beautiful!! Did you make that figure (could you mail me that file? {I'm a beggar, Christ was a beggar!}), I would love to have that!! I was just about to send you a note as I had not heard from you. I look forward to another masterpiece from you! :)

I have been working on a Nausicaa Gunship ironically!?! (see pic below) I started it two days ago. I am no where near as far along as you are, I feel inspired though!!

Rhaven, Rent "Nausicaa, Valley of the Winds", it is a classic Anime, you'll love it, (while your at it, rent "Princess Mononoke", "Howl's Moving Castle' (a beautiful painting come to life essentially), "Spirited Away", and "My Neighbor Totoro", too, also, rent "Grave of the Fireflies", make sure you have a box of Kleenex with you)!!

Attachments

• NausG1.jpg
    NausG1.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 76

WuLongTi

Web Ninja
Rhaven, Rent "Nausicaa, Valley of the Winds", it is a classic Anime, you'll love it, (while your at it, rent "Princess Mononoke", "Howl's Moving Castle' (a beautiful painting come to life essentially), "Spirited Away", and "My Neighbor Totoro", too, also, rent "Grave of the Fireflies", make sure you have a box of Kleenex with you)!!

The family is also fond of Ponyo, Kiki's Delivery Service and Laputa: The Castle in the sky. I haven't seen Miyazaki's (Studio Ghibli) latest one, Arrietty, based on the Borrowers yet though. Looking forward to renting it from the Red Box :D

[YOUTUBE]oZv4ZdAfRB8[/YOUTUBE]

goodduck

Thank you, all. That is a 1/6 scale 12" mannequin I built to use for stand in for my 1/6 scale model designs. But for this model, Nausicaa is bit shorter then men size, so I scale it down to about 11" tall. Funny, I'm will do the Gunship too. Only got the templates set up in Rhino, have not start building yet. Looking forward to see your.

Arrietty is beautiful, how I love the background painting! And I love the original japanese theme song by Cecile Corbel too, not the Disney version.

N

niebla de fuego

I can't believe it! Nausicaa's glider at last will be a paper model :)

And considering your skills and the detail you put in your models, I'm sure it will be a beautiful thing!! It already looks good in the screenshots.

Will it have the small compartment to store tools and stuff that is shown in the manga?

Allen, I will definitely follow this thread. :)
Watching this model come to life will be nice.

I jockingly said in another thread (another forum) that I had a soul for sale in exchange for a model of this glider. Nausicaa was the first Ghibli film I ever saw, and is a film I love a lot

By the way, the name of the glider in the anime was "Mehve" (or sometinmes spelled "Meheve", which comes comes from the German "Möwe", and that means "Seagull".

to John: the work you are doing in the gunship is very nice. The textures are great.

Z

Zathros

.................................. Funny, I'm will do the Gunship too. Only got the templates set up in Rhino, have not start building yet. Looking forward to see your...............[/QUO

No, it's not funny, if your doing it, I'm not going near it now. No Gunship from me. I know when I have been bested! I would not put anything I do next to your work, even if mine was in a trash can!! You have templates for it! Are these ones you made? :p :)

wall1

ARMORMAN

FOUNDATION CORNERSTONE
1/6 scale fig: 1" = 6"

12" = 6'

11" = 5.5'

10" = 5' which seems to be the indicated scale of Nausicaa in the film.

goodduck

Printer in the studio still down, so that put my UX-1 on hold for a bit, and so I'm back to Mowe again. Finished the handrails and legs, just the rifle and that stick thing to do. I'm thinking replacing that stick thing with a long sword, just thinking out loud, don't know yet.

Attachments

• 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 13
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 17
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 12
  • 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 18
  • 16.jpg
    16.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 12

goodduck

And just to see the different in 1/6 and 1/12, I do like it in 1/6, but 1/12 is more manageable....hummm...

Attachments

• 17.jpg
    17.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 14
  • 18.jpg
    18.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 12

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
@Zathros, Thank you for the list of Anime films. I have seen a couple of them, and yes, they are very good. Another good one is "Steam Boy". It has quite a few vehicles that would make GREAT models.

@WuLongTi, Thank you for the video. I am quite familiar with the book "The Barrowers". There was also a Saturday morning cartoon called "The Littles" that was based on the same book. Here is the link to the intro: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HAn4fByVb8

@Allen, The design of this glider is coming along nicely. It is starting to look really good.

Like I said before, it there were a real, fully functional plane like this, I would be willing to strap myself on it and give it a go.

WuLongTi

Web Ninja
@WuLongTi, Thank you for the video. I am quite familiar with the book "The Barrowers". There was also a Saturday morning cartoon called "The Littles" that was based on the same book. Here is the link to the intro: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HAn4fByVb8

Yup, I'm old enough to have spent many a Saturday morning eating Frosted Sugar Bombs while watching the Littles. I even had a card model of Bink(?)'s Bi-plane and some camper boat of theirs that I had gotten from a Scholastic Books Catalog in Second Grade :D

N

niebla de fuego

I'm really sorry Allen, please disregard my previous message.
I had memories of Moewe having some sort of storing compartments for tools and food, but that's not true. My bad memory misguided me.

By checking the manga I found that what actually happens (pages 126-128 ) is that the Prince of Pejite opens some of the panels to check the engine and fix the distributor. There are not storing compartments as I said yesterday.

Sorry for the miss-information.

PS: for Miyazaki fans, here's the ling to a couple of pages showing Miyazaki's early drawings of flying machines. There's a glimpse of Moewe (I suppose it is, because of the gull besides it), and details of the Laputa flapster.
http://ghiblicon.blogspot.com/2011/04/from-comics-to-anime-miyazakis-flying.html

Z

Zathros

From this point on, I would appreciate responses only in relation to Goodduck's build.