MDC 2 Truck Shay

marc gast

NWSL Shay Re-gears

In response to the comment/question of upgrading the MDC shay with all of the NWSL brass gears, etc., DON"T SPEND THE MONEY!!!!! There are several way to improve the running of the MDC shay without all the expense. Other than the timing of the gears, the next issue is the electical contacts, way to stiff for the engine to operate smoothly. I have several tweeks that I have perfected over the years which works great (never read the MDC Shay improvement book). In fact, one of the tweeks I have used for years, is now incorporated into the Ready-to-Run MDC shays (darn, I should have copywritten my stuff, oh well).
Email me if you would like some of these tweeks. The only NWSL item I use is the small gear box (not the bull gear). With the, I believe its the 215 gear box, the shafts diameter are reduced to 1.5 mm (barely noticable) and a firebox can be added to cover the gear box. Hope this sparks some interest in tweeks for everyone. The MDC shay is not a bad investment, just needs some help.
Thanks,
Marc

Summit

About those "cap" spark arrestors that were talked about that you requested a picture of...here is a link to a page on my website that has a pretty good shot of this type of spark arrestor on top of McCloud River #14. The McCloud used the larger "balloon" type of stacks in earlier, wood burning days; all the oil burning locomotives (including those converted from wood) received this type of spark arrestor.

http://www.trainweb.org/mccloudrails/LocoImages/Loco-0014.html

To repeate what was said...just about all wood burners had the large diamond stack, and in at least some places the use of such stacks were actually required by law on wood burning locomotives. "Straight" stacks were generally not seen on anything other than oil burners.

Hope this helps, and enjoy your model. Looks good.

-Jeff

marc gast

Bear Traps on Shays

There were some experimental "Bear Traps" applied to shays, however, not succesful. There was not enough draw through the trap to be benificial. Most shays choked out with this design.

Of course, its your railroad, I think a "Bear Trap" would look cool on one!

marc gast

MDC Shay Tweaks

Okay all,

My shay tweaks are in are readable now. Please Email me for the information. I have never read the "Shay" book, however, this information to my knowledge is not mentioned in the book.

Thanks,

Marc

marc gast

Wipers

Shamus,

I've not seen photos of the wipers, no photos in the catalog.
How do they attach, what gauge of phospher bronze, etc. are they made of. Anything larger than 0.010 diameter wire is too much pressure on each wheel.
If you have photos, please attach or send to me.

Thanks,

Marc

shamus

Registered Member
Hi Marc,
They come 6 on a sheet, enough for 1 shay or a three trucker.
Shamus

Attachments

• echo01.jpg
    echo01.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 176

marc gast

Wipers

Sham<

These look pretty good. There are actually only enough for 1 MDC shay as each truck uses 2 wipers unless someone wanted to add pick-ups to the an MDC 3 truck shay. Looks like the pick-up wire is soldered to the top of the mounting area.
On my wipers, I solder 0.010 wire on the under side of the fold and bend the wire so it is between the two wheels, not pressing down on the top.

I may give these a try out.

Thanks,

Marc

shamus

Registered Member
Yes you are right, only enough for a 2 or 3 truck shay.
Toooooooo much liquid refreshment over Xmas.
Shamus

eldncn

Hello folks
Johnston's book recommends trimming the "wings" of the wipers by about half of thier width. This seems to lessen friction on the wheeel treads and makes the easier to adjust them for proper tension:thumb:

shamus

Registered Member
Hi Eldncn, and welcome to the gauge. The Echo Mountain wipers are far better than those that come with the MDC kit, I have used the originals many times, but always found them to be too tight, when "Echo Mountain " brought out their wipers, I was very pleased with the results. no drag and perfect pickup.
shamus

dcol777

Ah man...What happened?
I never had a problem with my RTR 2 truck in HO. Damn thing ran absolutely great out of the box.

dcol777

Ah man...What happened?
Speaking of which, I don't understand why everyone replaces the stock wipers and pads. Mine were pretty dirty when I got it and it still ran well. I guess I got a good one out of the bunch and should consider myself lucky.

Bill Nelson

#8 runs the best!

My #8 runs the best. it has a gear reduction motor, and a NWSL partial regear kit, as well as the NWSL Bull gear. When Dr Tom comes over to play trains, #8 is his preferred locomotive

here is a link to a video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=In4dUQ1yPsk

there is a glitch in the camera that gives it some perceived jerkyness, and the noise you here is from the camera. # 8 is silky smooth, very quiet, and very slow.

Bill Nelson

dcol777

Ah man...What happened?
Yeah Ray, I wouldn't doubt that, I've seen your (Amazing) work and that fabricated gearbox is just genius. :thumb: