Magnolia

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
I'd have some really heavy fishing line tied to somewhere strong. If a rogue wave hit that, you can pull it back up. I honestly might put that in water, but It would have to be up to my ankles. I'd be too nervous about something untoward happening to it. :)

Bill Nelson

I keep a canoe , a kayak , paddles, and and life vests at the dock. my last boat, which was unsteady due to insufficient ballast, and insufficient displacement to cary more, the wife was out in a kayak .

this one got it's first watertest in the tup at the lake, ( without the bowsprit , as with the bowsprit, it would not fit in the tub).

the next watertest is going to take place in my daughter's pool, where I can fine tune the ballast. I'll wait for a warm weekend so I can wade in, wirh it, and have grandkids to fetch and cary

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
I'd like to see pictures of this boat in the water. Big ones, not little ones, please? ;)

Bill Nelson

it has been a while since I had my desk top fired up. we are back in Texas, after a short trip to TN turned into a long one, with some possible covid exposure

back in Texas, I founf the magnolia will fit in the back of the 2017 expedition. it is going to have to be completely der rigged and de masted to make the trip to the lake in the spring, when there will be two dogs, a cat, a travel fridge as well as suitcases, projects and tools, but it can travel a couple blocks like this to my daughters pool for pool testing

IMG_1003.JPG IMG_1058.JPG
I have sewn sails, that was an ordeal, but my stitching is getting much better

IMG_1061.JPG

I built a tiller with almost the last of my mahogany

IMG_1060.JPG
i did some work to tighten the fit of the forward, and midships acress hastches. the forward hatch fit so tightly I had to pry it out with a knife blade before adding a tiny screw eye and a loop of chord as a pull handel

the mahogany railing, deck house trim, companionway doors , hatch and tiller look sharp I'm particularly fonf of the transom art

IMG_1059.JPG
we are having a bit of a cold snap, the sails are rigged to RC now, I'm waiting for the next warm spell, and I'll float this in my daughter's pool, finalize the ballasting levels, do a leak check, and it will be ready for Kentucky lake in the late spring or early summer.

OldMiner

You obviously need to build a trailer for her. :biggrin: I bet stepping the mast would be a chore for the little people sailing it. You DO have little people, right?

of course… THREE eyed ones to boot!

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
What a stout ship. Seeing in the back of the car really shows how big this ship is. Superb! :)

Bill Nelson

I have mainly been working on my RR since the last post, and for the last 14 days or so have been on an epic road trip from houston Texas to the west coast and back for my Niece's daughter's wedding north of LA..

we saw four of my wife's childhood homes, four national parks, skipping one other for a nearby natural area, that a local fiend said was as good, if nit better, but less crowded.

Back in Texas for a couple weeks before our Tennessee migration. Our daughter dog sat for us while we were gone. . This weekend is a three day weekend, so we will be caring for thier dogs, and collecting eggs from the chickens. we plan to spend some time in thier pool, and I hope to test the magnolia's ballast, without input from the grandchildren..

the ancient I'pad that I had been using to take zealot sized photos had the battery crap out after many long years. I'll have to experiment with resizing photos again. to update my many threads.

Bill Nelson

I have figured out the changes the last update made in my in my graphic converter program, and can convert phone photos to a format Zealot seems to tolerate, time consuming, but reliably doable so here is the most recent photo dump.

zel-044.jpg

The Magnolia on it's Texas cart, an Ikea nissifor. the cart is staying in texas, and most probably will become a tool cart for the train layout there ( see my thread in the narrow gauge subsection of the model railroad forum. the Magnolia is ready to go 3 blocks or so to my daughter's pool for testing.

zel-024.jpg

Poolside, awaiting removal of the deck house cover, the cargo hatch, and the forward access hatch, for better visibility to check for water intrusion. also being tested is the stability, and the waterline with this level of ballast, to evaluate weather more ballast would be advisable before the lake trials

zel-025.jpg.
No visible water intrusion. I like the stability as is, and she is high enough in the water so there is lots of leeway to add more ballast if needed with more wind. the pool is in a very skinny yard behind a two story house with a steep pitched roof. That, and a privacy fence blocked any breeze at all, so the sails were not available.

zel-036.jpg

the boat was floating around on the pools current, till the wife started swimming laps, and her wake ran her aground on the wading shelf

zel-054.jpg

After the pool test , she was de rigged, for transportIzel-108.jpg Loaded for the journey.

zel-127.jpg
the navigation screen in the car says she is at the lake

zel-137.jpg

I replaced the direct linkage with a string, trying to get a bit more rudder swing

zel-138.jpg

the same view with the rudder mechanism access hatch in place

zel-846.jpg
this is the radio I 'm using. it works across several bands to eliminate interference via some technology I don't remotely understand.

al that remains before a lake test is to build a tote launch and recovery cradle. and to re rig her, lake testing possibly in the next week or two. the keel was laid last July 2nd, so this has been a quickly developing build for something this big and detailed

Attachments

• zel -140.jpg
    zel -140.jpg
    318.7 KB · Views: 0