M4A4 Sherman VC Firefly, Halinski 1:25

mikew

You continue to do outstanding work on one of the most detailed models I have ever seen. That the kit included (and that you then assembled) the drive shaft that was then completely enclosed speaks to the research and dedication that went into both the design and your assembly.

snake7

Thank you!
Hope you all stand strong against world pandemia.
Building paper models helps ;)

Before I continue to fill the hall, i've assembled escape hatch cover.
Though it is a simple part, you must pay attention to couple of details:
It is advised to dry fit basis of cover into a hatch. Chances are it won't fit, because the hatch was cut before in several layers.
Second thing - do not glue inner cover to the basis, because after putting all the details on the basis you will not be able to place tha cover in the hatch - the hinges of the cover will interfere. I did this mistake and was in need to glue all the little details on site, in the hall :rolleyes:

q6Rn56.jpg

8DBfYv.jpg

dPoLRw.jpg

PuAHDH.jpg

The instructions suggest to assemble all the parts on floor and walls of a hall and only then on shelfs. I decided to go by this way and to check if it is the optimal one, but only after i assembled middle supportings.

k60OcT.jpg

UVoJxI.jpg

Vj7i7z.jpg

Then come two big ammunition rounds wet storage boxes. The design of this simple boxes is superb - lower and upper parts laminated on 1 mm cardboard and this gives easy way to glue the casing. I only added flap in the end for straighter closing.
Pay attention on side bag for literature ;)

mrmpQi.jpg

acyK4W.jpg

a9YbIi.jpg

bB6JWT.jpg

tuzgf8.jpg

And it's time to put all parts in place. The supportings are in place, the boxes are in place... and the hatch disappeared :eek: Only the edge is visible.
There are no compromises in this model :)

agMeEe.jpg

mGHfjA.jpg

yHTGq8.jpg

Last edited:

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
All I can do is look. I have run out of words. This thread will be a "must go to" thread for anyone building this model. :)

snake7

Thanks Zathros and Boris.

I didn't update for couple of weeks, but there was a progress.
Continue to fill right side of a hall, i build two manual fire extinguishers.
One will be placed right bottom and the other left top.

CPdkfm.jpg

aJpt1J.jpg

hxUn5U.jpg

Also i assembled quick drawing rack with ammo rounds.
On this side two types of rounds: Armor Piercing (AP) and Armor Piercing Cup (APC). Also there will be third type on left side.
Actually, you can see the markings on casing cups!

I must admit, that cylindrical and cone parts are not my strong side.
So i did as good as i could, but got a lot of experience on the way.
I'm good with the result, though it is not perfect.

3zIwP9.jpg

f3r3zV.jpg

JZ3qvl.jpg

Every round is assembled from five parts.

Bey58t.jpg

The box itself contains upper hive part, that i socked with super glue for stiffness.
Also, you must assemble it in correct order - don't glue bottom side to walls, before you insert all the rounds into cups.

Fw73M8.jpg

43bWLS.jpg

lsbHqA.jpg

And the parts are placed in their markings.

Z3gSus.jpg

EszXuP.jpg

Q2293Y.jpg

Last edited:

Boris

Snake, this ammo looks great. I don't know what you're complaining about. The shell itself is about 2.5mm in diameter, right? You could have made them from wooden skewers and paint them, but it's 100% paper. Good job

snake7

Snake, this ammo looks great. I don't know what you're complaining about. The shell itself is about 2.5mm in diameter, right? You could have made them from wooden skewers and paint them, but it's 100% paper. Good job

Yep, about that size.
And i corrected my post a little, with right terminology. Thank you

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Those fire extinguishers, and everything else you posted looks amazing!! :)

josve

Just great work!! Respect!! The complexity of the halinski kits are in many ways overwhelming...so hats off to you Igor :)

snake7

Thanks again, friends :)

Switched to left side. Decided to fill the wall first and then the floor.

Fire extinguishers as part of engine compartment fire system. Though those are again cylindrical/dome shapes that i don't favor,
I like little parts like this. You understand what it is and when you hold it in 1:25 scale in your palm - it's exciting!

cSGhqx.jpg

dqfHcM.jpg

Xsrs3g.jpg

Pair of regulators - one for power unit generator and one for auxiliary generating unit.
Sorry, but forgot to picture them assembled (you will see them later placed in fighter compartment)

tHD4uT.jpg

gxDjNl.jpg

Some pauch, that i didn't find it's function and starter/generator buttons box

NvAXCX.jpg

yjJOSq.jpg

I9yUtV.jpg

And last but not least - spare periscope box and choke lever

21lNap.jpg

Z6V9jc.jpg

fUuYfF.jpg

Glued all the parts to their markings. You can see now two black regulators in their places.
Fire extinguishers connected with tubes to fire system, that goes into engine compartment.
Choke connected via road.

TkClXi.jpg

mzs0xh.jpg

znwHfD.jpg

Last edited:

snake7

Thanks again :)

I continue to replenish the fighting compartment.
Assembled quick drawing rack for APCBC rounds.
APCBC - Armor-Piercing Capped Ballistic Cap.
The cap gave more velocity and piercing power to the shell and crumpled on impact.
You can see its markings on casing.
An interesting rack with pipes for each round.
My advice - to glue bottom with pipes to box itself in last step.
Strange, unexpected error - the diameter of casing cap is a bit larger than the diameter of pipe, it must be inserted to, so i was in need to correct it.

rNVEdQ.jpg

cLCJbt.jpg

7HtNHh.jpg

qHhDHv.jpg

f2X3qW.jpg

And the rack placed inside

W3RGRi.jpg

Last edited:

snake7

Boris, micahrogers - thanks.

Next are accumulators box and quick draw shelf for MG ammunition.
Assembled easy, but require precision, so that ammunition boxes will slide freely into place.

fac2t2.jpg

xv3IXU.jpg

Hn9i3A.jpg

dndpeK.jpg

Ix3Sx2.jpg

PdC5wi.jpg

When you place accumulators box, don't forget to connect cable from starter switches box.
Also, very important - do not place pauch (detail 45) on the side wall before accumulators box and shelf are placed. It interferes badly. I was i need to detach it and glue again after.
When i placed everything inside, i realised how crowded it is.

u4gvmQ.jpg

Awh2L9.jpg

ZrNrw7.jpg

P.S. Changed style of the forum and realized that my thread is in sticky section! Such a honor! :cool: