Lex's dark arts on designing anime figures

Master-Bruce

Outstanding stuff Lex!

One thing though, wavy hair. If you were modelling wavy hair, would you model it to look wavy? Or would you just model the strands flat(making a note or something to shape them into waves later?)

Those models you pictured look fantastic too. I visited the site and it seems that those figures aren't available? Is that right?

Lex

Dollmaker
It's entirely up to you really, it only depends on whether you want to make a good rendering out of your model, and whether it's worth doing it. I've seen some models that have hair as a texture and says "cut this out around the edge", which is equally acceptable.

--And yes those are not available even if you pay... Some people just like to keep things to themselves ^^

Gearz

Maaaann.. I have GOT to catch up on lotz of missed reading ~ This is Absolutely Brilliant stuff Lex. ~ My Nirvana 'Holy Grail' of developments has an anime figure with it, and I had no idea how to even start. Its way over my little potato head skill set just yet, so this tut is going to make all the difference ~ PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE continue on with as many variations as possible!

Can I put in a request to give the development of 'postures' plenty of focus later on..? ( just if you weren't planning to )

GRAVY....!!:yep:

Lex

Dollmaker
Thanks Gearz, as for posturing I don't think there's much to say, if it's Lightwave of Blender, it could be done with bones. But Meta doesn't have that so I usually do this in a one-off process... I will come to that later :D

Gearz

META doesn't have bones for postures!! ~ that figures ~ lol.. Oh well, I knew it was going to get tricky somewhere or other.

I'm looking forward to the next instalment.

popcorneater.gif

Master-Bruce

Oh. :( Sorry buddy. Hope you didn't lose anything important. This reminds me, I really should make a back up of everything I've done lately.

Lex

Dollmaker
...Which reminds me that I should be updating this thread......!sign1

So finally now it's the body...... Haven't got round to writing much lately, but here goes. Following the previous method on the face, we mark lines on this picture as well:

ModelTutN1.jpg

The red line is the central profile of the torso, approximately matches the side view profile in the picture, save that the curve doesn't go as far at the chest and at the back for obvious reasons. The green line goes right through the largest part of the chest and back, but at other places goes inside the central profile. The location of other lines are self-explanatory.:eek:ops:
The neck can either be made to blend with the body, or as a separate part. The choice depends on the complexity and scale of the model, I tend to go for a separate part... (since it's easy and Lex is lazy:p)

Using above diagram as a guide, and build up the "scaffold" curves in Meta. The exact way of doing this can be found in the posts before. After creating the surfaces you might get something resembling this:
ModelTut2004.png

It really isn't a lot of work, and now we have a very low-poly model for the torso. It isn't hard to go from here to a model with higher polygon count, by adding more nodes in the model, but if you like you can stop here as well:rolleyes: There goes the body!