Landmaster; Damnation Alley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vortex_4200

I will look forward to building this once it is done, awesome work!!
Look forward to more of your updates on this project.

trt

Been doing 'other' stuff, but no got a bit of progress. I've done lots of tweaking on the body to get the fit as right as possible.

Now working on wheel mechanism. Reusing paper, so don't worry about the inside. At this scale it's become very fiddley, but it's coming together.

Attachments

• P1010631.jpg
    P1010631.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 40
  • P1010632.jpg
    P1010632.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 34

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
I really like how this is turning out. You are doing a GREAT job on it This model is really doing it justice.
I remember watching the movie when I was a kid. I always liked the landmaster.

Patron_zero

Wow ! Simply wow, awesome start to much anticipated finished model !

Hope the attached photos help with the wheel assemblies.

Attachments

• Terrastar.jpg
    Terrastar.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 202
  • Terrastar-of-Lockheed-Image-14a.jpg
    Terrastar-of-Lockheed-Image-14a.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 202

Vortex_4200

I really like how this is turning out. You are doing a GREAT job on it This model is really doing it justice.
I remember watching the movie when I was a kid. I always liked the landmaster.
I'm the same way, I always thought that it would be cool to drive that thing!! :mrgreen:

Z

Zathros

Wow ! Simply wow, awesome start to much anticipated finished model !

Hope the attached photos help with the wheel assemblies.

I wonder how the Terrastar steers? That looks like the solution to a question no one asked!! I want one though.

The 8 wheel vehicles you see scrub steer, which can really dig up an area, they also are all wheel drive, and the wheels act as flotation, they float really good. I had a friend who had a 6 wheeler that floated really good, with two adults, and a lot of gear. It could go anywhere.

From what I understood, the wheel mechanism was trying to address the problem of the tires overheating at high speeds off terrain in high heat environments. The little one makes me wonder because it could not have been that fast. Was it to study the mechanism? There were quite a few proposals involving this wheel concept, and some other somewhat dubious ones. Makes me wonder if the golf course tire industry did not have some overstock or great plans for their tires! :)

TerraStar2.jpg

m101swamphowitzer.jpg

proto.jpg

trt

I always thought the design was a way to get over rough terrain. Large rocks etc. that normal wheels wouldn't get over.

As in this sack barrow/truck for going up stairs.

Obviously I'm not suggesting one was based on the other (either way), but there is definitely some similarity going on here

Attachments

• 41%20GI360Y[1].jpg
    41%20GI360Y[1].jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 150
Z

Zathros

I always thought the design was a way to get over rough terrain. Large rocks etc. that normal wheels wouldn't get over.

As in this sack barrow/truck for going up stairs.

Obviously I'm not suggesting one was based on the other (either way), but there is definitely some similarity going on here

Yes, you are right, that was Lockheed's proposal. The wheels could lock, as also demonstrated in the self propelled Howitzer.

In the Landmaster, that was not the case. The wheels revolved when a thermal sensor determined that they had reached their maximum safe operating temperature, and /or a pressure gauge determined one had lost air.

Different proposal for different issues using similar arrangements.

Definite similarity, which makes me think that the weight did not justify the complexity or the means. The Landmaster is cool though, fast too. I think that if the composites available now were available then, and the same with modern wheels, the end result would be the same. This arrangement wold not be suitable for military uses, the vehicle is so tall, it's a great target, but for non commercial use, with an aquatic hull, who knows.

I think that this photo, representing the U.S. Army's plans for similar vehicles shows where the technology is at. it also shares the drive train of the Caiman Armored Vehicles (which would make really cool paper models also, especially with their angular construction). Just my opinions too, that's all, just my opinions, not better than that of anyone else. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Family_of_Medium_Tactical_Vehicles

Caiman_mine-resistant%2C_ambush-protected_vehicles_in_Iraq.jpg

fmtv_family_chart_800.jpg

DanBKing

Dan the Man
Not a friendly ghost!!

How about the South African CASPER amoured vehicle ......

casper-armored-vehicle-blocks-the-road-terry-moore.jpg

That is one mean MF.... :mrgreen:

blueyeppoon

Loved this movie, I think its one of the all time greats just te same I can't wait to build one of these fantastic beasts. Hat's off to those smarte than I to work out all that mechancal stuff.
Good work!

trt

A more simple wheel arrangement would be lovely at this point.
However we need to continue.

1st attempt at joining the out riggers. I wrapped a piece of cornflake packet and then joined to laminated section. It works, but not happy with all the lines. Next attempt will be wrapping the whole thing.

Attachments

• P1010638.jpg
    P1010638.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 26
Z

Zathros

Happy you're back!! Great progress, your latest assembly look right on the money! :)

trt

Interesting reading, but I am an anorak, but also happy :p

What I am happy about is version 2. Stuck laminated section straight to the cornflake packet and wrapped the whole lot. No visible joins. A bit fiddley on the cutting side, but easier to build.

Attachments

• P1010642.jpg
    P1010642.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 25
Status
Not open for further replies.