Imperial Star Destroyer - Imperator Class

tiluchi

Greetings to all of you people...
Continuing with the purpose of building my models in order of appearance, here is my next ship.

As the "Tantive IV" makes an attempt to escape with the stolen plans of the Death Star, an Imperial Star Destroyer Imperator Class Ship is in full pursuit led by non other than Lord Darth Vader.

The model will have 57cm (22.5 inches) long and 37 cm (14.5 inches) wide when finished. The pieces are distributed in 28 pages. This will be (once completed) the largest model in my collection so far.
Given that has large flat surfaces the model will have to be reinforced mostly by cardboard. I will use pressed cardboard, 1mm and 1.5mm for the different parts that will make up the body of the ship and some details.

The ship's body is the basis of all the assembly for the rest of the parts and it will be composed of 4 large triangular cardboard pieces, on which will be attached the different parts that make it up. I don't know why the pepakura model divided the pieces into such irregular sections, but with a little care all fit together perfectly.

After that, stick on the bottom of each of the 4 pieces the details of the overhang on the edges and on the sides of the same edges so we do not see the cardboard. And also like the edge of each piece has a certain thickness, this one is increased with 1mm thick cardboard strips.

After finishing with the lower detail of each piece, we continued with the glued in pairs to thus obtain the upper and lower panels of the ship. A strip of paper on the junction of the two pieces would leave a "hinge" which would allow graduate the inclination of each panel to get the correct form of the ship. This angle would be dictated by the form obtained by the tail piece. This piece is reinforced with cardstock, to give more rigidity than just paper and once assembled will be ready to form the base of the ship.

As we begin the assembly of the base, I started with the lower panels of the ship, to these were added the side pieces that will give the separation of the upper parts from the lower ones, then I added the tail piece and then allowed to to dry thoroughly before proceeding. With the tail piece installed and the ship beginning to take shape, I placed some internal reinforcements to make sure that the angles of the lower panels don't suffer any variation by handling in the future. Once this is done you can proceed to place the "lid"; I mean the upper panels of the ship's body, to close it and obtain a solid basis for the assembly of other parts.

And ready .... you get a solid base, handleable, on which you will work the details. The ship is taking shape and is quite resistant to handling. Next I will work on the details of the ship and finally the upper superstructure and weaponry.

Until here for now... see you guys on the next progress post....:thumb:

Saludos.
Tiluchi

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
What you have so far, look GREAT!
I like the idea of reinforcing the skin with thicker cardboard for stability.
I will be following this thread.
KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK!!!

micahrogers

Moderator "Where am I, and how did I get here?"
Staff member
Looks beautiful man I want one of these... 22.5 inches is a nice sized Star Destroyer.

gideon1962

I love it! especially the use of heavier cardboard for strength. I notice you use thinner material on the back, will this support the engine details adequately?

tiluchi

Thanks everybody... and yes it's big.. the biggest in my collection so far....:thumb:.

I love it! especially the use of heavier cardboard for strength. I notice you use thinner material on the back, will this support the engine details adequately?

The engines are really light, just plain paper... so it does hold up pretty good. The only important thing there is that the piece keep the shape right.

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Really good looking model. Great size too. :)

micahrogers

Moderator "Where am I, and how did I get here?"
Staff member
Okay I just reread the whole thread and no where can I see who's Star Destroyer this is?

tiluchi

Hello there paper people....
With the base, on wich everything else goes on the ship, is finished I will continue with the upper structure sections, the bridge sections and the engines.

Here is the upper structure construction... The first "box" will be used as a base for the other boxes that forms the upper structure. Here I reinforce the interior of this one with cardstock (or thin carboard from a chocolate box). Then I added the module to the ship and continued with the rest.

Most of the parts that are added to form the upper structure of the ship requires a lot of work because these require editing to enable properly fit and join together. There no need to say it's a matter of patience and observation to make them well ... but its not complicated. And on top of this section we will place the modules that house the ship's bridge. This pair of pieces are a little crafty since aside from the edition that you need to practice on them one must strengthen with internal reinforcements so they will get firmly rooted and fixed.

After all that work, the partial result is an almost finished ship with its distinctive and recognizable shape. Still, lack the details but looks good.

Then I continued with the ship's rear end. The engine section. The Imperial Destroyer has 3 main engines and four smaller auxiliar engines . I start with the 3 main ones, the assembly of the pieces is not complicated or laborious, but because the assembled parts are not made to fit directly in place, they also will have to be changed a bit at its base. Then for the secondary engines, more editing of pieces to do. Here I added an extra detail that the model doesn't bring. The secondary engines are housed on a basis which I had to make from scratch. And then cut the secundary engines so they fit in these new modules. The end result left me more than satisfied.

After assembling everything this is the fianl result for the rear section

Thanks for stoping by and for your nice comments. The final details are coming next. The more annoying kind...the little ones.

Un saludo a todos.

Rhaven Blaack

Staff member
Administrator
This is coming along BEAUTIFULLY!!!
You are doing a FANTASTIC JOB on this project!!!

tiluchi

No, actually I got this model from a friend who sent me the patterns via e-mail. He got it from a russian web page. I dont know wich one. There is pdf file that contain some kind of instructions, even though the model comes on a .pdo format, where it says that the model was made by Sergey-Haker.

Rogerio Silva

Risky business...

No, actually I got this model from a friend who sent me the patterns via e-mail. He got it from a russian web page. I dont know wich one. There is pdf file that contain some kind of instructions, even though the model comes on a .pdo format, where it says that the model was made by Sergey-Haker.

Sergey-Haker? I think the site is probably http://www.swmodel.ru/ :twisted:

tiluchi

Greetings once again zealotians...
Here im again to bring you the conclution of this amaizing model.

The biggest prblem that I faced here was to defeat my own lazyness of workinf the small and tiny pieces.... but at the end, and piece by piece, I was able to finish it.
I dont know... maybe, just like R5D4, I got a bad motivator as well..hehehe.

These are the pieces that I hate the most... the cannons from the primary turbolasers. They're a total of 8, 4 on each side. And each turbolaser battery is made of 15 little pieces. There's no need to say that these ones also requires some editing as well, because not everyone fits perfectly in position. So, some reference photos are always a good thing .

A little side note, the tiny cannons for these turbolasers are not included in the patterns, because they are so small, so save some leftovers from the other pieces that you edit to make these.
Sorry for not having photos of the whole process for the turbolasers modules, but they are more annoying than hard to build.
Once all of them are done, I place them in their respective positions on both sides of the ship. Each module comes kind of "set-in" on the ship so one have to do this very carefully to not damage the paper.

Then I set up the generators of the ship's deflector shields. They are also two units with small pieces ... having a particular detail that I could satisfactorily resolve, which are those small vertical rods around each of the pieces. These are the same metalic little rods that I use to reinforce the little cannons. I made these from straighting up the staples that comes in the staplers (duh)
Be very careful when deciding to make the holes and pass through the rods.
The final result is very good... see it for yourself.

It's the turn of the communications tower. This is comprised of a series of simple boxes that do not need hardly any changes and are relatively simple and easy to assemble and mount. Then, a few cuts to the bases of the deflector shield generators so they are well on the inclined surface and ready.

dsc04542.JPG

Once this is finished and completed the model, I made a base using one of another less detailed and smaller model. But I rather liked the base. I reinforzed with cardboard and other items to make it very rigid and sturdy.

Well that completes the construction of this model. And finally ... The photos of the finished model.

And finally ... I added a little extra detail .... it will be almost imperceptible to the common observer.

Well .... that was it. The largest model in my collection so far. Hope you like it. The next project will be a fairly short and fast one.

Greetings to all and thanks for following this post.

Tiluchi.

Rhaven Blaack

Staff member
Administrator
KUDOS TO YOU ON A FINE JOB WELL DONE!!!
I like the added touch of the Millennium falcon.