Imcold X-Wing - discussion/building thread (http://xwingpm.wz.cz/)

starbuck

Slowly but surely.....
Engines ready and the first two (of 8) parts of the wing inlays.
Wow - really small parts to be handled with. Now that I have done the first 2 parts I will see how many I will have to make to get good results.
First two are only a test. (Decision after having finalized;-))
---
Use also I1 and I9 as bottom parts - although they are not mentioned in the instruction - makes life more easy.
(Yes you are right - I made also parts without using above mentioned parts - did not want to show how they looked like.)

Attachments

• IMG_6050.JPG
    IMG_6050.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_6057.JPG
    IMG_6057.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 14

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
You must chose, cut outside or inside the line, or right on it(what I recommend) and let no seam pass that has a gap. Those last two pieces are almost there (do them over), but as the parts get smaller, you get chop sticks, wooden skewer rods, toothpicks, etc. to help form the parts you need. The parts should stack up without glue. Then, with glue, there will be no gap! :)

Gandolf50

Researcher of obscure between war vehicles...
Staff member
[QUOTE=" Then, with glue, there will be no gap! :)[/QUOTE] I like this so much it is now part of my signature!

You are getting there @starbuck ! Improving as you go!!

Dagger

Greetings. I'm slowly learning to move in the forum, so it's time to comment. I'm following your thread and you're doing a great job in this great model. Small cones and cylinders are delicate, difficult to manipulate, shape and close. After many failures I came to the conclusion that the best result I get with thin paper, although it is more fragile and does not give margin for error when closing, it is very easy to shape it if we use an entire arsenal of cylindrical elements of all types of material and measures.I use all kinds of things, needles, toothpicks, brushes, wires, etc. And other things, very good light, glasses and patience.I watch your great construction.

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Thin paper can be strengthened with glue or more layers inside, once finished! :) Good idea Dagger!! :)

Dagger

That's right, as you say zathros, once we finish we put something to give it rigidity, I use tissue paper (the one we use in the kitchen or napkins) with PVA, it stays solid and we avoid dents.

Gandolf50

Researcher of obscure between war vehicles...
Staff member
On those " small" parts like the cones... I find it better to use a heavy needle, and start to roll the part into shape, and with a burnishing tool, you can bend the smallest part into its cone shape. Then a bond paper tab on the inside to pull the edges together. NO GAPS!

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Needles used for sewing Leather aren't expensive and can be found at Jo-Anne Fabrics shops.They are big thick strong needles. :)

starbuck

I use some stuff to bring parts into correct shape. Sometimes it workes sometimes not so good.
Thanks for the additional tips - I will follow them.

But for the moment I have to pause paper building as we get a new kitchen.
As will will do lot of the work ourselfes I have to stop for the moment.

But it will be continued.......

starbuck

Back again! Kitchen is nearly ready - but it was a desaster. But finally everyhting works properly and my wife is happy with the new kitchen.
-------------
I gave my best to get the small parts together. I followed the tips (shape it before gluing and make some tabs) and the result is ok for me.
Next will be the wings.

Attachments

• IMG_6143.JPG
    IMG_6143.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_6147.JPG
    IMG_6147.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_6148.JPG
    IMG_6148.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 7

starbuck

As I am not able to cook, I will enjoy what my wife is cooking. ;)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Next is the start of the wings..... here the start of the first one. I decided to enforce the wings with the given parts which I glued on a thicker cardstock. The result is a stable wing as wished.

Attachments

• IMG_6161.JPG
    IMG_6161.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_6162.JPG
    IMG_6162.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 6