Hellboy figure

bigpetr

Designer/Master Modeler
Jan 27, 2016
Czech Republic
Hello friends,

I decided to design hellboy paper figure in comics style (Mike Mignolas, Hellboy creator style). Mignolas drawing style has lots of hard edges so natural for paper figures, so I wnted to try to convert it to paper model for some time, because I think I could use paper figure boxy look here with advantage. Also Hellboy was born on paper so lets create him from paper. Only natural choice of material:)

Here is current modeling progress.

hellboy paper 3.jpg

I am still not decided on his final pose, but probably something like this, because I like swords :).

HellboyTP12_StormAndFury.jpg

When I finish figure itself I think it will not be to dificult to pose him in few different poses. It is not mesh model, it is surface model, so it will have curved shapes and parts to depict artists drawing style as close as possible. So far it is fun to figure out where to put curved surface and where o put hard edge. And texturing will be fun and easy - flat colors:)

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
That is really cool, seeing you design this with scratch. Very interesting!! :)

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
WOWOWOW! That'll be a tough one! The first pic looks great! :)

bigpetr

Designer/Master Modeler
Jan 27, 2016
Czech Republic
Little more progress, mainly blocking with basic shapes, witch will be refined in next stage. I am starting to be happy with owerall proportions. Still fighting with shoulder area. That is why it is protruding the coat. Problem is, he has little different proportions when drawn naked, mainly wider and bigger shoulder area. So when I put his coat on, it does not look right.

hellboy paper 4.jpg

Reactions: Revell-Fan

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
Maybe you have identified the probem and delivered the solution at the same time - just make the shoulder area a bit bulkier. Just a bit so that it looks "right". ;)

(I would test it on a copy of the 3D model first, just in case ;) .)

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Getting there. As Revell-Fan said, just scale out the chest and shoulders some. :)

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Shoulder have to come up and out, and the wastee more prfound. Otherwise, ou're dialing it in. Figures are hard to make! :)

bigpetr

Designer/Master Modeler
Jan 27, 2016
Czech Republic
Maybe I do not understand correctly what you mean, But I do not think that shoulders should come up and out on him. I am trying to depict him in Mignola drawing style, like in image in first post. On other Mignolas images he has even narrower shoulder area.

9781506703435.jpg

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
O.K., I understand. I was going by the classic movies shown here. You have a different reference. It looks good, according to your reference. ;)

Reactions: micahrogers