Hawke

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Wow!! .Great, please disregard the P.M.'s, I didn't see this thread. Great design. I think figurines are the hardest to design. This came out really good. I will be approving your gallery pics in around 5 minutes. :)

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
HOLY MOLY, this is impressive!!! Great work on the figure. How did you design it?

i-amarobot

thanks, i got a 3d model that was extracted from the game and then simplified it in blender and then made the template, it took me a couple of months of working on it and then rage quitting though

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
We definitely could use a good tutorial written up for Blender. Such a thread would be archived and made available as a download for future reference!

i-amarobot

yeah blender isnt very user friendly, my method is just merge vertices and then sort out the uv mapping later

spaceagent-9

Right Hand Man and Confidant
man, that just blows door off everything !! I would love to design an ultra-man model like that!! great job!!

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
How did you get that far!! If I could get that far I might try it again, for now it's Rhino 5.0 for me. ;)

i-amarobot

i just keep merging all of the vertices to simplify it so it ends up in a pattern that will be good for a template and then keep exporting it into pepakura designer to make sure that the template is all ok. it take a long time and it is pretty repetitive but it gets the job done
i have started fixing the texture now
2015-11-18 (2).png

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
What other formats does Blender export to?

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Wow, you are doing great! My first (and only) weapon of choice is SketchUp. It is simple (and sometimes nerve-wracking when it comes to rounded shapes) but it does its job. :)

i-amarobot

it exports to .dae .bvh .ply .stl .3dx .fbx .obj .x3d
thank you, i tried to use that when i first started but didnt really get the hang of it (i might have been a bit overambitious though and tried to make a 3d model of a drd without knowing anything about 3d models)

DanBKing

Dan the Man
I am no where near as experienced in graphic design as the rest of you on this thread, but in my VERY limited experience with SketchUp, I like SU8 better than the new version......... Much simpler to use, IMO .........:)

Respect to you guys that can do this sort of work......:bowdown:

I love building your designs too....... ;)

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SU8 and SU6 are essential for papercrafting: SU8 works smoother and has better plugins, SU6 is needed to export the model into *.kmz(4) format for Pepakura unfolding. ;)

Ron Caudillo

Creative Advisory Consultant
Staff member
This is amazing work, ESPECIALLY considering it is a first attempt!

The build is superb also. Congratulations!

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
The hand of an artist!! If you posted that big enough, I'd use it as a background for my Desktop!! It's kind of awesome, those heads on a nice looking hand, incredible juxtaposition! :)

I can work with .Obj and .stl files directly, if you ever wanted to share ideas. I can export to those formats as well. :)

Get away from using tabs and make the lines on the face glue edge to edge, use a glued up strip of paper on the backside, and the face will not only smooth out incredibly, but if you use a glue like "ZIP DRY", you will be able to go go in there with a round object and smooth on the heads and give them a more organic feel. You can glue glass to leather with this stuff, and it's non toxic and lignin free (will not yellow). I get if from Micheal's Craft Stores. Not sure where you are from, but their all over the U.S.. My 2 cents worth. ;)

cgzip.jpg

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
In regards to "How did You get that far, if you could show how to make simple shapes, that would be an incredible start. I don't understand how you get the depth and UV Mapping. I am not oblivious, as I have designed some stuff, it is just from a more industrial background as I used to make helicopter and aerospace project parts. This thing even has innards!! :)

r3-jpg.132632

body-jpg.119892