Hawke

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Wow!! .Great, please disregard the P.M.'s, I didn't see this thread. Great design. I think figurines are the hardest to design. This came out really good. I will be approving your gallery pics in around 5 minutes. :)

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
HOLY MOLY, this is impressive!!! Great work on the figure. How did you design it?

i-amarobot

Dec 27, 2014
England
thanks, i got a 3d model that was extracted from the game and then simplified it in blender and then made the template, it took me a couple of months of working on it and then rage quitting though

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
We definitely could use a good tutorial written up for Blender. Such a thread would be archived and made available as a download for future reference!

spaceagent-9

Right Hand Man and Confidant
Jul 10, 2013
pheonix
man, that just blows door off everything !! I would love to design an ultra-man model like that!! great job!!

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
How did you get that far!! If I could get that far I might try it again, for now it's Rhino 5.0 for me. ;)

i-amarobot

Dec 27, 2014
England
i just keep merging all of the vertices to simplify it so it ends up in a pattern that will be good for a template and then keep exporting it into pepakura designer to make sure that the template is all ok. it take a long time and it is pretty repetitive but it gets the job done
i have started fixing the texture now
2015-11-18 (2).png

Reactions: Revell-Fan

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
What other formats does Blender export to?

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
Wow, you are doing great! My first (and only) weapon of choice is SketchUp. It is simple (and sometimes nerve-wracking when it comes to rounded shapes) but it does its job. :)

Reactions: DanBKing

i-amarobot

Dec 27, 2014
England
it exports to .dae .bvh .ply .stl .3dx .fbx .obj .x3d
thank you, i tried to use that when i first started but didnt really get the hang of it (i might have been a bit overambitious though and tried to make a 3d model of a drd without knowing anything about 3d models)

DanBKing

Dan the Man
Feb 29, 2012
Netherlands
I am no where near as experienced in graphic design as the rest of you on this thread, but in my VERY limited experience with SketchUp, I like SU8 better than the new version......... Much simpler to use, IMO .........:)

Respect to you guys that can do this sort of work......:bowdown:

I love building your designs too....... ;)

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
SU8 and SU6 are essential for papercrafting: SU8 works smoother and has better plugins, SU6 is needed to export the model into *.kmz(4) format for Pepakura unfolding. ;)

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
The hand of an artist!! If you posted that big enough, I'd use it as a background for my Desktop!! It's kind of awesome, those heads on a nice looking hand, incredible juxtaposition! :)

I can work with .Obj and .stl files directly, if you ever wanted to share ideas. I can export to those formats as well. :)

Get away from using tabs and make the lines on the face glue edge to edge, use a glued up strip of paper on the backside, and the face will not only smooth out incredibly, but if you use a glue like "ZIP DRY", you will be able to go go in there with a round object and smooth on the heads and give them a more organic feel. You can glue glass to leather with this stuff, and it's non toxic and lignin free (will not yellow). I get if from Micheal's Craft Stores. Not sure where you are from, but their all over the U.S.. My 2 cents worth. ;)

cgzip.jpg

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
In regards to "How did You get that far, if you could show how to make simple shapes, that would be an incredible start. I don't understand how you get the depth and UV Mapping. I am not oblivious, as I have designed some stuff, it is just from a more industrial background as I used to make helicopter and aerospace project parts. This thing even has innards!! :)

r3-jpg.132632

body-jpg.119892