HAPPY 40TH ANNIVERSARY, STAR WARS! :-)

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Today, 40 years ago, was a special day. I turned three weeks and a half, one of my colleagues turned 20 and in a country (galaxy), far, far, away, beyond the great (Dune) Sea, something spectacular happened...

THE STAR WARS hit the theatres and changed our world forever. Let's celebrate this special day, grab your DVD and BD sets (and VHS tapes if they have still survived hundreds of hundreds of viewings :D ;) ), and watch ROGUE ONE and then A NEW HOPE in a row. I won't stop you from binge-watching Eps V & VI afterwards, but well, it is Ep IV's great day.

:Drinks::Drinks::Drinks::Drinks::Drinks::Drinks::Drinks::Drinks::Drinks::Drinks::Drinks::Drinks:

Have fun and enjoy! And share some of your thoughts and feelings regarding this special day here in this thread, you Rebel scum! :D ;)

Last edited:

micahrogers

Moderator "Where am I, and how did I get here?"
Staff member
I was 12, in line to see some stupid movie with my brother... I was a tag along. the line was long and there was this other movie no one had heard anything about on the other screen with no line... Went In and saw Star Wars on opening night in San Antonio Tx... 1977

bigpetr

Designer/Master Modeler
Lucky man.:)
I saw Star Wars first on borrowed VHS player (VHS player alone was something special to have). It was ilegal 20th generation copy (wery blury) with horrible amateurish one voice czech voiceover.
It was during comunist era in Czech republic and it was the only way you can see American movies - on blury videotapes. After revolution in 1989 Star Wars IV came to our theatres with big glory. I desperately wanted to see it. I do not remember why, but It newer happend. So first SW movie I saw in a theatre was Episode I.

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
I was 9 when Star Wars was released. I saw it in theater and was in absolute awe!
Not only has it become a very iconic movie, but it has become the standard for which other SCI-FI movies have been measured.

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
My passion for STAR WARS actually began with "Return of the Jedi". I was born on May 1st, 1977, so I was too young to attend the premiere. However, I will never forget the day when my mom came back from the shops and brought the Sand People and Jawa Kenner action figure with her for me. That was about Xmas of 1982 and got me hooked. I was thrilled, excited and was looking forward to seeing the movie at the theatres when it was supposed to be shown again together with TESB and ROTJ. Too bad our theatre did not show them in the correct order (they showed ROTJ, then TESB and then ANH for whatever reason). Unfortunately I got ill and was unable to attend the screenings. BSG, which premiered on TV in Europe shortly afterwards, filled a big void for me instead, and then, finally, almost ten years later, I was able to see the movie for the very first time on the small screen. I really hope that there will be a SW marathon at my cinema one day (I suggested it to the owners) so that I will have the chance to watch it on the BIG screen.

RO will never be able to compete with it (but I enjoyed it very much which is why I put it in the introductory post
wink.png
). ANH is a timeless classic which will never be surpassed by anything else. It changed our lives and the way movies were made forever. Honestly, I cannot think of ANY scene which does not bring back fond memories of the past to me and there are certain parts which STILL make me cry for joy whenever I see them, most notably the scene in which Luke steps outside to look at the sunsets on Tatooine. The gorgeous soundtrack added much to this scene. The miniature work is unforgettable, its success gave birth to other franchises (including BSG and Buck Rogers), and the rumours are true: Han ALWAYS shot first!
smile.png

Cybergrinder

Member Extraordinaire
Wow, who would have thought it was that old! I wasn't even 2! I do have vague recollections of watching Empire in the movies! And complaining to my Dad there were not enough space ships & that I wanted a lightsaber! (That hasn't changed, still want one :fight:)

@Revell-Fan ; Agree, Han did shoot first, always loved the soundtrack and I think what caused me to love orchestral classical music.

micahrogers

Moderator "Where am I, and how did I get here?"
Staff member
Thanks for those links Marcell... I have the Master Replicas Electronic Luke RotJ saber and the Mace Windu AotC saber but these paper models look cool.

lyter1958

Esteemed Member
oh boy, reading the post makes me feel old...... was 19 when it came out..and yes, i saw it about 15 times. just HAD to keep going back and watch...sigh.. the good ole days !!!!!:)

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Indeed. Many people say, things were better in the past. That might be a fallacy based on nostalgia. Good thoughts prevail and bad experiences are ignored. If it was true, we all would love living in the Middle Ages, with no sanitation systems, no heating and no international paper modeling forum on the Medieval Internet. I'd rather say, things were SIMPLER in the past. Sometimes things were easier, too (but not necessarily - again, no international paper modeling forum in the late 70s ;) ). However, due to the simplicity in the old days you had to be inventive and clever. IMO Star Wars arrived right in time. The ingenuity of the people involved in the making of it turned it into the timeless classic we all cherish and love. I'm sure that the movie would have been a lot less impactful if it had been made a few years lateror earlier. Most of us were lucky enough to witness this legend to come true and to become part of the most exciting times ever. :)

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
I was wo years olld. I went to see it and had my motorcycle parked. I was really worried someone might steal it, but the crowd was a good one. Coming out of that theater, my bike became an X-Wing, and I drove it like one. I went to my favorite roads, that at 70 mph would put you 43 feet into the air, and since they were downhill, it would take a while before you touched down. Thank God I didn't have my Pilot's License yet, I would have probably gone nuts. That was such a special move, in a time that was void of any Science Fiction/Fantasy. It truly was a milestone in history and will always be remembered. :)

Indeed. Many people say, things were better in the past. That might be a fallacy based on nostalgia. Good thoughts prevail and bad experiences are ignored. If it was true, we all would love living in the Middle Ages, with no sanitation systems, no heating and no international paper modeling forum on the Medieval Internet. I'd rather say, things were SIMPLER in the past. Sometimes things were easier, too (but not necessarily - again, no international paper modeling forum in the late 70s ;) ). However, due to the simplicity in the old days you had to be inventive and clever. IMO Star Wars arrived right in time. The ingenuity of the people involved in the making of it turned it into the timeless classic we all cherish and love. I'm sure that the movie would have been a lot less impact if it had been made a few years later or earlier. Most of us were lucky enough to witness this legend to come true and to become part of the most exciting times ever. :)

No Toilet paper, being a serf would have really been a drag, or being a "chamber made". However, having a serf or chamber made would have made all the difference!!! :mooner:

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Lucky man.:)
I saw Star Wars first on borrowed VHS player (VHS player alone was something special to have). It was ilegal 20th generation copy (wery blury) with horrible amateurish one voice czech voiceover.
It was during comunist era in Czech republic and it was the only way you can see American movies - on blury videotapes. After revolution in 1989 Star Wars IV came to our theatres with big glory. I desperately wanted to see it. I do not remember why, but It newer happend. So first SW movie I saw in a theatre was Episode I.

@bigpetr, I think that makes you so much more such a special person in this here. We Americcuns take many things for granted, (like always having an asshole for president), and having to elect one (I didn't vote for him) as the choice in always this asshole or that asshole. You lived through some hard times. May they never ever return!!! By the way, America was(is) a very divided society, and racism is alive and well, but not with the majority, and the majority stomps it out when it raises it's ugly head. Since everyone here can own a rifle, and hand gun, no one really ever gets too cocky, except for the nuts, and every country has those. What you never see in the news is the average guy who shot someone committing a crime. The news does not find that interesting, but I have seen criminals stopped when someone pulled out their .45, .38, gun, and told them, "Hands Up, or I'll shoot". The police are then called, and a citizen's arrest is made, which is just as valid as a Police arrest. :) IMHO