Half a Tank

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
OK I just don't have room on the Georgetown Sub to put a full size water tank near the loco servicing area so I am going with a half one which goes against the backdrop. I hope when you look at it that the eye will trick you into believing that it is all there. Much like the Georgetown staion I built which is only partial too.
The tank in question is a 50,000 gallon tank and saw use on the Texas & New Orleans portion of the Southern Pacific. It was not a standard A.R.E.A. design but had a character of it'sown in that the bottom was of greater diameter than the top. I have based mine on the drawings in the April 1963 Model Railroader.
Here is my progress so far. This model is HO The bottom is a scale 25 feet in diameter and the top is 22.4 feet in diameter.
More to come.

Attachments

• ht1.jpg
    ht1.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 388
  • ht2.jpg
    ht2.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 391
  • ht3.jpg
    ht3.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 436
  • ht4.jpg
    ht4.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 395

Matthyro

Half a roof

Here is how I made half a roof.
Shingles come next.

Attachments

• ht5.jpg
    ht5.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 386
  • ht6.jpg
    ht6.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 379
  • ht7.jpg
    ht7.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 367

Clerk

WOW Robin. That looks like the tank that was at a little station in northern California where
we lived for a while. It served the occasional steam helpers that came out of Alturas Ca. and
was also our home water supply

Matthyro

Half of the support framming

Thanks for the kind comments folks.
The support framing is mainly 12 by 12 inch rough cut lumber. My new bandsaw came in handy for this.

Attachments

• ht8.jpg
    ht8.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 360
  • ht9.jpg
    ht9.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 358
  • ht10.jpg
    ht10.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 359
  • ht11.jpg
    ht11.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 377

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Did you think of putting a "Piece" of mirror behind the "base" of the tank. This would be flat against the backdrop & reflect the base, "providing by reflection" the rest of the base. :) :)

Awesome stuff!! As Always!!! :) :)

Matthyro

A little bit of progress today. It took me a while to figure out how I could make the tapered water spout.

Attachments

• ht12.jpg
    ht12.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 421
  • ht13.jpg
    ht13.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 352
  • ht14.jpg
    ht14.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 354

spitfire

My goodness Robin, it is absolutely amazing what you do with paper!!!! I'm so glad you're posting these progress shots too - I get so much inspiration from "watching you work".
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Val

Matthyro

Got the shingles on the same way as I show in the current Gauge Mag then gave it all a coat of paint.

Attachments

• ht15.jpg
    ht15.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 192

Will_annand

wow, impressive Robin...

How do you do that. I am going to need a personal tutorial on that.
When do the Cerealboard art class begin?

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
To make the water spout I rolled up paper around an artists brush to get the taper

That's brilliant! I just cut the end of the handle off - now I am "short" one paint brush...!

Always something else to learn... :rolleyes:

Andrew