Golden Valley module

ulf999

Aug 14, 2007
Sweden
:eek:ops: Thanks guys!
Even thought it does look nice, I think it takes a bit more patience than I have. The next module/segment will be equiped with ME flextrack. Otherwise it'll take me a year to complete :mrgreen:!

stdguage

Jan 4, 2008
Colorado
Great work! Hey, yhat's one advantage of modular - you can use differant standards and techniques on each. not every module needs hand laid using hand drawn rail from your own minimill.

ulf999

Aug 14, 2007
Sweden
Thanks [:)]
A few more pics. I have now glued the other rail and ran some tests. It works!!!
I have used PS D&RGW building brown to simulate rust (this is a spur, the mainline will be painted roof brown...)
When more thing are in place (a few years from now... ) I will further weather the track with washes and powder)

handlaidtrack_test5.jpg

handlaidtrack_test4.jpg

handlaidtrack_test3.jpg

handlaidtrack_test2.jpg

handlaidtrack_test1.jpg

ulf999

Aug 14, 2007
Sweden
At last, I got some (hobby) time. I've given the turnout a whack.

I gave up using tieplates on this one. The reason is that I'm using the tongues as studs for the pickup shoe (when running in 3R mode). The tieplates (metal) would short circuit the whole thing since they connect between the stockrails and the tongues

So I just keep-it-simple (well...:eek:))

The throwbar is soldered and all but the (outer) railguards are in place. DC and AC cars seem to like the frog
to_1.jpg

If you zoom the centre of this pics, you'll notice that there is a cut in the tongues to isolate them. They will individually be powered using a relay (driven by one of the tortoise's relayes) More on this later on...
to_2.jpg

The throwbar is a copperclad PC-tie from fasttrack. It has been isolated to avoid shortcircuits when running in 2R-mode.
to_3.jpg

to_4.jpg

Work will soon continue with the remaining rail (seen loose in some of the pics...) :)

nkp174

Oct 10, 2006
Cincinnati, O.
Even without the tie plates, still in the 99th percentile for beauty!

I believe you were looking for the english term "frog" for the heart shaped part.

ulf999

Aug 14, 2007
Sweden
More progress.
I've been pre-drilling the spikeholes in the ties and aligning some rail . As you can see, I'm dropping a wire for each rail...
handlaid_ME_drilling_m-1.jpg

since I will have 3 tracks that have to match when I connect the segments, I opted for a simple jig (styrene...). The track spacing is 6cm
handlaid_ME_jig_m.jpg

The spikes are driven down at an angle (easier to 'post adjust' things this way...). Also make sure the spikes don't 'line up'. They'll split the tie...
handlaid_spikes_m.jpg

When the inner track was done, I had to wire things up and let my good ol' UP Alco PA do a test run
One of the tongues is wired (and locked in position...) to act as a 'big stud' (later it will be polarized using the Tortoise...)
I had to resolder the throwbar and 'inner tongue', widening the gap so that the wheels wouldn't short circuit the whole thing. And I'll be darned! It works!!!

Here one can spot the slider and the wheels. The (Herbert-Herei) studs only reach the top of the rails, so I figure that 2R (DC...) engines/cars will have no problems [:)]
wheel_n_slider_m.jpg

ulf999

Aug 14, 2007
Sweden
All the track in place, alas the inner radius is a mere 40cm. I'll have to do better calculations on the following sections.

Work has now continued with the road and the Bar mills crossing:

crossing1_m.jpg

I had to improvise so that the crossing is level with the track
crossing2_m.jpg

The road is a sheet of Evergreen styrene (0.020) that I applied with latex caulk.
Tomorrow (?) I'll add the 'center piece'. It has a thin copper wire providing the slider with something to pick up :)...

Jan 12, 2006
Southern CA
Good looking trackwork & modules, Ulf. I'm glad to read of your experience with handlaying the track with the tieplates and deciding to switch to the MicroEngineering track - I've looked into the P:87 Stores products as I think tie plates (and retaining clips) are an important detail that is usually missing from handlaid track; the thing that bothers me about the etched plates is the lack of spike detail anchoring the rail to the plates. I'm planning on using a combination of MicroEngineering track and Central Valley tie strips, with molded spike detail that gets 'folded' over the rail 2000 index htm And I'll be ordering the etched tie plates as a detail item - they are very nice.

ulf999

Aug 14, 2007
Sweden
Thanks!
A combo of ME and CV is what I'l looking at 'further down the path'.
Right now I have some stocked up items that I'll habe to use first... :)

ulf999

Aug 14, 2007
Sweden
Some more work put into the project (with its ups and downs)...

From a distance the road looks quite ok...
overview0806.jpg

...but as one can see, I did a 'selective de-compression' of the distance between the yellow road markings.:curse:.That's what might happen when the enthusiasm takes precedence over 'Think!'. I guess I'll have to re-paint :cry:wall1
road_crossing.jpg

For the spur, I've added some 'Hayes wheelstops' (Tomar Industries). I'm quite happy with the looks of them :)
Hayes_wheelstops2.jpg

hayes_wheelstops.jpg

What I'm struggling with now is the transition from my gravel area (painted plaster) to the 'slope' where I've put some WS blended earth turf. Not quite happy with the result, so I'm thinking about what to do next here...
edge1.jpg

edge2.jpg