Designer/Master Modeler
Firs I cut oar holes to the planks:
IMG_6069s.jpg

then attach it to the hull:
IMG_6085s.jpg
IMG_6083s.jpg

I did some tests how to paint the triangles:
IMG_6095s.jpg
This is one posibility (score lines with blade so the paint will stop at it). Other idea is to cut individual triangles, paint them and glue them together. But maybe it will look too "precise". I need to test it.

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
The planking is beautiful! I could understand not detailing with the fasteners, but if you made a Brass punch and did, you'd have one of the best Viking ships out there. Tons of work though. The Vikings used a washer with a hole in it, then punched though in with a square nail, bending the sharp point back in onto the inside to hold the planks together. This formed a very moveable, but sealed hull, which snaked over the water, and did not break apart in seas that would have demolished other style boats, and that allowed them to carry a full load ankle deep. This type of clinker built boat was easy to seal with a rope/tar combination rope called Oakum. You put the Oakum strip between the leaking seam with a flat piece of metal, like a paint scraper, but the edge is flat, so as not to cut, and when it gets wet, it swells, sealing the seam. Fun facts nobody is interested in. :)

Clinker Nail.jpg

Oakum

Oakum.jpg

bigpetr

Designer/Master Modeler
Fun but very interesting facts :). I colect facts like this on everything. I am curiouse person :)

I will do rivets from paper (0,5mm diameter for this scale). There will be around 2300 rivets. I am not decided if I should paint them by metalic colour or leave them same colour as rest hull. It seem from photos that tar covered the rivet heads so they had virtualy same colour as rest of the hull.

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
That's true, but they would have stuck out a little, and because they moved, would have been noticed. I think painting them on would be a totally acceptable solution, as Brass paint is kind of thick, and diluted with somet other color could give the look of weathered Brass covered with tar. I'm sure you'll figure it out, you always do. ;)

micahrogers

Moderator "Where am I, and how did I get here?"
Staff member
The planking is beautiful! I could understand not detailing with the fasteners, but if you made a Brass punch and did, you'd have one of the best Viking ships out there. Tons of work though. The Vikings used a washer with a hole in it, then punched though in with a square nail, bending the sharp point back in onto the inside to hold the planks together. This formed a very moveable, but sealed hull, which snaked over the water, and did not break apart in seas that would have demolished other style boats, and that allowed them to carry a full load ankle deep. This type of clinker built boat was easy to seal with a rope/tar combination rope called Oakum. You put the Oakum strip between the leaking seam with a flat piece of metal, like a paint scraper, but the edge is flat, so as not to cut, and when it gets wet, it swells, sealing the seam. Fun facts nobody is interested in. :)

View attachment 188884

Oakum

View attachment 188885
Ahh the smell of burning oakum when you pour the molten lead on it... Reminds me of the olden days of plumbing.

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Ahh the smell of burning oakum when you pour the molten lead on it... Reminds me of the olden days of plumbing.

It's the best stuff made for fitting different diameter cast iron pipes. I had to move a toilet over 4 inches, without Oakum and lead, it would have been impossibble. ;)

bigpetr

Designer/Master Modeler
After a few tests painting triangles by hand I decided to print whole strip of colored triangles and glue it to the plank. One strip prepared for triangles, other is finished. I will weather it and add litle imperfections here and there to break the uniformity:

IMG_6224ss.jpg