Full-size Stormtrooper Armor

Millenniumfalsehood

Hey guys,

I'm still working on other projects of course, but I have another, non-paper-related project that I've been working on this summer as well: weight loss.

I'm trying to slim way the frak down, and so far I've lost about ~25 lbs or so. Thing is, I have a long way to go and I need motivation. Being healthy is great of course, but that's intangible. I need something I can actually see . . .

I suddenly had a brain storm a few days ago, though. I've always wanted to fit into a set of Imperial Stormtrooper Armor, and I have the paper model files to create it. So why not combine the two desires of weight loss and being a member of the Galactic Empire's armed forces? ;)

With that in mind, I decided to make a deal with myself. For every five pounds of weight I lose, I will create one piece of the armor. That way, by the time I get down to a slim enough physique to be able to actually fit into the armor, I'll have my own complete set to cosplay with! It's the perfect plan! :mrgreen:

I've already lost enough weight to make five pieces, so I'm starting with the arms:

DSCN5559.jpg

Unfortunately, the armor set I have on file is a bit too large:

DSCN5560.jpg

I went back into Pepakura and reduced the size by the appropriate amount (I love how Tamiya's cutting mats have metric rulers around the edges. It makes doing this sort of thing quite easy).

I plan on rebuilding those two pieces tonight, then finishing three more over the course of the next few days. I weigh every Saturday morning, so if I've lost another five in the next few days expect to see another piece added to the set.

And naturally I plan on Bondo-ing and fiberglass-ing the heck out of this suit of armor so it looks awesome when it's done. I'm going do that each time I complete a section of armor: the arms, the legs, the chest/back, the cod/butt, and the helmet. When that's done I plan on painting it with very durable paint. After I finish the armor I'll need to get in contact with some costumers and find out just what to use for the undersuit and the boots and gloves.

I also had a nifty idea for fastening the pieces together, at least the arms and legs. The edges of each armor section have a "shelf" around them that's a good 3/8" wide. I'm going to bury several super magnets in the armor (polarized to make sure I don't stick the wrong parts together), and put a velcro strap on the outside piece. That way, I can simply strap the armor segment in place tightly, then let the magnets hold it together. I'm pretty familiar with these kinds of magnets and they're very strong (a really tiny one was able to do this; yes, that's a giant Gunstar model), so I think this idea will work.

So anyway, stick with me on this one, guys. I am not only going to get a nifty set of Imperial Stormtrooper armor, but I'll be getting healthy in the process! Two worthy goals if I've ever heard of one! :cool:

Rogerio Silva

Milleniumfalsehood

What a great idea, goal and motivation! I wish you to be able to fit in the suit ASAP, and already feel happy that you've done a lot so far.
GO FOR IT!!!

dnalor

That is indeed a great idea..
I hope you get fast to your ideal weight.....that way we will see fast the costume :)

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
That is a FANTASTIC IDEA!!!
I have to agree with you in the respect that if you have something tangible to work for, then the effort is worth more.
I wish you all the luck in the world. I hope that you are very successful in this venture (of both fronts).
I will be following this thread and CHEERING you on!!!

GOOD LUCK!!!

Millenniumfalsehood

Thanks a bunch, you guys! :D I really appreciate well-wishes. Hopefully I can add about one piece a week or so. Naturally this means the thread will go pretty slow, but hopefully it will not get too lost. ;)

I've rebuilt those two forearm pieces, and in order to maintain symmetry I'll be doing the remaining forearm piece and then one of the upper arm pieces next.

vulcan8630

Millenniuam, I suggest you check out the Replica Prop Forum's costume replica area. It will greatly help you when you start to resin your stormtrooper armor and may save you some time with their helpful insight and reommendations.....There's even a website where a costumer used artcraft foam to make his stormtrooper armor.

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Weight loss is a hard thing. The Spinal Cord injuries have destroyed my rate of metabolism. The bet way to loose weight is to burn it off, lots of walking, hiking, biking, swimming, but remember, muscle weights more than fat so maybe you are trying to trim your looks, not lose weight. These are two different things. Swimming really burns off a lot of calories, and works your whole body. :)

THE DC

Highly Esteemed Member
Great idea...

If this works, you may have the next best seller...

a Paper diet!
sign1

Keep up the great costume & can't wait to see it.

Millenniumfalsehood

I weighed yesterday, and guess what: 4 pounds lost this week! :mrgreen:

However, that's one pound short of being able to add a new piece of armor to the construction queue.

That's okay though, because I'm still working to build the other pieces I already earned. I had almost no time to work on the armor in the last couple of days, or else I lacked the energy to do anything, so I'm still at two forearm pieces. But I'll probably pick it back up today.

dnalor

4 pounds?..
damn.

which diet do you do?
i tried the southbeach diet and some sports and it went great until a point that it didn't go lower...so i hum...stopped.

Millenniumfalsehood

Well, I actually stopped the diet I was on, but when I did diet this summer I used the Military Diet. Nothing too bad. You just had to follow the listed meal plan to the letter for three days, then after that you eat whatever you want. I lost a lot on that, but began to plateau in the last few weeks. I stopped after the ninth week on that diet and just went back to heavy exercise. I typically walk about 5-6 miles a day now, usually while watching a DVD on the treadmill (it's WAY too hot to walk outside).

Doing that nets me several pounds of weight loss usually. :)

dnalor

Hey Millenniumfalsehood..
Where is that costume?...
you should be ready around now.......yes!? :)

Millenniumfalsehood

Eh, no. :eek:ops:

When school started it threw my schedule all out of whack and so I wasn't able to exercise much the last couple of weeks. I've plateaued at the moment.

But as long as I don't gain it back, I think I'll be fine for the time being. I'm borrowing my parents' scale so I can keep track of this, and it's keeping me on target so far. :thumb: