Forney Bash To Saddle Tank

mick

hi like your work with the tender. Has given me ideas with two unpowered bogies I have lying around. What type of springs did u use for the drive?

Quarryman

Hi Mick.:thumb:

The Bogie came out of a Roco Swiss electric type Loco.

The spring was part of that drive set up. The short can motor is

out of an old C.D. Rom drive, old DVD players have the same motors

in them, they are very good for Loco drives.

Cheers, Joe.:wave:

mick

thanks for the feed back.I didn't think of using old cd rom drives for motors. do they have much torque?

Quarryman

Hi Mick,

Yes, plenty, otherwise I would'nt use 'em.
Just be careful, some you can't reverse, they burn up.
Just run in both directions for a while before you install it.
If it does'nt get hot you're O.K.

Joe.

Doctor G

Australian modelers are good!!

Hey Joe and Mick,

Have you guys seen the latest creation from your fellow country man Geoff Knott. Its called Charging Moose Mining Company and you can see "piccies" at http://modvid.com.au/html/body_charging_moose_mining_co.html It is very nicely done.

As Southerner here in the USA I loved the Muskrat Ramble Geoff helped build in On30.

Have you guys seen these neat models in person??? Is it part of the Australian modeling scene to work on a project for 1-2 years and then start over again on another???? This is different than the USA way of building a monster layout for 15-20 years.

Enjoying the dialogue with the other side of the world and upside down too.

Doc Tom:thumb:

Quarryman

Hi Tom :wave:

Yeah, I've seen Geoff's work on line and in the model press.
Very nice work indeed. :thumb::thumb::thumb:

I would say Layouts are smaller and don't seem to last as long as the U.S.
Layouts. Variety is the spice of life sign1

:wave::wave: Joe.

anubis51

Little Loco
Hi Quarryman,

I love what you have done to the old Forney....your work is an inspiration. The tender is brilliant, and your pix are great too!

I had similar trouble with my Forney (Kate) on my layout. That BIG backside just trended to wipe following wagons off the rails in tight radius curves.

Running her backwards was a marginal improvement, due to less lateral swing, but what was really needed was a conversion to a 2-4-0 with tender.

I achieved this with a Backwoods Miniatures kit, and now, I am happy to report......Kate is finally a lady!!

Also much more suited to my petite mining layout.

But, one must ask oneself, is she still a Forney??? :?:

:->

Quarryman

Hi Anubis51.
That is the whole point of the exersize.... IT'S NOT A FORNEY!!
Forneys are a dime a dozen out there. I wanted something different that you
don't see on every Layout.
How about some Pics. of your Bash?

Cheers, Joe.

anubis51

Little Loco
Hi Quarryman.

Sorry mate, I wasn't asking about your conversion - of course, your saddle tank is no longer a Forney!

I was asking the question about my simple little conversion. :eek:ops:

After all, as far as I know, Forneys were built in either 0-4-4 or 2-4-4 configurations, so removing the fuel bunker (and that BIG backside) and replacing it with a small tender would make it no longer of Forney wheel layout, even though the 'up front' bit remains the same.

I will post a pic, but my work is nowhere near your standards.....:cry:

Attachments

• Forney Converted a.jpg
    Forney Converted a.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 26

Quarryman

That is very NICE !!!!
would love to see more pics of your Layout.
How about starting a Thread showing what you've done.

Cheers, Joe.

TonyO

WOW! what an excellent mod. to the Forney. I have 1 and it behaved very badly on tight radii, so I mainly ran it in reverse, I considered changing it to a 2-4-0 and lopping off the tender, but wouldn't you know it, I have the wrong version with the wood cab. It is behaving a lot better now, maybe it is run in.

TonyO

Hey Anubis51, you have the same cab in your ex-Forney as I have, you have done a very neat extension of the cab. I was in touch with Backwoods and they told me that the conversion required the steel cab with the doors set back further. Well Done! Do you by any chance have any pics of your cab mod please?

anubis51

Little Loco
Hi Tony,

I purchased the Forney conversion kit from Backwoods Miniatures and it wasn't until it arrived that I realised that it was not designed to suit my wooden cab. :curse:

I didn't want to send it back to UK, and not wishing to see it go to waste, I just thought "Why not?" and proceeded to cut my Forney (Kate) up as per the instructions.

The job was quite straightforward, even for a bloke like me, with ten thumbs. When it came to the cab, I just removed the grab rails and the doors, and carefully cut the rear wall sections away with a razor saw.

The two rear side sections were then moved forwards to where the doors had been, and a little bit of sanding and filling hid the join.

I'm afraid that I can't supply any pics of the cab mods. as it never occurred to me to take any. :cry:

Kate's rear fuel bunker and its wheel set sat in my junk box for a few weeks before I tarted them up, and used them as a short tender for my Mogul, which now fits on my small turntable beautifully! :yep:

Kate was a lovely smooth runner before the mods, but was not especially good at sharp radii, or any dips in the track, which would usually result in the driving wheels spinning in thin air.......but since the mods, she looks great, runs like a Swiss watch, and handles all my sharp curves (15" and less) with ease.

It has made a Lady out of Forney Kate.......:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

Apart from the new tender, and cab mods, the loco is pretty much standard Forney.

Here's another shot from the fireman's side......

Attachments

• Passenger Consist a.jpg
    Passenger Consist a.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 31