Enhanced BB-8 from Star Wars

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
With support troops like the ones we have here I doubt it would be an option NOT to release the revised file. :):):)

Cybergrinder

Member Extraordinaire
I have only one question; why were there no football jokes or attempts to kick BB8 in the movie? He has a uncanny resemblence to a branded name of football. (Soccer for the US guys ;))

@Revell-Fan ; make a leather version & then we can play Star Wars Football! (his head can add a new dimension to predicting the flight and passes...)

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
CG, that idea is fantastic! Even I hadn't thought about that. It really would be cool to have a soccer ball with that texture. :)

However, when the desert camp was under attack BB-8 was thrown through the air like a ball. I doubt it was the fully equipped electronic one. :)

BTW, what about using the lightsabers for baseball? Might come in handy to slice the ball in halves on occasion..! ;) :D

Cybergrinder

Member Extraordinaire
Not sure about the baseball..... "And it's out of the park!!" "No Frank, the catcher is picking up the pieces." or Kylo Ren temper tantrums when one gets struck out, could be lethal....:fight:

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I'll send him the revised pattern and ask him for approval first. :)

Texturing of the ball is complete; I'm now trying to improve the head. :)

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
He surely does not have a patent on that shape which is a common geometric shape. I don't see any problems with you posting that model here. I would like to see what legs anyone would have on this, on the geometric shape, or the Star Wars front? No one has any rights to this model. If someone sent me a request asking for permission, I would not respond, not wanting to claim ownership over anything "Star Wars", if you think about it.

pittpenguin123

all he did was used some basic shapes from something like pepakura and slaped a texture on it. you practicly made a new texture

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I'm using the unfold, size and basic texture another artist has made. So I feel it is important to ask and give credit to the original creator of the model. I'm only the tinkerer, but without him there would not be such a BB-8. :)

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Alright, he has got a ball: :D

DSCF1574.jpg

DSCF1575.jpg

DSCF1576.jpg

I tried to make the sphere as seamless as possible. I cut out the pattern quite close to the outlines and scraped off any visible light grey lines with my cutter. I'll definitely have to practise the water-shaping because my first attempts were a bit messy (maybe I used too much water or the paper was too thin; the result started to wrinkle in the corners). So the sphere was assembled "dry". ;)

I cut off all flaps, cut small glueing strips from scrap paper and glued the pieces together on the back side. Combining the two halves was a bit tricky because the paper strips I added took away some of the flexibility of the parts. I managed it though. The toughest part was attaching the two octagonal end caps to the ball. This is where I got a bit sloppy. You can see that in the picture directly above; if it had been done correctly the texture would have ligned up perfectly. But, well, there are many ways to display the model and hide the flaws. ;) (The easiest way would be to print the pieces again, cut the texture greeblies out and glue them onto the existing panels.)

The unfold of this sphere is ingenious because it is very efficient (it saves much paper; believe me, I edited it and each result required much more space) and it is pleasing to the eye from various perspectives. If the sphere had been made as a series of orange slices or rings it would have looked strange if it was not displayed vertically / horizontally, as if it was not aligned correctly.

However, I'm not finished with this one yet. Right now I'm experimenting a bit with the head. I have entered a new level here because I am tweaking the unfold on a 2D canvas (since I do not have the original 3D model). Stay tuned! :)

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
That would require massive alterations to the 3D model, so I don't know. But never say never! :)

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Yep, this is a very ballsy project! ;) I have already made three of them and I can't get enough! :D