Eastern Tn logging on the DG CC & W RR 1928

Doctor G

Neat house. Glad to see you have a plan going forward. Will be fun to watch the layout develop. Doc Tom

Last edited:

Bill Nelson

with most of my railroading activities pretty much on old, and not being able to share pictures off my phone, on this forum, I have been absent a lot here. but here is a locomotive project from last year. it is a United V&T Original Reno. Identical in looks with my old #2, which was an AHM Genoa, excepting it has much finer detail, and does not have the oversized flanges that caused problems on much of my layout where code 83, 70, and 55 are in use.

am trying to do layout planning for the garage our lake house in Stewart TN, and a workshop next to the garage behind the the bungalow in Houston Texas that will be our winter home.

neither location has enough space for most of my current RR, although I can fit Crooked Creek, my sawmill town into the space currently allotted for RR in the garage, but I have not yet figured out how to build a good plan around it. My wife would like to get a laundry room that was on the main level , and thinks a detached garage might be a good idea. If I could get the laundry room, the car, and the kayaks and canoe out of the garage that would free up a lot of space, and my RR would only have to share space with tool boxes, work benches, the mower, a seating area, and an interior stairs, which we do not have at this time.

using Crooked Creek would let me establish a fully sceniced 3x18 switching area very quickly, but the grade at the 21 inch radius curve at Tom's bend is 3.3% and is severely limiting for some of my tiny rod Locomotives. Also Crooked Creek somehow is well set up to deal with sizable trains, and I don't have enough space to make other areas similarly proportioned. So my dilemma is do I start with Crooked Creek. or do I start over, building for 4-8 car trains, with a 2% ruling grade on the main, to let tiny rod engines do their thing, sand perhaps some steeper grades on mining or logging branches.

I'm even considering making provision for continuous running. with less usable space in Houston: I'm thinking of doing mainly doing HOn3 narrow gauge there as most of my Hon3 equipment will do a 16 inch radius, and what won't could be used in TN to feed logs and Iron ore to my RR, saving space for more scenery between locations. just have a lot of variables to juggle, and I don't like a lot of the only options I have. I'm aware that years ago, when I started my thy attic RR, the biggest error was starting with what I had, and that small area, with steep curves and short sidings became the standard that everything but Crooked Creek was built to.

using a lot of graph paper, and not getting anywhere quick; but hopefully I can make most of my mistakes on paper

Doctor G

with most of my railroading activities pretty much on old, and not being able to share pictures off my phone, on this forum, I have been absent a lot here. but here is a locomotive project from last year. it is a United V&T Original Reno. Identical in looks with my old #2, which was an AHM Genoa, excepting it has much finer detail, and does not have the oversized flanges that caused problems on much of my layout where code 83, 70, and 55 are in use.

am trying to do layout planning for the garage our lake house in Stewart TN, and a workshop next to the garage behind the the bungalow in Houston Texas that will be our winter home.

neither location has enough space for most of my current RR, although I can fit Crooked Creek, my sawmill town into the space currently allotted for RR in the garage, but I have not yet figured out how to build a good plan around it. My wife would like to get a laundry room that was on the main level , and thinks a detached garage might be a good idea. If I could get the laundry room, the car, and the kayaks and canoe out of the garage that would free up a lot of space, and my RR would only have to share space with tool boxes, work benches, the mower, a seating area, and an interior stairs, which we do not have at this time.

using Crooked Creek would let me establish a fully sceniced 3x18 switching area very quickly, but the grade at the 21 inch radius curve at Tom's bend is 3.3% and is severely limiting for some of my tiny rod Locomotives. Also Crooked Creek somehow is well set up to deal with sizable trains, and I don't have enough space to make other areas similarly proportioned. So my dilemma is do I start with Crooked Creek. or do I start over, building for 4-8 car trains, with a 2% ruling grade on the main, to let tiny rod engines do their thing, sand perhaps some steeper grades on mining or logging branches.

I'm even considering making provision for continuous running. with less usable space in Houston: I'm thinking of doing mainly doing HOn3 narrow gauge there as most of my Hon3 equipment will do a 16 inch radius, and what won't could be used in TN to feed logs and Iron ore to my RR, saving space for more scenery between locations. just have a lot of variables to juggle, and I don't like a lot of the only options I have. I'm aware that years ago, when I started my thy attic RR, the biggest error was starting with what I had, and that small area, with steep curves and short sidings became the standard that everything but Crooked Creek was built to.

using a lot of graph paper, and not getting anywhere quick; but hopefully I can make most of my mistakes on paper
Hi Bill.
Good to hear from you. I really like the locomotive. Very well done. Looking forward to more of your story of the RR as it unfolds. Doc Tom

Bill Nelson

Have simplified you photo posting issues. My ancient I pad's photos work on zealot without editing. One issue solved.

Last year the wife
I've had to move to Texas to help make medical decisions for her elderly patients. She is a pediatric nurse practitioner, and was able to get a lucrative part time job doing urgent care.

She lived with my daughter for a while, then found a Bungalow a few blocks away in a very nice neighborhood. I was planning on retiring from the school system over the summer, so when they closed schools for Covid, I went down to live with her.

Since I have 4 or five risk factors, and she was often getting exposed, She retired as well. We are planning to sell the farm, live at the lake house most of the year, and in Texas in the winter time.

My big RR will have to come down. I have about 19x11 spaces in Texas and the lake, but that will have to include workbench space, anD in Texas may include a washer and drier as well. The Texas space is also complicated by Windows and doors. Likely I will be doing narrow gauge there , as I can get away with 16 inch radiuses.

With trains on hold I have been continuing work on an old project, a scratch built RC paddle wheeler. Check the R C section

Photos of my project ,and the dock that hopefully will be its home port.image.jpegimage.jpeg

gbwdude

General Manager, W.R.Ry.
Bill,

I'll be relocating here again. I know I dropped off the radar for a while, and I'll make a post on my Whiskey River Ry thread, but in 2019 I lost my job at the railroad. I did gain employment with a hotel as their maintenance guy but pay wise was lacking, so I packed up everything and headed back home to Wisconsin. I was able to get a job with Oshkosh Defense building the JLTV's and have been there since October '19. Now with a little more of the storm calmed, I'm closing on a house here at the end of the month. I can't wait to get out of this apartment and back into a house again.

Tyler

Bill Nelson

The pelican was unstable, am working on a different design sailing keel. Will reevaluate, but it may end up as a static model.

Bill Nelson

Been cleaning out the desk and tool boxes at the. Lake.

image.jpeg

Here is the view out the garage door.

image.jpeg
My current plan is to make a 4x12 portable out of four 2x4 sections.

Am trying to draw inspiration from a portable I built in the 70's. Am rehabbing old buildings from my old layout, repairing and upgrading do them, as well as repainting them to my railroads current paint scheme.

image.jpeg

Here is a photo of the Bumpass, TN station, with it's water tower in front of a color photo of the station on the Bumpass Modules, and a black and white photo of the station on the layout I built in highschool.

image.jpeg

Last is a photo of a station I scratch built in my first round of coved isolation

Bill Nelson

An overall view of my bumpass modules from 1978?image.jpeg

This portable was designed to fit in a 72 pinto wagonimage.jpeg

The two haves fit together, with one upside down so the backdrops Formed a 2x2x3 boximage.jpeg
A medley of photos.
.image.jpeg
A plan I'm working on, trying to channel the old portable in a 4x12

image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    125.2 KB · Views: 1

Bill Nelson

plans to build a separate workshop for trains and tools at the lake will likely have to wait till we can sell the farm. the house is as rough as homemade sin, vut it is sitting on 21 acres, less than a mile as the crow flies from the center of downtown, in an area that has seen explosive growth.. we may retain 11 acres, as an investment, and to keep a toe hold in an area we have lived since 1978/9.

I have negotiated for half of the garage, 29 x 11.5, which my RR would have to share with the water pump equipment, the Hvac equipment my carpentry tools, my mechanic's tools, , and 2-3 kayaks. II'm thinking of trtaining Crooked Creek, my sawmill company town. perhaps as an upper deck . plans are still fluild, but Crooked Creek has 19 delivery locations, and an engine facility, so with some log camps and staging, it could keep a couple operators busy. it was built in sections, so transport shouldn't destroy it.

that is my plan for now, I have a lot of other work to do at the farm . we have house sitters there , paying minimal rent in exchange for doing some repairs, and organizing. a couple weeks and we will transition to Tennessee..

Y'all take care, I'll post more stuff when I figure out resizing photos

Bill Nelson

My current plan is to take my sawmill town of crooked creek, and move it, hopefully temporarily into the garage at the lake. I hope to build a hobby barn at the lake, with room for a wood shop, boat storage, hobby work benches and desks, a sizable railroad room, and a crew lounge with a lake view.

toptrain1

Bill keep plaining and doing for as long as U Can. I really enjoyed thse 67 pages or whatever they are of info, pictures and,and,and whatever else it is I have seen and read. Impresive just isn't enough.
frank

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
I truly don't like to move. The last place I lived at was for 23 years. The amount of stuff I had quickly filled up the house I purchased, but I had to build a barn. Of course, once the barn was finished, I wish I had built it bigger. I've been in this house 23 years. I hoped I'm black bagged, or boxed out. I dread the though off having to move.

I wish you the best of luck. Pack what you love carefully, and carry that stuff with you. Sometimes things have a way of disappearing. Best of luck to you and your move. :)

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Bill,

I'll be relocating here again. I know I dropped off the radar for a while, and I'll make a post on my Whiskey River Ry thread, but in 2019 I lost my job at the railroad. I did gain employment with a hotel as their maintenance guy but pay wise was lacking, so I packed up everything and headed back home to Wisconsin. I was able to get a job with Oshkosh Defense building the JLTV's and have been there since October '19. Now with a little more of the storm calmed, I'm closing on a house here at the end of the month. I can't wait to get out of this apartment and back into a house again.

Tyler
Best of luck to you. I hope you get into that house quick and get all settled in without a hitch. Glad to hear you got a job with OshKosh, I hear they are a great outfit to work for. :)