Earth and Moon

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Brittle material make good bearing surfaces for things like watches, where a point spins, on a Ruby, usually. That's why I recommend using the Gel form of Crazy (Super) glues. They really are called Cyanoacrylates. I, when I do use these products,, use an accelerant that makes them turn almost into a glass like hardness. The Gel stuff , if you put Vaseline on the surface of the tip of the pointed shaft, will harden, but the Vaseline will prevent it from binding to it, the same can be done with the bottom part of the shaft, a little Vaseline around the area of the globe that is treated.. So now you have a surface with the shape of the tip, and bottom, lubricated, and ready to go.

The stuff on Skis comes off from the friction of the snow, which is why skies have to be treated. Cyanoacrylates could not take the bending forces, the surface and structure would develop cracks. :)

Reactions: lizzienewell

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Candle wax works great too. :)

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Neat Video. Unfortunately we can only link (or embed) YouTube videos. We had a lot of security issues with Facebook, and had to quickly dissolve our very short relationship. It's easy to open a YouTube account with a throw away GMail account. You'll reach more people through YouTube, and you can maintain some anonymity. :)

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
With all you do, it would be a good way to show your work, and since everyone with an Android phone has the ability to go into YouTube and comment, you have an audience waiting for you. ;)

lizzienewell

Jun 24, 2005
Anchorage, Alaska
lizzienewell.com
Uh oh, I had another idea on basic design change. I'm working on getting the surface rounder and so I'm making changes to adapt for paper thickness. I then realized that the model has built in slop which results in inaccuracy in relation to roundness. The subdividing struts are longer than the basic struts. I solved this by doing a rolled fold which makes the shapes elastic. If I do a hard fold, this elasticity will be gone and the sphere will come out rounder.

lizzienewell

Jun 24, 2005
Anchorage, Alaska
lizzienewell.com
Here's iteration 6. I think I like it with the ocean outlined instead of fully painted. It's easier to see the islands. In this one the continents are with unbleached titanium paint. The oceans are Prussian blue, so only two colors of paint +white. I might be able to make the surface rounder but I'm thinking it's not worth the additional pieces. I like showing off how the whole thing goes together.

I've been talking to people. It looks like 4th grade might be my target audience. Locally study of geography is on the 4th grade curriculum. I want to take a look at the curriculum and write the instructions in a way which combines the topics studied in 4th grade. But to day I was talking with a teacher about 8th grade SPED. Maybe several versions of instructions.
20180115_223515.jpg 20180115_223509.jpg

lizzienewell

Jun 24, 2005
Anchorage, Alaska
lizzienewell.com
20180115_230027.jpg I'm pleased with a design change here with how the folds are scored. Unfortunately you can't really see it. This has valley folds in green and mountain folds in red. The lavender dotted lines are soft(not creased folds. I'm not sure what this is called in origami parlance. If anyone knows please let me know. I'm scoring this with a row of small parallel score marks perpendicular to the fold. It works great, folding in the right place without a tool. I looks at though I may have perfected the inside structure. Still some work on the map needed and then I scale up to 4". I think that may be the best size for kids.

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
I like this one, problem is I liked the other ones too. I think you should consider using a few of your iterations. It gives people choice, and they will buy if they have choice, forget about getting them to buy it, you have to get them to choose which one they are going to buy! :)

lizzienewell

Jun 24, 2005
Anchorage, Alaska
lizzienewell.com
:) The will all be iterations. I see no reason to do the same thing twice, not when there is so much I want to try. I also want to show how my creative process works. It's similar to the scientific process. I have an idea(hypothesis) for what might work and they try it. If it doesn't work I've learned something, and I might get another idea which will work better. I'd like to get kids involved in this kind of thinking. We've got to get away from testing as a way of determining merit and punishment and away from fear of failure.

Reactions: zathros

Gandolf50

Researcher of obscure between war vehicles...
Staff member
Jan 28, 2013
New Mexico USA
View attachment 162884 I'm pleased with a design change here with how the folds are scored. Unfortunately you can't really see it. This has valley folds in green and mountain folds in red. The lavender dotted lines are soft(not creased folds. I'm not sure what this is called in origami parlance. If anyone knows please let me know. I'm scoring this with a row of small parallel score marks perpendicular to the fold. It works great, folding in the right place without a tool. I looks at though I may have perfected the inside structure. Still some work on the map needed and then I scale up to 4". I think that may be the best size for kids.

https://mazdias.wordpress.com/2012/12/19/geometric-mechanics-of-curved-crease-origami/

https://mazdias.wordpress.com/2012/12/19/the-shape-and-mechanics-of-curved-fold-origami-structures/

Reactions: zathros

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
That's really pretty!!. Maybe you could make some "Flat-Earth" planet fantasy pieces, like on the Roger Dean Posters of "YES" albums. Open some fantasy worlds, it would be really interesting. ;)

flat-earth-1.jpg

In the movie, "Thor, Asgard, is a flat planet, and the water flows off the edge, and the mist is pulled back into the disc, and puulled back up and recycled. Fantasy and fun at the same time.
AsgardFull.jpg

Then there's A'tuin, the Star Turtle. :)

Atuin Star Turtle.jpg