Strick67

AKA Dinoreplicas
This is the stuff I've been using to put paint on the wall. The mural is just about complete so I've decided it's not worth taking another intermediate photo. I'm just going to crack on until it's finished.

painting_stuff_by_strick67_dehmuh6-pre.jpg

micahrogers

Moderator "Where am I, and how did I get here?"
Staff member
Very nice, and great artwork too. my ex and I painted the kids whole room as a "SpongeBob Squarepants" Bikini Bottom, complete with pineapple, easter island head and rock... We even used textured paint for the sand, and road. with wavy clouds and glow in the dark stars on the ceiling. 20 odd years ago when my hands didn't shake so bad.

Strick67

AKA Dinoreplicas
Very nice, and great artwork too. my ex and I painted the kids whole room as a "SpongeBob Squarepants" Bikini Bottom, complete with pineapple, easter island head and rock... We even used textured paint for the sand, and road. with wavy clouds and glow in the dark stars on the ceiling. 20 odd years ago when my hands didn't shake so bad.
Crazy to think SpongeBob has been around that long! Great theme for a kids wall too, your use of special materials, really creative.

Made a W.I.P. pic and an animated GIF sequence

jurassic_mural_w_i_p__images_by_strick67_dehw23z-pre.jpg

dehw28p-0bb2d347-0915-4b6e-a88a-fe10d8976d51.gif

Strick67

AKA Dinoreplicas
Thought I'd resurrect my old animated walking Allosaurus skeleton I made in 2017. I originally had this hosted on a real-time 3D website service but I closed the account when I was tipped off that someone was stealing my work.

Anyway I've got no immediate plans for an art project so the thought occurred to me- why not bring it back as a youtube video.

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
You are quite a talented artist. This thread should be called "How to make Dinosaur Murals"! :)

Strick67

AKA Dinoreplicas
You are quite a talented artist. This thread should be called "How to make Dinosaur Murals"! :)
Still thrilled by the response to the mural. I can say they're fun to do and I'd reccomend to anyone who fancies putting some paint on a wall. Maybe I'll get an opportunity to do another sometime.

Here's some old screen-grabs of how the real-time Allo looked when originally hosted. Modelled in blender 2.77, walking gait was loosely based on that of an ostrich.

animated_walking_allosaurus_1_by_strick67_dbchfew-pre.jpg

allosaurus_walk_3_by_strick67_deiqdk8-pre.jpg

lion_of_the_jurassic_by_strick67_dbchgsy-pre.jpg

The main references I used are a bit out of date now as there's been a re-evaluation of Allosaurus over the last couple of years. For what it was I think the model was OK at the time.
  • Gilmore, C., 1920. Osteology of the carnivorous Dinosauria in the United States National Museum, with special reference to the genera Antrodemus (Allosaurus) and Ceratosaurus. Bulletin of the United States National Museum, (110), p.i-159.
  • Madsen, James H. 1976. Allosaurus fragilis: A Revised Osteology. Utah Geological Survey Bulletin 109 (2nd ed.). Salt Lake City: Utah Geological Survey.
Thanks to my recently acquired tablet PC, I should finally be able to make use of Blender's fast new Eevee renderer. Both my desktop PC and my laptop are too outdated to run the 2.8/2.9 series of Blender and are stuck with 2.79.

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
That is freakin' awesome!! A lot of people here have questions about Blender. Don't be surprised if you start getting asked some questions. ;)

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
John_Hammond.jpg

My dear friend, this is remarkable. You have achieved something our InGen engineers have spent years to accomplish. Would you be interested in creating something which might be turned into a giveaway for our little Park visitors, like a free model kit or anythink like that?

:)

Strick67

AKA Dinoreplicas
That is freakin' awesome!! A lot of people here have questions about Blender. Don't be surprised if you start getting asked some questions. ;)
Thanks, I'm don't consider myself a Blender expert but I'll pass on any tips I can and I'm fairly open about my personal art techniques. We're all learners after all.

My dear friend, this is remarkable. You have achieved something our InGen engineers have spent years to accomplish. Would you be interested in creating something which might be turned into a giveaway for our little Park visitors, like a free model kit or anythink like that? :)
Cheers for that. I'd like to create another papercraft though it will be a while before I get round to it. Knowing me it'll probably be prehistoric themed :).

Strick67

AKA Dinoreplicas
Well I looked over the old Allosaurus file, The rig has a few quirks and issues and I can't remember much of how I got the parts working the way they do. The animation looks a little bouncy in hindsight but I'm not going to change anything.

allosaurus_skeleton_rig_by_strick67_dej3vhw-pre.jpg

Been having a go with Blender 2.92, quite bewildering after using 2.79 for so long. I had a little play with 2.8 a while back so it's not completely unfamiliar, I'll properly get my head around it eventually. The Eevee renderer is fun though, doesn't work that great on the CPU integrated graphics of my Surface pro but at least it works which is what really matters. I'll do a few tests then start planning a video.

Strick67

AKA Dinoreplicas
I'm looking forward to seeing it!:)

Thanks, hopefully it's worth a couple of views for dinosaur fans. I was annoyed when I had to remove the real-time version so this is a good way for me to put the project to rest. If I ever have a catastrophic backup failure it'll still be viewable in some form.

Quick blast of the walk-cycle with a quartered frame rate-

dej6i9o-590aaf9e-7310-4370-ba49-0acc10804e55.gif

Picked out some background music, worked out a 'story' for the video and started planning the shots. I really got into story-boarding ( #1 #2 ) with the Styracosaurus video and it really does help the process. Some things will probably be revised along the way.

dej6hz2-1aeea6dd-a6f9-4d77-a115-ae30a0588c94.jpg

For the 'rig demo' section I was going to have a montage of screen-grabs showing the model in Blender but now I'm thinking I might try a bit of screen-cast video of me messing with the rig instead, I'll look into doing this. Might be able to get the video out fairly quickly if I get moving on it.

dej6igz-20ea1b4a-b827-457f-ab57-07e7402c5843.jpg