Design thread for the SA-43 Hammerhead Fighter (Space: Above and Beyond)

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
I am excited that this is being designed and built. I am greatly looking forward to trying my hand at building it myself!

micahrogers

Moderator "Where am I, and how did I get here?"
Staff member

Awry_Chaos

OKB-4155
Here is another update. I am starting to flesh out the position of the main wings and the primary exhausts for the engines. It will help act as a guide for the main fuselage and air intakes. Once I get those blocked out, I'll probably start adding loops, merging vertices and getting the overall mesh shaped up.

Attachments

• HH_0006.png
    HH_0006.png
    703.8 KB · Views: 12
  • HH_0007.png
    HH_0007.png
    434.4 KB · Views: 10
  • HH_0008.png
    HH_0008.png
    689.4 KB · Views: 12
  • HH_0009.png
    HH_0009.png
    501.8 KB · Views: 12
  • HH_0010.png
    HH_0010.png
    426.2 KB · Views: 13

mijob

Tie designer
Staff member
It looks realy good, you are doing a fantastic job on this one. :toast:

Awry_Chaos

OKB-4155
Did you try the file I posted? I got it to Render. See pic below. It could save you a lot of time and seems very accurate. :)

View attachment 198981
Yes, I got the file you posted and it opened up niceley in Blender. Thank you, it's a good find. The version I am going for comes from the actual screenshots of the CG model the used in the show. I'm attaching a couple pictures to show the difference between the model you found and the show's CG model.

As you can see the main differences are in the main "air intakes" on the top of the model and the "exhausts" at the back of the model.
1638673100663.png
1638673339490.png
1638673983488.png

Awry_Chaos

OKB-4155
Are you going to make a interior?
Yes, I'll be doing a cockpit interior. I was actually amazed by how big the cockpit interior of the Hammerhead is.

ByYourCommand.net has some excellent references of the cockpit:

That is the one thing Hollywood likes: big cockpit interiors, nice and roomy!

I also want to do two-seat and four-seat versions of the Hammerhead. Eventually there will be an ELINT/Electronics Warfare version, along with a Search-and-Rescue (SAR) version.

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
I see what you mean, the front engine intakes paint makes them look more different than they are, but the exhaust on this CAD model are way off. Most of the rest of the model is pretty accurate. I do hope that you will make leading edges on your model. Getting flowing lines and the compound curves of this model is quite a job. When I use a CAD model as reference, I usually tear 90% of it out, and use the over all shape to draw mu Control Points over, to get the right shape. I use pictures, like you do, to get the right shape. I exploded that Mesh a bit to show you that since most of the model is right, you could save a lot of time. With the parts separated, it would be easy to make proper exhausts. Stick with whatever method you are comfortable with. I do not know the capabilities of Blender, it's a bit unintuitive to me, so I stick to Rhino. This model will be a handful to make properly. Good luck! :)

Clipboard 2.jpg

mijob

Tie designer
Staff member
I think its a designer thing to draw your own model. I would draw my own only use the hard parts if needed.

Awry_Chaos

OKB-4155
Here's another update. The model's form is starting to take shape. I'm blocking in the major forms and big details, getting an overall shape to the model. So, far, so good. This update shows the progression of getting the top portion of the fuselage and the main air intakes. To do this I made a loop cut in the fuselage to mark the position of the main air intakes (see image: HH_0012.png) and then I extruded the four faces on the left side of the model to get the basic form you see in the images.

The next step will be to adjust this form to more closely match the reference. I may have to add a couple of edge loops in order to match the air intakes to the reference, keeping in mind that I'm just after the initial shape.

Attachments

• HH_0011.png
    HH_0011.png
    556.1 KB · Views: 10
  • HH_0012.png
    HH_0012.png
    416.6 KB · Views: 9
  • HH_0013.png
    HH_0013.png
    522.7 KB · Views: 8
  • HH_0014.png
    HH_0014.png
    540.7 KB · Views: 8
  • HH_0015.png
    HH_0015.png
    400.2 KB · Views: 10
  • HH_0016.png
    HH_0016.png
    413.5 KB · Views: 9

Awry_Chaos

OKB-4155
I see what you mean, the front engine intakes paint makes them look more different than they are, but the exhaust on this CAD model are way off. Most of the rest of the model is pretty accurate. I do hope that you will make leading edges on your model. Getting flowing lines and the compound curves of this model is quite a job. When I use a CAD model as reference, I usually tear 90% of it out, and use the over all shape to draw mu Control Points over, to get the right shape. I use pictures, like you do, to get the right shape. I exploded that Mesh a bit to show you that since most of the model is right, you could save a lot of time. With the parts separated, it would be easy to make proper exhausts. Stick with whatever method you are comfortable with. I do not know the capabilities of Blender, it's a bit unintuitive to me, so I stick to Rhino. This model will be a handful to make properly. Good luck! :)

View attachment 198996
Blender is a capable program, but you are right, it's not that intuitive. I'm sure you've heard the saying: "There's the right way. The wrong way. And then there is the military way." The same applies to Blender. Blender tends to have its own way of doing things. Instead of going A, B, C, D, and E; with Blender it might end up going from A to B, then E to C, and then finally doing D.