Deepsea Challenger (1:35)

mikezax

Jan 3, 2010
Slovakia
zax.sk
Scale : 1:35
Author : Julius Perdana (free model)
Source : paper-replika.com

this-is-how-to-do-it-james-camerons-10-million-deepsea-v0-26t8c0sgto7b1.jpgIMG_9893.jpg

A few words about the original:

Deepsea Challenger (DCV 1) is a 7.3-metre (24 ft) deep-diving submersible designed to reach the bottom of the Challenger Deep, the deepest-known point on Earth. On 26 March 2012, Canadian film director James Cameron piloted the craft to accomplish this goal in the second crewed dive reaching the Challenger Deep. Built in Sydney, Australia, by the research and design company Acheron Project Pty Ltd, Deepsea Challenger includes scientific sampling equipment and high-definition 3-D cameras; it reached the ocean's deepest point after two hours and 36 minutes of descent from the surface.

deepsea_instructions_9.jpg

The model can be downloaded from paper-replika.com. The hull is quite nicely designed, but the details are missing, so I completed them according to the available photos... I modified the following things:
- ship screws added to vertical engines
- 3D camera added above the visor
- 4 reflectors added above the visor
- added arms, on the right another 3D camera and reflector, on the left reflector, added cables
-completed robotic arm under the visor, added reflector and cables
- added details and load on both sides of the hull
-added rivets and frames that protect vertical motors and reflectors (wire) and that's about it...
...a few photos:

DSCN8765.jpgDSCN8769.jpgDSCN8777.jpgDSCN8779.jpgDSCN8785.jpgDSCN8787.jpgDSCN8793.jpgDSCN8795.jpgDSCN8797.jpgDSCN8803.jpg

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Mike, that came out fantastic!! I wouldn't go underwater in it, looks great, but since it's paper, you'd probably die, but it looks fantastic!! :)

mijob

Tie designer
Staff member
Jul 5, 2020
Netherlands
Its indeed a very awesome model and so crisp and clear. And as DC sugests can you make a build thread?

mikezax

Jan 3, 2010
Slovakia
zax.sk
...thank you, the model came out nicely and the details took it to a higher level...;)

...the construction itself was not difficult, you just have to be careful when gluing the foil in the central part... in the end I didn't use instant glue, but double-sided tape to stick the foil so as not to dirty it...

...as for the finished details, the arms are made of toothpicks, I drew the lights in photoshop, I made the robotic arm from paper according to the photos...

I didn't take photos of the process because I wanted to finish it before the exhibition in Myjava:

at least one photo I took for a friend and then a photo from the exhibition:

DSCN7632.jpgDSCN8496.jpg