Death Star prototype

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Micheal's Craft Stores has all kinds of objects like that you can use. If you have one in your area, I would suggest a visit. ;)

Reactions: mijob

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
At this scale you could use real tube segments with real clamps around them but you have to get the angle right. Or you use a thick cardboard ring with two or more thinner rings glued to the top and bottom. That would give you a nice texture and a curved surface. Then slide the clamps on it or wrap paper strips around it to simulate the clamps.

mijob

Tie designer
Staff member
Jul 5, 2020
Netherlands
At this scale you could use real tube segments with real clamps around them but you have to get the angle right. Or you use a thick cardboard ring with two or more thinner rings glued to the top and bottom. That would give you a nice texture and a curved surface. Then slide the clamps on it or wrap paper strips around it to simulate the clamps.
Yeah I could try that too. Thank you.

Reactions: Revell-Fan

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
I used to bend straight cardboard tube be putting water using a Q-tip making a ring on the inside edge I wanted to bend. The tube collapses and you have a bend tube. If you put water on the outside, it could break, so I would try and do only half of the tube. Experiment with it, you'll see what I am trying to explain. ;)

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
If you could give me the actual size of the ring, it's thickness and how many segments, I could put into my CAD program and print out the patterns. You can't flatten out curved segments, but you can make them close enough. :)

mijob

Tie designer
Staff member
Jul 5, 2020
Netherlands
If you could give me the actual size of the ring, it's thickness and how many segments, I could put into my CAD program and print out the patterns. You can't flatten out curved segments, but you can make them close enough. :)
That would be great I will fire up my pc and give you the details. And finaly I can start using waterforming.

mijob

Tie designer
Staff member
Jul 5, 2020
Netherlands
@zathros the inner diameter is 33 mm and the outher diameter is 45 mm. And the inner diameter of the clamp is 7 mm.
I think the diameter of the tubes would be 1 or 1.5 mm. I hope you can work with this. And thanks in advance.

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
At that size I would consider using plastic straws, cutting notches into them, heating them a little, over a candle, till they bend, and have a paper with the diameter so you can bend the straw to it. You could cut a slit in a small piece of straw so that it would fit into the ends, and glue the ring closed. That's too small to work with with paper. At 1 mm to 1.5 millimeter, you could even use thick plastic covered wire and put a crease where you want them to bend. :)

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
I think that would work best, and work out best. The wire coating can be painted. Doing this in paper would make you go blind!! You might first want to look at your local craft store. Those places have things I've never imagined. Walk up and down the aisles and see what may work. They have many products made out of word and cardboard. :)

mijob

Tie designer
Staff member
Jul 5, 2020
Netherlands
What a very interesting project.

I have a Hay's Manual on the Death Star. I'll look for any useful material for you...

(I repair all my battle stations with Hay's).
Thanks DC I geuss its the bigest project for me that I've done uptill now.

Reactions: zathros

Chuffy70

Jun 5, 2022
Norwich UK
Lots of folk doubling "their efforts" here, loving the collaboration of ideas... this forum is full of wonderful people.

Me, otherwise has nothing to offer, just sitting back with a coffee enjoying the ride!

mijob

Tie designer
Staff member
Jul 5, 2020
Netherlands
Lots of folk doubling "their efforts" here, loving the collaboration of ideas... this forum is full of wonderful people.

Me, otherwise has nothing to offer, just sitting back with a coffee enjoying the ride!
I love your comment and you are right. There are indeed lovely people in this forum its good to say these things.

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
Michael, to make sure that the model is "replicable" I would use materials which can be found in every household. So wire sounds good to me. Using sophistcated materials like foamcore or foamboard may cause trouble because this is where supply chain issues may begin (at least at my place; it's a PITA to get suitable crafting materials without spending a bazillion €€€ for shipping and handling and no-one can guarantee that the materials you order are suitable for the project; this is why I stick with paper / card only, toothpicks and skewers and avoid stuff like liquid rubber or such). I do know where to get some wire, so no trouble with that. ;)

mijob

Tie designer
Staff member
Jul 5, 2020
Netherlands
I have exactly the same idea. Maybe I found a way to make the wiring from paper. I hope to test this next weekend.

Reactions: Revell-Fan

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
If you cut 1/8th inch paper strips from paper, them find a ring the thickness you want, cut open a section, and warp the paper around the ring, and make sure it is wer, not soaked so that it breaks, when it dries it will hold the round spiral shape, which can then be glued. The notch you cut out allows you to remove the spiral ring. This works up to very large sizes, just experiment a little, and you will see what I am trying to explain. :)

mijob

Tie designer
Staff member
Jul 5, 2020
Netherlands
It was a bit of work but I can begin with building the first parts. I will start with the yelow marked area.
20231022_170445.jpg
And here are the first templates so lets start building.
20231022_170427.jpg
Thanks for all your tube sugestions. I'm gone build them with paper so fingers crossed.