Cutting through the "felgercarb" ..! :-)

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Yo fans!

Recently a dear colleague of mine revealed to me that she was born on May 1st, just like me. We were joking around a bit and I asked her what she would like to get from me. In an instant she handed me over a gardening catalogue and pointed at one of the items shown. "This!" she said. I responded, "Well, okay", and started to grin. She asked me why I was grinning and I said, "Wait and see". She suspected that I had a plan to make her wish come true, however, she would never know how and what I was planning. That is, unless she was reading this thread, of course (which is highly unlikely because she doesn't speak English and she doesn't know of this forum). ;)

So I took the catalogue with me and checked some ideas. A few moments later I had fleshed out my plan which I'd like to share with you.

Since picture upload is impossible at the moment I can only give you a written description of what I have already done: Fired up SketchUp - made a first draft - edited the draft - added a sharp edge at the front - added a spoiler - and just when I started to like what I was seeing I decided to start this thread.

Stay tuned and be surprised. Pictures will follow asap. In the meantime, you may guess what it is. She has no idea what she will be getting! :D:D:D

spaceagent-9

Right Hand Man and Confidant
A very touching gesture, sometimes a personal effort from a friend is worth more than all the tea in china!

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
A paper model of most anything is a GREAT IDEA! I think that she will like it! Especially since you are designing it and making it for her!
I am looking forward to seeing it!

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I think so, too. However, any guesses? It is about "gardening" and "cutting" and "spoiler" ... ? ;)

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Kind of..! ;)

The model will be in 1/3 scale. Odd but necessary. The "set" has a special twist to it which required that decision. The model must not be too small and not too big to fulfill its purpose. Too bad I am unable to show you some pictures but at the moment nothing spectacular is happening, so you don't miss anything. CG modeling is complete and I have decided to make a cutout at the back for the license plate; it just didn't look right placing it on a curved surface. ;)

I'm now unfolding the pattern. Stay tuned! :)

Last edited:

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Is it this?
master:CONV200.jpg

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Nope. More futuristic. ;)

Just to get in the mood:

P.S.: Unfold successful, now adding flaps. The cutout for the plate did not work, the curvature was not heavy enough (it would have complicated the build and was omitted). ;)

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Flaps are set, first test print successful (7 pages / 27 parts). I found some old paper which I recycled for this project. Since the back sides of the parts are not visible on the final model you'll never know that the paper was re-used - unless you cut it open. :)

The size is pretty good (19 x 23 cm), however, I suppose that I'll need to make an internal skeleton. Don't worry, pictures will come asap. :)

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Meh! Major backlash. While I was laminating the base plate to card to add some strength some glue dropped onto the surface and ruined it. I printed the page again and noticed that the colours came out much better using fresh paper. So I'm re-printing the other pages, too...

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
The exact designation is: "Customized Urban Territory Treatment Instrument", or "CUTTI", if you prefer so. ;)

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jason, you won't find CUTTI anywhere except here at zealot. ;)

It is a high-tech tool by Knight Industries. Key features:

• State of the art scanning technology
  • Responsive to voice commands
  • Highly durable chassis from improved Hyper Alloy (cat and bullet proof)
  • LASER beam for precision cutting

and more (which will be revealed in the data sheet ;) ).

Please remember that the whole project started out as a joke, and I'm now fleshing it out. (As a side effect, this joke is producing another paper model and the first ever rendition of a special gardening tool. Admittedly, it is a fictitious version of said tool, but nonetheless.)

:)