Christmas Owl - A Canon Papercraft Kit Bash

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Two days ago a colleague of mine was injured at work. I felt so sorry for her that I decided to build something to cheer her up a bit. So I interrupted the AT-AT build for a second and went through my archive to see what can be done in a VERY short amount of time and which looked nice enough to grab her attention. Since X-mas is coming soon I thought it would be best to come up with something seasonal to create an emotional anchor at the same time. That also would prevent it from being "just a model" and turn it into something special she could cherish and enjoy during the upcoming holidays.

The first kit which grabbed my attention was the cat in a boot by Canon. However, I was unsure how it would be received because I have another friend who loves cats. Making that particular model could be mistaken for a rushed job. I did not want to give the false impression that the model was made for someone else in the first place, namely the cat fan, so cat-themed ones were a no-go. Soon afterwards I found the Christmas hedgehog by Canon:

CNT-0029204_detail-01_s.jpg

However, a hedgehog in a chimney was not quite right to me. Surely, it is a cute design, but I did not know how my colleague thinks about hedgehogs in a chimney. The design is cute, that's out of the question, but in this particular case I wasn't sure if it would be able to transport the message I had for her. So something had to be changed. My choice fell on Canon's barn owl : it is a one-pager, not too many parts, and an owl should always hit a spot. thumbsup

CNT-0021099_detail-01_s.jpg

I began with the owl.

DSCF8537.jpg

As with all Canon models the assembly instructions and very clear and easy to follow.

DSCF8538.jpg

The parts were cut out, pre-shaped and glued together.

DSCF8539.jpg

DSCF8540.jpg

DSCF8541.jpg

DSCF8542.jpg

DSCF8543.jpg

DSCF8544.jpg

DSCF8545.jpg

DSCF8546.jpg

DSCF8547.jpg

DSCF8548.jpg

DSCF8549.jpg

DSCF8550.jpg

DSCF8551.jpg

DSCF8552.jpg

DSCF8553.jpg

It is always amazing to see how well the Canon models go together and how pleasing the result is. Complex organic shapes are designed in a very elegant way with the least amount of cuttings necessary. :)

Work on the owl took from 10:22 PM to 00:41 AM.

Last edited:

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Now on to the chimney. I did not waste any time with editing the template so I printed it as is. Since it is also a one-pager like the owl I assumed that both would fit together somehow, and if they didn't I would find a way to make that happen.

DSCF8555.jpg

I only needed the chimney and the cap.

DSCF8556.jpg

DSCF8557.jpg

The chimney parts fit really well together. I left the flaps to be faster. Since I omitted the hedgehog there was a hole inside the chimney which had to be closed. So I copied and pasted the brick texture from the chimney and created a simple interior.

DSCF8558.jpg

DSCF8564.jpg

DSCF8565.jpg

DSCF8566.jpg

Not too bad! Bottom view:

DSCF8567.jpg

At first I wanted to leave it bottomless but then I thought it would be better to close it to make it look more finished.

DSCF8586.jpg

A simple white rectangle would do. It would look like a snow-covered base and would blend nicely with the other parts.

DSCF8559.jpg

The cap consisted of petals which I don't really like much. However, I was pretty surprised to see that everything looked quite nice when finished:

DSCF8560.jpg

DSCF8561.jpg

DSCF8562.jpg

DSCF8563.jpg

The moment of truth:

DSCF8569.jpg

Without any mods the cap fit PERFECTLY on the owl's head! Honestly, I did not expect that. What a happy coincidence (which saved me some work)! :)

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Now I had to join the two big components together. Luckily the proportions were not off at all which a first test proved:

DSCF8570.jpg

That looked pretty good to me and I glued the owl in place. I wanted to call it quits but something kept bothering me. You should see at first glance that it was supposed to be a Christmas owl but the model lacked "glamour". Fortunately I had some glittering ribbon lying around. Since my attempts at creating a loop failed miserably I made a little scarf:

DSCF8575.jpg

Doesn't that look nice? :)

Assembly of the chimney and placement of the owl took from 00:55 AM to 02:36 AM. Now it was time for bed. :)

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Six hours later I prepared the final steps.

I cut off the paper pompom of the cap and glued on a real pompom made of cotton wool. That was the icing on the cake.

DSCF8579.jpg

DSCF8580.jpg

DSCF8581.jpg

DSCF8582.jpg

DSCF8583.jpg

DSCF8587.jpg

The chimney was big enough to accomodate some sweets.

DSCF8588.jpg

Everything was packed up and brought to work.

DSCF8589.jpg

My colleague absolutely loved the little fellow and appreciated the gesture!:)

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
You did a great job on this project! This is a really good gift idea. I hope that your colleague likes it!

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Thank you! :)

My colleague absolutely loved it. I'm glad I was able to pull this project off so quickly. I had only one evening and one night to complete it, otherwise I hadn't been able to give it to her before the weekend. ;)

Last edited:

micahrogers

Moderator "Where am I, and how did I get here?"
Staff member
Your papercraft gifts are always so nice. This one is exceptional :bowdown: I would have loved the hedgehog, but the owl looks much better.