Buck Rogers in the 25th Century,1/32 Thunderfighter by Martin Saenger

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
It looks good! :)

A small tip regarding the engine half tubes: Pre-shape them by rolling them over a big rod, tube or pen. Then first glue the inner flap down to the fuselage base. Use a thin rod to press down the flap while glue is curing. Space is very narrow there. Then put some glue on the outer flap and carefully push the outer half under the notch of the half circle formers. Constantly press the flap down with a thin rod while adjusting the position of the engine tube with your thumb to achieve a flush finish. Do not press down the half tube itself because that would lead to warping. :)

And in general: NEVER EVER print a kit using "shrink to fit" or via the Windows picture viewer. The parts won't match the scale any longer and as you noticed won't fit as intended. Even if the pages are the same size the printer will spoil them. Don't worry, take it as a learning experience. Please continue, even with mismatching parts this build will prepare you for the next one. Print the pages using the Gimp: Load the images and print them as they are. Gimp will preserve the resolution (203 dpi) and make sure that the parts are correctly scaled. The pages are designed for A4 size, so if you are printing on letter size paper you'll have to rescale them. Do that with the Gimp, too. The easiest way is to raise the resolution while keeping the canvas size. A resize to 210 dpi should suffice. ;)

Last edited:

micahrogers

Moderator "Where am I, and how did I get here?"
Staff member
DSCN0558.JPGDSCN0559.JPGDSCN0560.JPGDSCN0562.JPGDSCN0563.JPGDSCN0564.JPGDSCN0565.JPGDSCN0566.JPG
the current state of the build, top and bottom halves glued together, starting on the skin, now starting on the engine bells... my fingers are too big for this even at this scale. i have reduced the planes to 95 percent using paint, i downloaded the free version of gimp, but can't make heads or tails of it...

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Looks good Micah, not an easy model to build. I'm sure you've figured out. ;)

micahrogers

Staff member
DSCN0567.JPGDSCN0568.JPGDSCN0569.JPGDSCN0570.JPG
one engine tube finished, my edge color marker that looked good on the sheet is too dark on the kit... oh well. my small self closing tweezers, both straight and bent, and my prismacolor marker, i only have 3 that still work, from my days as a draftsman 30 plus years ago...

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
It looks good!
I have built this model a few times in 1:48 scale. It builds well at that scale.
I am looking forward to seeing your 1:48 build.

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
I think it looks great. Especially this being your first one like this. This isn't an easy model. If you built one without shrinking it, combined with the knowledge you gained, you'll make one even better. That being said, this one look really good. :)

micahrogers

Staff member
Thanks "Z" It's a learning curve again, with this model the parts that were doubled, left and right, the first one I did shows the flaws. and the second one looks better. I am re learning skills that I haven't used in a long time, and learning what my hands will let me do now.

Rhaven Blaack

Staff member
Administrator
@micahrogers You did a very good job on this project. I have to say that yours turned out far better than the first one that I did. Then again, this was the very first "kit" paper/cardstock that I had built. It turned out to be an absolute "dogs dinner" (then again, I seriously doubt that a dog would eat it). It took me a few times of building this model before I was able to get it right. It is indeed a difficult model to build. I too found out the hard way to not use the "shrink to fit" option.
I am looking forward to seeing the next one that you make.

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hey, that does not look too bad, really! You are right, the next TF will be much better now that you have familiarized yourself with the parts and assembly. Don't give up, please. This is a very challenging model and mastering it will bring your skills to another level. :)

micahrogers

Staff member

Rhaven Blaack

Staff member
Administrator
Just saw this on my Facebook, a 1/17th scale full resin Thunder Fighter... made by a guy in South Africa, It looks nice.
I have seen that one. It does look GREAT! 1:17 scale is a HUGE model.