Blackadder's Imperator Titan Build

Blackadder

This Will Happen:

I've never felt so confident in a project as in this one.

IMG_0778.JPG

The mistake of last night bore fruit in that I did not have to rebuild the turn table piece.

IMG_0777.JPG

Even the Mid-Waist Platform is the right width for the hips

IMG_0776.JPG

But Lord please don't let it be that the head is too small :D

Blackadder

First Engineering Deck:

Situated below the reactor bay and the command deck this room contains (maybe) the electronic and navigation equipment plus the Adeptus Mechanicus altar and tech priests. I'll figure it out later once I get the other decks laid out.

IMG_0784.JPG

Below are the inner walls of the deck and the center reactor core.

IMG_0783.JPG

And the deck as it stacks up on the titan pelvis block again subject to change as i am not sure how much detail I should add to the top of the pelvic block.

IMG_0781.JPG

Blackadder

Hanging Knees:

That's what they are called in shipbuilding They support the deck beams and are usually curved. In this case I shall leave these flat until I see how the rest of the detail manifests itself.

IMG_0785.JPG

Since I seriously have no plan at this stage other than the black and white video captures and this beautifully rendered 3D image I shall be taking what I deem best from both.

EMPRTOR TITAN ON WHITE BRITE.jpg

I changed the rear panel from round to flat so I can show the interior space.

IMG_0786.JPG

I do like the idea of the railing and balcony and will try to work it into the design just so i can display my Tech Priests.

Famous Dave

I don't know how you do it. I follow your projects, watch them come together, and am still blown away by the level of craftsmanship you posess.
I love 40K and have been a fan for 30 years. I appreciate your diligence in sharing your build threads.
Dave

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
A few years back, a guy was making one of these out of plastic. His had nothing that even came close to what you were doing. He never replied to anyone, and I realized he was just copying and posting the same thread everywhere. Needless to say, that didn't sit well, seeing members ask questions and none of them even getting a nod, but I do remember how lifeless his looked.

The head of yours looks like it's actually staring at you!!! ;)

Blackadder

Thanks for the kind words. I love responding to questions and although I do post on other forums I answer any and all questions and almost always at least thank the replier for their thoughtfulness to comment. speaking of which; I just discovered 'the Gallery' on this forum today. One of the contributors actually is posting wooden ship models. I got my start in scratch building wooden ship models and graduated to resin and styrene when the cost of mahogany got prohibitive. Under what heading do I post 'plank on frame' wood circa 1800 naval vessels? You will get an exclusive on that because years ago I attempted on line to generate interest in model ship building and it fell on deaf ears..er... eyes. ;)

Blackadder

A Broken Precedent.

I don't usually do this but it seems such a 'gimme' that I am running it by without testing the concept.

IMG_0790.JPG

I want the neck to be movable on both axes' up /down and side to side and I went to great lengths to accomplish that with my Warlord.

IMG_0791.JPG

With the Emperor Titan I have a lot more room so I'm trying something different. A 3 inch to 2 inch PVC reducing coupling which gives a 20° up/down and side to side flexibility.

IMG_0792.JPG

In the coming days I'll show how this works out but in the meantime I intend to show the interim work for better or worse because once done it will be difficult to reproduce.

IMG_0793.JPG

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
No one minds that people post on other forums, it's participation that matters, and that you do very well.

The Gallery is only for models that have a build thread on this forum, so you do have models that fit the bill. ;)

Blackadder

Thanks for the reply, I'll have to load my ship model work into the computer

Neck Articulation:

This was so much easier than the engineering gymnastics I had to go thru with the Warlord articulation. After stripping down the head to the basic neck components all it required was drilling four holes and threading them with a 6-32 tap. I countersunk the outer holes for flat headed screws.

IMG_0798.JPG

I then made a collar for the neck to slide into and mounted it into the middle deck forward bulkhead. Not glued because I want to be able to disassemble the model for painting and upgrading. Everything is as close a tolerance press fit as I can make it.

IMG_0802.JPG

Centering the neck in the outer ring I secured the screws.

IMG_0800.JPG

So after all that work I got about a 15 to 20° downward tilt to the neck.

IMG_0801.JPG

Sliding the assembly together gives an idea of what the finished model will be able to do by way of articulation.

IMG_0804.JPG

IMG_0803.JPG

After reassembling the head I'll be able to see how much more downward angle I can add if needs be.

Blackadder

Hate Mail:

I'm gonna get a lot of hate mail because this damned thing works perfectly and no one is more surprised than I am.

IMG_0805.JPG

The range of motion is still rather limited but after I get the breast plate detail completed I can increase the range up/down and side to side by I'm guessing at least double.

IMG_0806.JPG

I'm hoping to reassemble the head today so I can test out the balcony clearance.

IMG_0808.JPG

It's really fun to sequence these thru my image viewer. Ha!

IMG_0809.JPG

IMG_0810.JPG

This mechanism is actually a two axis gimbal.

gimbal-2.gif

Blackadder

Amendment:

Because of my fixation on having a railed promenade for my Tech Priests I mounted the head higher than the You tube Video Imperator.

IMG_0811.JPG

Since my version has a dynamic structure I feel the snaky conduits are out of place and the chin armour is too close to the deck.

IMG_0812.JPG

There is no need for the cramped claustrophobic appearance when all the space above is free to interpretation.

IMG_0814.JPG
]

Of course I may just have added another 5 centimeters to the overall height.

Blackadder

A Yard Stick Won't Be Enough:

I'm beginning to think that even a meter is too conservative an estimate for the height of this behemoth.

IMG_0818.JPG

The yardstick as presented indicate the 27 inches tall my Warlord stands.

IMG_0819.JPG

The Triangular shoulders represent the width of the platform the cathedral superstructure sits on so even with out the legs the yardstick comes up short.

IMG_0820.JPG

The closeup of the passage to the Cockpit from the command deck.

IMG_0821.JPG

Looking down at the upper reactor room

IMG_0823.JPG

And a bird's eye view of the titan as it is today.

IMG_0824.JPG

Blackadder

Thanks,

Cities of Death Bitz:

When I first started this project I stated I would be relying heavily of Prefab Bitz so as to make this model more accessible to would-be modelers. I fully expected readers to be able to make their own Emperor Titans following my examples. Certainly there are no big secrets revealed in this construction

The problem I see in most Emperor Titans that employ bitz is a lack of imagination. You cannot use the pieces directly out of the box. Witness below.....

IMG_0828.JPG

The flying buttresses as they come out of the box have little application to speak of in this area of the Titan but with a bit of judicious cutting and filing they find purpose.

IMG_0825.JPG

Likewise the area below the 'head' calls for a processional egress onto the balcony/podium/pulpit.

IMG_0827.JPG

Of course this is all subject to interpretation, You might have reservations about a huge vulnerable door in the front of the chest, I do myself but nothing is etched in stone and I may change my mind in the future but something is better than nothing so I'm going for it at this moment.

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
The pace that you are moving at is awesome!! I like that you show the drawings you are working from. This is definitely going to be one of the most (if not "the most") outstanding models of it's kind. :)

Blackadder

Ha and I just slowed down, plumb out of ideas...........

A Week Vacation:

Doldrums, I could not think. I knew what I wanted to do but the process eluded me.

This morning I came up with a solution but it was my original thoughts, I just needed to hunker down and do it.

IMG_0837.JPG

so first I needed the rear housings,pretty straight forward just a rectangle with a 45° chamfer.

IMG_0838.JPG

I need to make the housings removable so the interior detail can be added later.

IMG_0839.JPG

The model will have a wrap around balcony below the head so doors on either side for access to the weapons observation deck is needed.

IMG_0843.JPG

All this is subject to change as the model evolves

IMG_0840.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0841.JPG
    IMG_0841.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Blackadder

Hopelessly Outclassed

I'm Afraid my Warlord will be hopelessly outclassed by this new addition to my Titan Stable which I project to be half again taller than the Warlord. About 40 inches tall or one Meter if you are into an inhumane system of measurment. :D

IMG_0844.JPG

My new Workshop arrangement is better able to display my creations as I build which makes for a more inspiring atmosphere.

Spur me along as it were.

IMG_0845.JPG

Sitting at the computer having these two staring down at me is a bit disconcerting. Almost accusatory in their gaze seeming to say, Get busy and finish this up.

IMG_0847.JPG

Blackadder

The Razors Edge:

I'm trying to walk the tightrope between the two most interesting Emperors I've yet seen taking bitz and bits from each and incorporating in my model.

I've already departed from both in giving my 'head' a lot more play than either and it comes down to how tall this beastie will be.

On either side of the head are two balconies that I feel give purpose to the garish ornamentation yet still retains the Gothic flavor. True to my word I am attempting to make the build and ornaments as easy as possible so those so inclined may follow along building their own Emperor Titan.

7.jpg

We'll see how successful I am with these compromises.

Last edited:

Blackadder

Side Galleries:

On either side of the 'Head' there are these side galleries. I'm a bit disappointed in these but I shall probably leave them as they are because I'm tempted to put dual guns or lasers in the windows instead of my initial idea of stained glass.

1.jpg

Once these galleries are surrounded by other detail, they'll blend in better.

2.jpg

Still to come on these galleries are the ball turret gun mounts and lots of skulls and stylized eagles, but for now they will remain removable to ease amenability.

3.jpg

The above image probably mimics the drawing best and I feel my solution to what is under the 'head' is better that the nondescript python-like cable conduits in the video I assume just put there to fill the void.

4.jpg

Again a couple of Space Marines for scale.

And a high angle and side view shot to round out last evenings work.

5.jpg

Note the serendipity of the curved corbels which allow the head to swing side to side without interference by the galleries. Purely accidental I assure you as I'm not sure that the Emperor titans have that capability.

6.jpg

As with the Thunderhawk, once I began to personalize this construct I've begun to warm to it's intrinsic majesty and ignore the obvious impracticality of the monstrosity.

Rather than keeping my readers in the dark about what I am describing I included links which I shall remove once the image generator has been restored/repaired or I can forgo posting.

Last edited: