Blackadder's Imperator Titan Build

Blackadder

Rough Shaping:

Final rough shaping involves truing up the block to 90° then cutting a 45° bevel each side and finally two 22.5° bevels each side on top and sides.

IMG_0466.JPG

Next (and this is the tricky part because it takes a bit of an eye for roundness) sanding off the excess in a controlled arc movement on the sanding belt.

IMG_0467.JPG
IMG_0468.JPG IMG_0469.JPG

IMG_0470.JPG

so the helmet has a slightly flattened ovoid shape in cross section.

Blackadder

Basic Helmet and Head

Well it took far more time than I thought but I do finally have the basic helmet cut to size.

IMG_0471.JPG

IMG_0472.JPG

IMG_0474.JPG

IMG_0473.JPG

The rear view shows how much I cut out of the interior so I can add the under helmet detail when the cockpit is complete. I may still remove a lot of the inside material but for now it's sufficient as the helmet is as fragile as an eggshell with out it's interior framing.

1435251931188.png

BTW you may have noticed the background image. This is what I am hoping the finished Titan will look like but leaner and longer legs.

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
If that is your goal, WOW!!! :surprise::surprise::surprise:
I am really looking forward to seeing how this will turn out!!!

Blackadder

Suffice it to say I am not happy how this helmet is turning out so I am revamping it. Update coming soon.

Meanwhile:

I naturally assumed my Warlord crew would fit into an Imperator head but never really checked so while I'm waiting to complete the face shield I just tried them for size.....

There's plenty of room; even for a Princep and a few attendees And a cadre of Tech Priests as well.

IMG_0478.JPG

IMG_0479.JPG

Last edited:

Blackadder

Now It Can Be Told:

Now that I have resolved the issue I can reveal why I had to revamp the helmet. It all boiled down to an assumption on my part that the artist drawing the two elevations of the head was a draughtsman. In a proper draught you project lines from one plane to another and ideally there should be a top elevation as well but I accepted the two elevations as sufficient for my 3D rendering. I built my model slightly oversized than the plan as I wanted the 'head' to be larger than my Warlord's head as the finished model will be 10 to 12 inches taller than my Warlord. I blissfully used the side elevation for all my calculations and after laminating all the layers proceeded to sand the contours of the helmet but after the rough sanding was completed I found the helmet dome was significantly flattened.

8vAqAXM.jpg

It did not have the look of the front elevation at all. Needless to say I was extremely disappointed as I had based my interior design and mechanism on the front projection......

IMG_0492.JPG

Rather than scrap the helmet and start afresh I opted to build on the original to increase the height of the dome which is seen in these to images. It was last night that I managed to glue in the compound curved pieces requisite to obtain a smooth contour; the final pieces to be installed later this morning.

IMG_0493.JPG

So with this setback resolved I can continue with the building of the head; my obsessive compulsive integrity intact.

Blackadder

Thanks,

A Cure for a Rainy Day:

After a rough rounding sanding I scored the armour panel lines. First with my utility knife. Then with razor saw and finally with xacto keyhole saw blade
x-acto-x215-5pc-no-15-keyhole-saw-2016-main_519x340.jpg

to widen the gaps between the armour

IMG_0494.JPG

Now the helmet is ready for wet sanding which will hopefully remove the striation lines.

IMG_0495.JPG

IMG_0496.JPG

Now we're back to making the visor.

Blackadder

Crest:

The crest seemed a daunting task but after the helmet it was child's play. I began by laminating six layers of 0.030 thousandths styrene last night because 1/4 inch styrene is too expensive and to hard to work with plus 0.030 is what I had on hand.

I then scribed two lines and equa-spaced the drill points with my vernier calipers.

I used my #11 Xacto blade to deepen the drill points and hand drilled 1/16" pilot holes for the scallops.

IMG_0514.JPG

Then I drilled 1/8 inch holes to center the 1/4 inch final holes for the scallops.

IMG_0515.JPG

After drilling the 1/4 inch holes I cut off the excess material and sanded to the appropriate half hole depth.

IMG_0516.JPG

Blackadder

Thanks for the reply,

Spear Heads:

Spear Head ornaments are tedious but worth the effort. There are probably easier ways to make them but I want mine to have a 3D bas-relief so I made mine out of 0.040 thousandths styrene. Below we see one in place on the helmet and the rest in various states of manufacture. When doing something like this I always make a few extra so I don't have to start from scratch. You never know when you might need a spare.
Start by making an undersized template (marked 'T'), trace the points on a piece of scrap styrene, cut them out with scissors (yeah it's that simple,) Drill your pilot holes, Cut the corner holes with your; surgical diagonal cutters, Fingernail cutters, Dikes, what-have-you, use your rat tail needle files to make the spade base compare you work to the finished and make the proper adjustments with you, curved nail file and you're done.

IMG_0530.JPG

Now do it twelve more times or more........

IMG_0529.JPG

See you tomorrow.

Blackadder

Bada ba ba baaaa I'm Lovin' It:

Funny how these ungainly projects grow on ya. At first I was mildly interested in this project. A lot of people requested I give it a go so for the past few years I accumulated various plastic bitz that looked like they might go on a quicky Imperial Titan that anyone sufficiently motivated could build. I still have baskets of the junk; bottlecaps recyclable containers and the like and I finally solved the pelvis dilemma but until I saw the head for lack of a better term I had little enthusiasm feeling that I had reached the pinnacle of Titan manufacture in my Warlord.

IMG_0533.JPG

Now I am in a quandary because this Titan will eclipse my previous effort but Damn I am getting really fond of this beastie.

IMG_0534.JPG

The front view shows up on the image more so than in person that the spearhead gusset on the right side is longer than that corresponding one on the left. that will have to be fixed but overall I am pleased with the outcome. I made my darts a tad larger than that in the computer image as I couldn't translate the drawing into an actual model. But it seems close enough and even as I write this I get the depression of compromise.

IMG_0536.JPG

But no; that way madness lies.

and it's still two hours to Martini Time... Dang!

Rhaven Blaack

Staff member
Administrator
This is really coming together and taking shape very nicely.

Blackadder

Just became aware of your gallery. Amazing paperwork and did you do the inking yourself? Beautiful.......

The Perfection of Asymmetry:

When you look at the Darth mask you are thrilled with the evilness of the visage but split the image and reverse it mirror image wise and you will see the resulting perfect symmetry of either the left or right is not nearly as disturbing. We are all different people when we see ourselves in a photograph. With the magic of the computer we can splice together the left and right images of our face and see two entirely different people neither recognizable as ourselves.

IMG_0539.JPG

That is where I am with this visor. That and the printout I made is too small. The 0.030" plastic cutout I made directly below the helmet assembly seems to be of the correct size.

Also the visor wraps around the helmet so the front view is foreshortened therefor I must allow for that by adding what i estimate a quarter inch (6,3 MM) to each side........

Fun and games, Right?

Blackadder

Facial Planes:

We're going to experiment with this visor as I don't have an overhead projection so I made the angle gussets flexible until I see how the 'face shapes up.

IMG_0541.JPG

That way I can make the minimal adjustments required for an approximation of the artist's intent.

IMG_0540.JPG

Note the strips in the foreground. The one with the heavy pencil line glues to the inner surface of the visor. It is slightly scored so it acts as a hinged gusset. It can sustain a minimum of flexing before fatiguing the same as the visor plate. Once I am satisfied with the position of the visor planes I'll reinforce the the back side of the visor to hold the shape.

Blackadder

Raising the Ears:

When I was a kid going to the barber was called, "having your ears lowered." Well in this case the operative word is raised. and bring the ears forward and shorten the helmet.

BTW after having been to the barber, you had "White walls."

IMG_0547.JPG

Anyway this side view projection shows I need to cut the helmet a minimum of 6 MM (one quarter inch) on each side and shorten the length almost half an inch (13,0 MM) which necessitates re-positioning the spear points.

IMG_0546.JPG

Or I may just go with three after the one in the forehead.

IMG_0546.JPG

The close up also doesn't do it for me; Fah!

IMG_0545.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0543.JPG
    IMG_0543.JPG
    564.8 KB · Views: 1

Rhaven Blaack

Staff member
Administrator
Even Though, it may not match the picture, it still looks good!

I am glad that you like my gallery. It has (most) every model that I have built.

Blackadder

Family Portrait:

Who's your Daddy? I accomplished a whirlwind revamp of the Command Deck aka the 'Head' shortening the rear overhang (Wait, he is talking about the head of this beastie not the loo???) but I did leave the cock's comb alone. (he is talking about the loo!)

Seen here along side my Warlord to give a proper scale.

IMG_0550.JPG

And a closeup.

IMG_0552.JPG

More images to come............

Blackadder

Whoops:

Seems I may have miscalculated on the size of the Titan. That face is huge compared to the Warlord. Of course I had planned upwards of 36 inches ( 0.9144 meters )but I had hoped to keep it under 33 inches (0.8382 meters ) just so it didn't relegate my Warlord to a minor player. This may not be the case now.

IMG_0559.JPG

The front view in my estimation is spot on and I shall proceed with the styrene version and make the cutouts on the basic structure. Once I am satisfied with the overall size relationship of the various parts of the 'face' I'll make the details.

IMG_0560.JPG

The side view doesn't look quite right as there is too much forward projection with the cardboard template. When rendered in styrene wot the extra cheek plates added all will line up as it is supposed to......
At least that is my expectation.