Bantha II cargo skiff from Star Wars: Return of the Jedi (Scratch build)

ennder

For a long time I have been wanting the Skiff from ROTJ. So I went looking for a model. I could not find one, but found lots of pictures I could use to build one. So working with a few as a base, here is my build. I used the top view for the floor. I then added ribs to the bottom to get the contour I wanted. I then skinned it. Texture is not easy for me. I then layered the floor tiles and added the island. The Skiff is 31'-2", the model is 10". so that makes the scale approximately 1/37

20180909_135751.jpg 20180910_200736.jpg 20180911_180146.jpg 20180916_222316.jpg 20180916_222437.jpg 20180916_223414.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Sky Seeker

Well Established Member
For a long time I have been wanting the Skiff from ROTJ. So I went looking for a model. I could not find one, but found lots of pictures I could use to build one. So working with a few as a base, here is my build. I used the top view for the floor. I then added ribs to the bottom to get the contour I wanted. I then skinned it. Texture is not easy for me. I then layered the floor tiles and added the island. The Skiff is 31'-2", the model is 10". so that makes the scale approximately 1/37

Love the build! :)
I say you're doing pretty good with the textures. That rusted bottom portion looks pretty realistic. Although I wonder how things rust in a desert environment...;)

Sky Seeker
:tank:

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
That texture is awesome, as is the piece itself!! :)

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
@ennder, this is awesome! I had no idea that the ship was called this way. To me it was always the Desert Skiff. Geez, and you make it in about 1/37... :drinksmile:

So here's a question to @ASC Mclaren : What would be the approximate scale when you print it at 200 %? ;)

That would look excellent beside Hasbro's upcoming Sail Barge. Remember, the Kenner Skiffs are too small for 1/18. This one could indeed fill a gap. :cool:

P.S.: I have edited your post and inserted the images as "full images" so that the fans don't have to click on the thumbnails all the time to see them; I hope you don't mind. :)

ennder

Thanks all :) I didn't think about increasing the scale to match the Kenner figures until today... maybe next rendition. I will be able to find the trouble spots with this build and maybe I won't have as much trouble next time.

Thanks for increasing the image size RF thumbsup

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
My eyes glanced over the deck pics thumbnails, so I now must double my accolades, you are really off to a fantastic start!! :)

ASC Mclaren

Thanks all :) I didn't think about increasing the scale to match the Kenner figures until today... maybe next rendition. I will be able to find the trouble spots with this build and maybe I won't have as much trouble next time.

Thanks for increasing the image size RF thumbsup
The first thing to consider when planning a build is how to make the model 1:18, just sayin'

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
This is really looking good! For a scratch build, you are doing a GREAT JOB!

ennder

I got some more done. I built a frame work for the nose, then glued the card stock on, then trimmed the card stock to fit.
To me, this was easier then trying to draw the part, cut it, then praying it fit. I did this all in that horrible orange rust texture.
I was able to make a much better texture, so I overlaid both the nose and the bottom. I also finished and installed the handrails.
20180921_213446.jpg 20180921_213502.jpg 20180923_211035.jpg 20180928_120749.jpg 20180928_120803.jpg 20180928_162314.jpg

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
I wish there was abetter click than "Like", the nose framework is most impressive. You really are building a superb model, from the inside out!! :)

ennder

Thanks everyone. I got to find or make some weaker clamps. When I clamped the texture to the nose frame the closing force
of the clothespins was to much for the glue soaked cardboard to handle, and it bent in several places. I was able to fix it, but I had to
go and get some CA glue to do it with. I'm allergic to CA glue. The fumes make my skin break out and itch.
I do have a very good respirator that I wear when I use chemicals, so no breathing problems from the CA glue.

Papa Mashy

Masher of paper
Looks amazing. All scratch built from pictures too.
The level of ability on display here shows that you do yourself a disservice saying you are not good with textures!
Bravo. Claphands

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Please be careful with CA glue, the effects are accumulative. The model looks fantastic. You can make your own clamps using clothes pins and small wood screw. Instead of spring tensionm you screw the clamps to the tightness you desire, just like carpenter clamps. Base your design off of the picture below. ;)

clamps.jpg

Sky Seeker

Well Established Member
I got some more done. I built a frame work for the nose, then glued the card stock on, then trimmed the card stock to fit.
To me, this was easier then trying to draw the part, cut it, then praying it fit. I did this all in that horrible orange rust texture.
I was able to make a much better texture, so I overlaid both the nose and the bottom. I also finished and installed the handrails.
View attachment 167525 View attachment 167526 View attachment 167527 View attachment 167528 View attachment 167529 View attachment 167530

Incredible! :surprise::surprise::surprise::surprise: This is MOST impressive!!:Drinks:

Sky Seeker
:tank: