Baneblade build

Floogen

Hello all!

I've just started building the Baneblade model that is Eli Patoroch,s design. I was really impressed with Silveroxide's build and wanted to try my hand at it. I'm a slow builder, so I will post progress pics as and when I can squeeze in some build time :) Comments, advice are most welcome!

20181115_104223.jpg

Floogen

OK here are the first few pictures of the chassis build. It's heavily laminated so as to withstand handling, and I use foamboard to help stiffen the structure.
Next up is the engine compartment. Even though its more work, I decided to cut out the grills as I think they look better that just being printed on.
I also modified the hinges, as I found the original hinges looked too flat, and I wanted it to look more realistic. I cut up strips of paper, and rolled them up, then squeezing both sides of the roll with my fingers to get that 'hump' shape of the grills.

20181103_234221.jpg 20181109_204423.jpg 20181109_204913.jpg 20181109_220154.jpg 20181109_232917.jpg 20181109_232934.jpg 20181110_205847.jpg 20181110_215219.jpg 20181111_101946.jpg 20181111_101840.jpg

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Robust and strong looking model. You're off to a good start

Gandolf50

Researcher of obscure between war vehicles...
Staff member
For the other engine cover, it had a lot of grills over it (part 17 in the picture), so I decided to cut the whole rectangle out, and glue in individual grills, and used the same method of hinges above for the cover

Looking GOOD!
Note on grills...I found that it is a bit better, and perhaps a bit easier to cut and burnish the grills on just about anything ( of course I can hardly hold anything so that may be why I prefer it!) I refer you to how I does it...

MY GRILLS

also a note on using a book punch... if you punch out multiple "rivets" they tend to get smashed together! Then when you apply them you sometimes get 2 smashed into one... It is when you paint that the top one falls off! Just a word of care... I saw some on the last build, I think!

Yours is looking GREAT as it is, so keep on doing what you're doing and use my suggestions when the time comes!

Floogen

Looking GOOD!
Note on grills...I found that it is a bit better, and perhaps a bit easier to cut and burnish the grills on just about anything ( of course I can hardly hold anything so that may be why I prefer it!) I refer you to how I does it...

MY GRILLS

also a note on using a book punch... if you punch out multiple "rivets" they tend to get smashed together! Then when you apply them you sometimes get 2 smashed into one... It is when you paint that the top one falls off! Just a word of care... I saw some on the last build, I think!

Yours is looking GREAT as it is, so keep on doing what you're doing and use my suggestions when the time comes!

Hi Gandalf,

Great tips! I love the way your grills look so clean - can you please help elaborate more on how you did it?
Not sure what's a book punch though...never used it...is it like a hole puncher?

Thanks!

Gandolf50

Staff member
Oh OH... I might have got 40k build mixed up! Anyway, the book punch is for punching holes..and used ( by Me and others) to make rivets! using the small ones the punch out from the holes leaves a small plug of cardstock, and that is what we use...

upload_2018-11-17_8-21-16.pngIf you look at the grill here you can kinda see that there is ONE straight cut on the EDIT> FRONT edge. I then use an old pointed cuticle tool,( you could use anything that is flat on bottom/curved on top and comes to a point, you could file a finish nail and that would work, I just happen to have the cuticle tool) to insert along the front edge and holding my straight edge along the back side slowly push and burnish the card into shape, using the metal rule all the time, from R>L.

Now I have to find that other 4ok build and look for the rivets I saw!;)

Last edited:

Floogen

Hi all, and Happy New Year to all!!

Sorry for the delay in updates - was busy with Thanskgiving, then Christmas followed by New Year :)
Also, the next stage of the build, which was the wheels and tracks, was taking a loooong time to do.
I had to do 32 roller wheels, 8 main wheels, and I made spokes for each of those wheels....you get the idea LOL
Here are the pics of my progress so far...

20181117_115054.jpg 20181117_154457.jpg

The engine exhaust was made from rolled up paper and wire.

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
The tracks looks excellent. Your patience is paying off. You model looks very square and true to form. Great!! ;)

Last edited:

Sudsy

Monotony done right leads to incredible results!

When you are gluing those parts, and you need a break, check out the artwork of a guy by the name of Virgil Finlay. He created the most incredible ink drawings by placing black dots. Tediously, by dipping his brush, and placing them one at a time... Inspiration to us all when we build the 100 of the same piece...

Gandolf50

Staff member
Here are the wheels that sucked up so much of my time ...urrgh....

They were made of card rolled up to the right diameter. The spokes were made of laminated card cut to the right length.

Excellent! Glad to see someone ROLL up there parts instead of trying to create a tube by rolling a single swatch of cardstock... You didn't say it... but I would suggest a quick squirt of CV glue around the edges to seal them up tight! Nice job on the exhaust wire and rolled is the way to go!! Kudos!

Monotony done right leads to incredible results!

When you are gluing those parts, and you need a break, check out the artwork of a guy by the name of Virgil Finlay. He created the most incredible ink drawings by placing black dots. Tediously, by dipping his brush, and placing them one at a time... Inspiration to us all when we build the 100 of the same piece...

I love Virgil Finlay, and he actually used a pen nib which is way more difficult as those nibs will flick ink all over if your not careful, I used to do this same technique all the time but was lucky as I had technical pens to work with!

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
I wonder what Virgil Finlay's nightmares were like. :)