- Aug 8, 2013
Looking GOOD!For the other engine cover, it had a lot of grills over it (part 17 in the picture), so I decided to cut the whole rectangle out, and glue in individual grills, and used the same method of hinges above for the cover
Note on grills...I found that it is a bit better, and perhaps a bit easier to cut and burnish the grills on just about anything ( of course I can hardly hold anything so that may be why I prefer it!) I refer you to how I does it...
also a note on using a book punch... if you punch out multiple "rivets" they tend to get smashed together! Then when you apply them you sometimes get 2 smashed into one... It is when you paint that the top one falls off! Just a word of care... I saw some on the last build, I think!
Yours is looking GREAT as it is, so keep on doing what you're doing and use my suggestions when the time comes!
Excellent! Glad to see someone ROLL up there parts instead of trying to create a tube by rolling a single swatch of cardstock... You didn't say it... but I would suggest a quick squirt of CV glue around the edges to seal them up tight! Nice job on the exhaust wire and rolled is the way to go!! Kudos!Here are the wheels that sucked up so much of my time ...urrgh....
They were made of card rolled up to the right diameter. The spokes were made of laminated card cut to the right length.
I love Virgil Finlay, and he actually used a pen nib which is way more difficult as those nibs will flick ink all over if your not careful, I used to do this same technique all the time but was lucky as I had technical pens to work with!Monotony done right leads to incredible results!
When you are gluing those parts, and you need a break, check out the artwork of a guy by the name of Virgil Finlay. He created the most incredible ink drawings by placing black dots. Tediously, by dipping his brush, and placing them one at a time... Inspiration to us all when we build the 100 of the same piece...