Back after a long time.

cecilmeyer

Hello
I am returning to model building after a long break. I did not know how much I missed it! I guess I am a builder at heart as I am just itching to build things again. I am now retired so have plenty of time doing a hobby I love. Question for you guys. I used to have a few models from U2ho2 I believe his name was. I have the old password but I do not see a sign in or library to download his incredible models. I have seen many of is models for sale online so I am assuming people have stolen his patterns and are trying to sell them. I really wanted to build his 2001 collection. I hope the guy is doing well and made some money for his effort and his incredible talent. Is he still building models and is there anyway to buy his work directly from him? I do not wish to steal anything from him and any info would help . One final thing is there a section on what paper or thick card stock that you guys think is best to use? I just bought a new printer and am wanting to use it for modeling! Thank you!

micahrogers

Moderator "Where am I, and how did I get here?"
Staff member
Welcome Aboard. Glad to have you back in the hobby. Uhu02 got tired of his work being pirated, and closed his archive. A lot of his works are indeed here in our resources section, and we have many great build threads of his models. Take a few minutes and look over the rules of the forum, https://www.zealot.com/threads/zealot-forum-rules-and-policies.174452/

And once again, Welcome aboard

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Hello Cecil,

Welcome back! It is always a wonderful pleasure having old members return.

I am certain that there have been quite a few changes made since you were here last. So if you have any questions, concerns, need help or advice, please feel free to ask and we will do what we can to help you.

You will find UHU02's 2001 collection is in the resource section.

Once again, welcome back. I hope that you enjoy yourself here and I look forward to seeing your work!

cecilmeyer

Hello Cecil,

Welcome back! It is always a wonderful pleasure having old members return.

I am certain that there have been quite a few changes made since you were here last. So if you have any questions, concerns, need help or advice, please feel free to ask and we will do what we can to help you.

You will find UHU02's 2001 collection is in the resource section.

Once again, welcome back. I hope that you enjoy yourself here and I look forward to seeing your work!
Thanks a lot I really appreciate it!

cecilmeyer

Thanks a lot I really appreciate it!
The questions I have about what kind of paper to use ,best glue and knife ,I used an xacto before should be posted in what section? I built maybe 4 or 5 paper models. I mostly built plastic ones but I think I am heading toward paper more. More convenient,less toxic and if I screw it up I can print another piece! I think I am going to do the 2001 space station and I am going to illuminate it with LED's. So I am thinking I should use thick card stock and maybe paint the inside with black paint or even use tinfoil. Using LED's I do not think heat build up should be an issue. Any opinions on that guys?

Awry_Chaos

OKB-4155
The questions I have about what kind of paper to use ,best glue and knife ,I used an xacto before should be posted in what section? I built maybe 4 or 5 paper models. I mostly built plastic ones but I think I am heading toward paper more. More convenient,less toxic and if I screw it up I can print another piece! I think I am going to do the 2001 space station and I am going to illuminate it with LED's. So I am thinking I should use thick card stock and maybe paint the inside with black paint or even use tinfoil. Using LED's I do not think heat build up should be an issue. Any opinions on that guys?
Here, take a look at this thread:

It's @Cybergrinder 's model build thread and he's doing some cool things with LEDs.

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
I use Aleen's Tacky glue and X-Acto #11 blades. 110 lbs cardstock is my favorite go-to paper (which can be found at any print shop or department store).

I look forward to seeing your work!!!

cecilmeyer

I use Aleen's Tacky glue and X-Acto #11 blades. 110 lbs cardstock is my favorite go-to paper (which can be found at any print shop or department store).

I look forward to seeing your work!!!
Just called the office max closing too soon today but Im headed up there tomorrow said they carry the 110 stock. I am thinking the station will need extra support so Ill just re-enforce the interior. Do you find the 110 the easiest to work with? I was wondering if I should go thicker or is is too hard too work with or too hard on the pinter? I have a HP envy 7855 will that be good enough?

Kolokolnikov

For me, when building uhu02 models, UPM Color Fine 190 gr paper is ideal. It has a thickness of 0.19-0.22mm, it is suitable for laser printing, and it molds very well. This paper is very similar to the paper used by publishers.

II use Apel D3 PVA glue, it is very high quality, transparent, and very fast drying glue. I also use cyanoacrylate adhesives in liquid and gel form.

It is better to use X-Acro or Olfa knives. I also advise you to search McGill - Paper blossoms tool kit. I use 1 mm for a perfect straight folding lines, all other diameters for forming rounded parts.

Kolokolnikov

There is a cheaper alternative to McGill tools, this is the nail stylist tool. They paint patterns on the nails. But they are not so comfortable in use if you do a lot of folding lines, and tip diameters only up to 2 mm.

IMG_20210124_104915.jpg

cecilmeyer

For me, when building uhu02 models, UPM Color Fine 190 gr paper is ideal. It has a thickness of 0.19-0.22mm, it is suitable for laser printing, and it molds very well. This paper is very similar to the paper used by publishers.

II use Apel D3 PVA glue, it is very high quality, transparent, and very fast drying glue. I also use cyanoacrylate adhesives in liquid and gel form.

It is better to use X-Acro or Olfa knives. I also advise you to search McGill - Paper blossoms tool kit. I use 1 mm for a perfect straight folding lines, all other diameters for forming rounded parts.
Thanks !!!

Kolokolnikov

Another tip, I use a whiteboard sponge and a tube to shape the cylindrical parts. You just need to roll the part on a soft sponge.
I also recommend finding leather punches. For super small diameters are suitable: reusable medical needles and metal tubes from broken RC helicopters

Kolokolnikov

Any opinion on a kit like this? Is it okay to post the link to it? If not I will take it down
It is the ideal kit for forming complex parts. Only I'm not sure about black tools, they look like plastic ones and won't work as they should. I have the ones with the blue handle. And wooden tools are very similar to nail stylists tools.

mijob

Tie designer
Staff member
Welcome aboard to zealot Cecil, I think you gone enjoy it here.
Please share pictures of your models we love pictures.

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hello and welcome to Zealot! :)
Wowowow, this introduction is turning into a tips and tutorials thread! :animated:

I live in Germany and use 160 gsm paper. For me it is the best combination of thickness and rigidity. One tip I can give you is to use paper which follows an archival standard and keeps the colours vivid for a long time, otherwise the model will look strange after a few years. ;)

Have fun and enjoy! :)

RF