B5 - Project Centauri Vorchan

Gandolf50

Researcher of obscure between war vehicles...
Staff member
Jan 28, 2013
New Mexico USA
Gandolf,

I love how you expanded the pieces. For construction purposes can we have the center section as one piece and have the other pieces built around it? Pieces such as the nacelles could probably be added on separately for ease of construction. Additionally, can the center section extend within the horizontal wing portion almost to the rear engines to reinforce the model?

View attachment 154539
Horizontal wing portions could have marks for the strut / separators
View attachment 154540
The red marks on the struts indicate construction areas for cutting to fit over the horizontal wing.
View attachment 154542

Also, can we eliminate these back portions? The Vorchan in the show seems to be flush at the rear of the vertical stabilizers.
View attachment 154543

Just a couple suggestions. I hope you don't mind. I've been looking at the Vorchan for some time now trying to figure out how to do this by hand . Thanks for all your work on this Gandolf it is much appreciated.

Sky Seeker
:tank:
OK your starting to throw words at me like Nacellas ...Guess what ...I never even saw the show..I believe I was out of the country during that time,,,;) My Uncle needed some work done.

anyway.... start with the last..that black piece needs to be there as it backs up and adds structure to the vertical wing ..on the Front!
Vorc-1.jpg

exploding I must have stuck it in the back to get it out of the way so I could get at the piece you see above...

also the wings are tapered to the rear ....
Vorc-2.jpg so that is done ...though it would be a lot easier to build if they were not!!

adding structural elements can be done just about anywhere..as long as it is well thought out to begin with...
( dropped a wall on the back of the " nacelles " area...and there is no problem adding an extension if needed.... )

Vorc-3.jpg
at the time ..I am more concerned with the front, horizontal and vertical wings and getting them flattened for paper...as they are the most organic structures...everything else is a box or a tube!:Coffee:

Sky Seeker

Well Established Member
Jun 1, 2015
OK your starting to throw words at me like Nacellas ...Guess what ...I never even saw the show..I believe I was out of the country during that time,,,;) My Uncle needed some work done.

anyway.... start with the last..that black piece needs to be there as it backs up and adds structure to the vertical wing ..on the Front!
View attachment 154557

exploding I must have stuck it in the back to get it out of the way so I could get at the piece you see above...

also the wings are tapered to the rear ....
View attachment 154558 so that is done ...though it would be a lot easier to build if they were not!!

adding structural elements can be done just about anywhere..as long as it is well thought out to begin with...
( dropped a wall on the back of the " nacelles " area...and there is no problem adding an extension if needed.... )

View attachment 154559
at the time ..I am more concerned with the front, horizontal and vertical wings and getting them flattened for paper...as they are the most organic structures...everything else is a box or a tube!:Coffee:

Yep ..You're pretty much right there everything is pretty much a box or tube. Main construction is the horizontal wings which form a pita pocket (like a pita gyro sandwich) with the vertical stabilizers above and below. Main fuselage extending out from the "pita pocket" having the various bits surrounding it. The main fuselage may (for construction purposes) have a mini rectangular box that extends forward into the front nose to reinforce the nose. Of course the pita pocket has those mini boxes along the forward edge holding the guns.

Like the forward section that you've done with the vertical stabilizer. That will look sharp!

Sky Seeker

Last edited:

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Jun 12, 2009
Oregon
www.deviantart.com
I have never seen B-5. So I really know nothing about the serious. I have done a small amount of research on the internet, but I have not been able to really get into it.
With that being said, this is an interesting ship. You are doing a great job in designing it.
I am looking forward to seeing the model built.

Reactions: Sky Seeker

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Just for the record, this dealing with copyrighted material, not patents. Since none of us are lawyers in that field (as far as I know), and they all Ilawyers0 differ in opinions, it's not worth getting into. The website said, give some credit, and that was enough. However, you are making a paper model, using their mesh as reference, not using their actual CG model model in a scene, so in reality, just how much credit do it questionable, as there are many sources for this stuff. How do you think they created their mesh? Research! :)

Sky Seeker

Well Established Member
Jun 1, 2015
I have never seen B-5. So I really know nothing about the serious. I have done a small amount of research on the internet, but I have not been able to really get into it.
With that being said, this is an interesting ship. You are doing a great job in designing it.
I am looking forward to seeing the model built.

Rhaven,

If you have an opportunity to watch it start at season 2 that's when things start to really pick up. Seasons 2-4 are really GREAT. The battles in Season 2 - Narn Centauri war and Season 4 - Shadow war are particularly EPIC. Season 1 is the set up for everything that goes on in season 2-4 and season 5 ties up some "loose ends". While I'm doing some models, I re-watch some of the dvds from the series to get some more ideas.

Sky Seeker

Reactions: Rhaven Blaack

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Jun 12, 2009
Oregon
www.deviantart.com
I recently downloaded the entire B-5 series. So I will be watching soon (with my fiance).
I did the same thing when I was building the Thunder Fighter (from Buck Roger) so that I could get all of the detail that I wanted.

Gandolf50

Staff member
Jan 28, 2013
New Mexico USA
Spent a little time on the bits today...shuffled various bits onto their own layers to eliminate all the clutter...then after working and trying to export the mesh for pep...discovered the export addon will only deal with triangles...so all the work I did was basically wasted... till figure out an alternate to unfolding..will keep on plugging away...

Vorc-4.jpg
Even with triangles this is ok..in pep..have a little trouble dealing with the rolled fold on the ess-curve and side opening...but that can be sliced and built-up... pep..still will devestate the mesh so that will have to spend 90% of the time fixing the unfolds!!

Sky Seeker

Well Established Member
Jun 1, 2015
Spent a little time on the bits today...shuffled various bits onto their own layers to eliminate all the clutter...then after working and trying to export the mesh for pep...discovered the export addon will only deal with triangles...so all the work I did was basically wasted... till figure out an alternate to unfolding..will keep on plugging away...

View attachment 154614
Even with triangles this is ok..in pep..have a little trouble dealing with the rolled fold on the ess-curve and side opening...but that can be sliced and built-up... pep..still will devestate the mesh so that will have to spend 90% of the time fixing the unfolds!!

I think that this will be one of the most difficult portions of the model. Maybe one of the keys to this will be found after a test build of the first model is done. This is certainly better than my initial thought on how to attack the "nose problem" which was having folded side portions that would have two compound fold one at the top and the other at the bottom.

Sky Seeker

Sky Seeker

Well Established Member
Jun 1, 2015
Happy Halloween everyone!:Bat:exterminate::hastalavista::flag::frak::Grin::surprise::wink::triplets::smoker::robot1::Bat:ass-kicking:

Gandolf50

Staff member
Jan 28, 2013
New Mexico USA
Well I wanted to see what could be done with just this section as you said..it is the most difficult with the double ess-curve..still have the multi-chunks of inner sections in just this area..and even though they might get in the way..they may lead to a better solution...as at least two of them extends into the open sections of this one so that may help in the long run....on a better note....the wings look like they will be a lot better to deal with... a simple flatten from Blender and export to .svg gave a promising start... the possible inclusion of formers would work right along with the .svg... not possible to export all from Blender as there is no real control over size/mesh/flaps or anything like there is in Pep...

Attachments

• vor_page1.svg
    129.4 KB · Views: 14

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
I would follow the panel lines and make the nose portion that way, especially the tip, which can be rounded with a steel ball, or rod with a ball shaped end. The rest of the pieces will fall into place with a bit of contouring using the same method or water forming a big.

I loath the triangles, and the fact that Pepkura can't make a circle is most annoying. ;)

Sky Seeker

Well Established Member
Jun 1, 2015
Well I wanted to see what could be done with just this section as you said..it is the most difficult with the double ess-curve..still have the multi-chunks of inner sections in just this area..and even though they might get in the way..they may lead to a better solution...as at least two of them extends into the open sections of this one so that may help in the long run....on a better note....the wings look like they will be a lot better to deal with... a simple flatten from Blender and export to .svg gave a promising start... the possible inclusion of formers would work right along with the .svg... not possible to export all from Blender as there is no real control over size/mesh/flaps or anything like there is in Pep...

Gandolf,

I believe that Spaceagent and I are having problems looking at .svg files. Is there any way you can convert it to jpeg or other viewable formats? Thanks!

Sky Seeker

Gandolf50

Staff member
Jan 28, 2013
New Mexico USA
.svg files .......right click and open with your browser! Works with Chrome or IE....!!

Where did you get an SMC file? ??? or was that a case of dyslexic typing like I suffer from and ment SVG file?:)

Yes I agree I will follow the cut lines I have already ... to the tip of the nose...and a cut around the pseudo air scoop on the side around the whole enchilada...figuring that what-ever the insides do there will always be a way to add support and glue points from there as well...build from the inside out!! I am basically looking at this as a wing and as only skin so if needs be will cut the thing into strips and go that route!!

:iagree:

I really hate triangles myself...;)

spaceagent-9

Right Hand Man and Confidant
Jul 10, 2013
pheonix
EDGE is telling me its a SMG file and wont even give me options on how to open it.
I have tried everything in IE 8 and no success, at least it admits its a .svg,
Please don't tell me to download a viewer all I get is a bunch of software I don't want or need.
Have you tried hand drawn vertical strips like those bird models have?

spaceagent-9

Jul 10, 2013
pheonix
well I tried opening it with paint.net, my system wont even recognize it. in downloads it wont identify it. o well.

Gandolf50

Staff member
Jan 28, 2013
New Mexico USA
...Strange...should be able to r mouse click and it should ask how to open that type of file..select file on computer and select your browser..and should work just fine... but since..here you go...

to much trouble for just an example of what something looks like...will but screen cap/inkscape was too small to view...

Attachments

• vor_hor-Wings.pdf
    86.9 KB · Views: 8

Gandolf50

Staff member
Jan 28, 2013
New Mexico USA
EDGE is telling me its a SMG file and wont even give me options on how to open it.
I have tried everything in IE 8 and no success, at least it admits its a .svg,
Please don't tell me to download a viewer all I get is a bunch of software I don't want or need.
Have you tried hand drawn vertical strips like those bird models have?

I'm OCD with Asperger's syndrome...I have to have a 1930's Fountain Pen a straight edge and the right ambiance to sign my name. Hand drawn vertical strips....yes...in my nightmares!

spaceagent-9

Jul 10, 2013
pheonix
I thought you would say something like that! every time I try google sketch up or metasequoia, when I save it it turns into a salvadore dali pinhead nightmare. so I got nothing. I know a snip here and snip there , helps sometimes. I really wish you the best of luck, as I admire your efforts on this ship!