AlfaRomeo 158 Alfetta skeleton

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Glue doesn't hold over paint, usually you have to scrape paint off. You do what you must, but I too tell people to stay away from cyanoacrylates as the effect on you is accumulative. This model looks excellent!! :)

ennder

I use a respirator when I need to use CA glue, due to allergies.

Next Update: wheels complete. Decided not to paint them because of tread and brand name on sidewall.
Instrument panel installed, side frame rails installed, seat made, and rear fuel tank frame work started.

The fuel mileage must suck on the real car... it has 2 small and 2 large fuel tanks.
20210520_134123.jpg20210520_134148.jpg20210521_123816.jpg20210521_123834.jpg20210521_123847.jpg20210521_123914.jpg

ennder

the paints that I used were Testors. I used: gold, Aluminium, and flat black. For most of the car I used the Aluminium paint. I used about 1/2 the bottle.
The "brown" for the steering wheel I mixed the Tan, flat black, and a little red, because the paint set I bough did not have brown. The closest I had to Brass was the gold, so I used that for the parts that were meant to be brass.

micahrogers

Moderator "Where am I, and how did I get here?"
Staff member
the paints that I used were Testors. I used: gold, Aluminium, and flat black. For most of the car I used the Aluminium paint. I used about 1/2 the bottle.
The "brown" for the steering wheel I mixed the Tan, flat black, and a little red, because the paint set I bough did not have brown. The closest I had to Brass was the gold, so I used that for the parts that were meant to be brass.
Rustoleum is discontinuing the Testors model master line, and just keeping the old tried and true 1/2 oz bottles of Testors. I switched to acrylics years ago, and am now split between AV Vallejo, and The Army Painter. Between the two, Vallejo has a wider color range, but TAP tend to be finer pigment.

ennder

the set I got were the 1/4 fl. oz. bottles. they're the type I grew up using on the plastic models I used to build. where I grew up.... we didn't have much of a choice. We either used 1/4 oz Testors ..... or house paint.

I haven't experiment with the different brands of paint to see if I like others better.

Growing up, I lived so far out in the country, it was a 60 mile round trip to the closest store that had any hobby supplies. It was to far to ride our 20" huffy. :( and our mom only went that far, maybe once a month. (If we were lucky).

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Job well done!! I do wish they would make body panels for the car. It would make for a fantastic diorama. It might not be that hard to make the panels though. You did a great job on this. It is most impressive.

I wish the designers had created a more accurate steerig mechanism for the model. It looks line a Pine Wood Derby suspension, and considering how much effort they put into the rest of the model, they should have made the wheels steer. It's not that hard to do. That has nothing to do with your build, it's a critique of the model. Based on your build, I would definitely buy this model. Your build is probably the best advertising they have for it!! Excellent build thread, excellent job building it! :)

ennder

Job well done!! I do wish they would make body panels for the car. It would make for a fantastic diorama. It might not be that hard to make the panels though. You did a great job on this. It is most impressive.

I wish the designers had created a more accurate steerig mechanism for the model. It looks line a Pine Wood Derby suspension, and considering how much effort they put into the rest of the model, they should have made the wheels steer. It's not that hard to do. That has nothing to do with your build, it's a critique of the model. Based on your build, I would definitely buy this model. Your build is probably the best advertising they have for it!! Excellent build thread, excellent job building it! :)

I agree 100% Z with both the body panels and the steering. I also agree with your critique. They do have 1 more of the "skeleton" models, but I have a few other projects to do before I tackle that one. :biggrin:

Thank you everyone for the kind responses, they are always appreciated.