ABC Mars River kit question

THE DC

Highly Esteemed Member
On this Pinterest page, if you scroll almost down to the bottom, you will see all the parts in individual .jpegs. You could easily kit-bash a 6 sided section and use magnets to hold it in place till or if you find that last upper stage. No one would know the difference, and frankly, I think you could make it look even better. There is enough there that if you are good with "Paint" you could recolor and replace the graphics to make it look like the piece you're looking for. I think that's the best you will be able to do. I've looked everywhere and don't even see the magazine for sale anywhere.

Link = https://www.pinterest.com/rforghieri/paper-model-is-serenity/

Thats a good idea.

I have the basic shape, so maybe e capturing graphics from the other models and pasting them across the forms might just work. Very good idea!

I have reached a fella who owns a copy of the original magazine but the shipping is a out $45.

Your suggestion is a lot more attractive!

Apparently ABC magazine isn't permitting old files to be sold electronically.

I like your idea and think it may be the best bet, at present. Its too bad that there's no library of these kits, as they are simple and the instructions clear, even if you don't read Czech.

The entire assembly would make a good youth project.

Thanks Zathros! If I can't find this last section, you have the best idea and my best option.

Thanks!

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
I haaven't instal Rhino in my new computer, I will be, I keep getting distracted by other things, but I could copy the shape from the picture you posted, and parametric scaling would allow me to match it to it;''s mating part. I'd have to see how the model scaled up. Do a temporary kit bash, you may find it much better than you think, and who could really tell the difference. I might be able to reproduce a line scaled drawing .jpeg of the parts with all lines that could ne painted easily enough. As the weather warms my motorcycles beckon me. I have yet to ride my Kawasaki 1200, and that monster is just waiting to be tamed! I would like to see your kit bash though, there are sections on the last link I gave you that would fit right on the spot very well. :)

THE DC

Highly Esteemed Member
I wonder if we could hope for a duet with you both?

A thread of tutoring Rhino/Blender from a dynamic duo would be efficacious!

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
I don't use Blender. I find it not very intuitive, and my time restraints have me putting my time into Rhino, as I also make parts and need to be able to make Blueprints. I know this is possible with Blender, but the time I would have to invest into a program when I have one far more capable is not worth it for per personally. I have had people say the exact oposite about Rhino vs. Blender, and I can understand that. That's what makes the world go round. :)

THE DC

Highly Esteemed Member
I'ver sent messages to the editors of ABC to get this one & a 1/2 page of parts (see above).

Hoping I get a response. I'll share my efforts.

Web searches have not revealed a scan of copy ABC volume 56 issue 08 (- ABC ročník 56 číslo 08 in Czech). I have been told that the editors have released copies of these kits for free access, given the limit international copywriter for kits this old, & that some Chinese sites have been trying to sell these with no reimbursement to ABC.

It was a generous move, but the sites do not seem to be active anymore.

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
I sent you a PM, I need to know what size paper you are printing these onto! :)

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
If you print these in 8.5" x 11" they will distort the picture. This whole model has to have the parts cut out and rearranged to fit on a 8.5 x 11" format. Otherwise you will have fitment issues. The model at 8.5" would have to be 12" tall. that 1/2 inch being all the difference. Doing the whole model is possible, but is this model really worth it? I imported all the pictures into Rhino3d and made a 11"x8.5" frame, and trying to 3D scale it, it wants to make the 11.5" dimension 12" inches. I could scale in one dimension but that would change the geometry of the whole model and, as I wrote earlier, possibly cause fitment on not being able to fit. To take the whole model and basically cut out the parts and fit it to 11x8.5" inches would take hours. Same amount of time in Photoshop. Easier in Rhino but still much time for a mediocre model. Let me know what you think. Many people try to build models in European standard onto ours, and have bad luck with them. Either you buy the intended size or larger size paper, and tell your printer to print by .pdf size, then the models uses up the paper and leaves blank edges, but comes out to scale, or you risk wasting a whole lot of time. This model will not fit on a 8.5x11" inch paper without severely distorting the pages, parametrically scaled (that is scaling all pats in proper relationship to each other). After an hour, I realized I would have to do the whole thing, and frankly, that is far too much work. I was going to cut out parts from the other pages and make the pieces, but when you wrote "11x8.5" inches, well, that is just a waste of time.

The only out is to find out what size paper it calls for and purchase that card stock or larger (Legal Format), if you can get card stock that size. Let me know your thoughts on this. I am just presenting the issues to you.

THE DC

Highly Esteemed Member
Yes.

It's a "counterfeit" product: used in "paper thin" in agreements.

:BRAVO:

Some might even argue "irregular sized" papers.

It's known to frequently load "crooked" in printers.

:exploding_head:

It's also associated with use "paper-thin" agreements.

Technical stuff...most often used by solicitors...or was that actually for those who solicit?

:surprise:

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Getting close. I basically scaled it to the other pages, and have have cut out 85% of the parts and put new lines on them so they look more defined, and have mobed themm to a new page, so you will have to look at the original to figure out what is what and be prepared to make some tabs, as they were barely visible. It was done by hand, so you will have to trim to make a perfect fit, but it should be real close. I have two days of doctor's appts., but should be done by the end of the week. ;)

THE DC

Highly Esteemed Member
"Tabs?!

Tabs?!

We don't need no sit-in' tabs!!!"

:rolllaughing:

Thanks much!

Looking forward to seeing your work!

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
The few on there will be easy enough to cut off. The picture was so fuzzy I had to leave some on just to get a better geometry of it. It's not perfect, but it should work, I hope. :)

THE DC

Highly Esteemed Member
Sorry for the original. Unfortunately I have had no response form the ABC editors, so that's the best I had to offer!

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Could you see if this will work? I drew lines as best as I could around the fuzzzy pic and scaled it to match. Problem is that to do the whole thing over and match the grey scale, well, that's way too much work. The parts should be to scale of the model, I'm just not sure of the page print size, as the original model pages are not standard U.S. sizes.

Attachments

• DC Mars River.jpg
    DC Mars River.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 12
Last edited: